Anybody stringing lights?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We started about 10 days ago. We just finished reconstructing 32 chasing trees, and getting ready to begin making 16 bellagio poles, another 16 3 channel poles, a 16 ft giant cross, and the construction of 2 miles of new cords to power the thing...well, if I had a display, that's what I would have been and currently doing...

Well that's what my neighbors thought I was doing earlier today, but what I was doing was seeing where I need to place my stakes around the perimeter for making my Orange and Purple fence light line to deter anyone from walking into the display area for Halloween, won't be stringing Christmas 'til about the 2nd week of November. Working on my Halloween display as the primary one for this year. Next year Christmas will get more involved. I actually found it easier to sequnce most Halloween songs over Christmas ones. So after the Christmas lights come down this year, I'll start working more and more on Christmas for 2011. This year Halloween will be my large display. Christmas will still be good, just running out of time with all the re-working I have to do now for the new controller coming in.

Edited by LOR-CF

Before I can string anything, excet for lying on ground for measurement purposes I have to mow the yard first, although if I could, I'd let it grow so the cemetery area would look delapidated and forgotten, but know the HOA and neighbors would bellyache until there'd be no tomorrow if I did that!

So hopefully this will be the last time (but I doubt it) I'll have to mow the yard before the Halloween decor goes up, then again, when it comes down and before the Christmas Decor goes up.

And I can't start putting up Halloween until the second week of October per the HOA Holiday Decorating Rules (or so I was told by a relative, which may or may not be true, I think the latter honestly because this relative does not like Halloween!) So unless I get permission to do so earlier, which I am going to try to do and try and explain why I need to actually start earlier this year, if possible and find out if there are such rules as put to me by this individual.

We started the desgin and testing of different elements in the last couple of weeks....then we got sidetracked when my wife decided that she want's to do a small Halloween display, so she has been busy building a new set of tombstones and I am busy creating my first set of sequences for our pumpking singing group with a ghohstly group to back them up.

You better hurry you will have snow up there before we do

I wish I live in the kind of climate they have in Seattle. We are in the frost these days. Last year it snowed on Sept. 12th where I live.

Well I am waiting to string lights until October, sure it might be 0 degrees F or 60 degrees F but that the way it goes. Most times it snows where I live on Halloween and the snow stays until late April early May so no matter what I always string lights in cooler & maybe snowy weather.

Officially started my build tonight. High work. There is no feeling like the stringing of that first string of lights. I hope it never ebbs and that it always is this way..........Man I love this time of year.

"Technically" we started in June when I added 2 additional colors to our mini-trees and then constructed ant tested the Mega-Tree. BUT I will be putting some up each time i get back home from now until Halloween. Going on Vacation and want to have most of it done before we leave.

We started two weeks ago also. It's soooo nice to start before the fingers get stiff. 1200' of icicle lights on the fence, 3' star on house roof, train all set to go, gees it's fun to watch it run around the track! Made a new car for it (gondola), there seem to be a lot of critters that want to ride in it,(tickle me Elmo and a few others). Much more enthusiasum this year,last year I was just dreading it.

I didn't start putting lights up yet but would love to.I need to get roof lights set on metal strips.Still thinking of how to do that part.Started working on some mini trees this week.Waiting for my grandson to finish some math then we will go outside & complete 2 of them.I got 10 tomato cages for free on freecycle a few weeks back.Using the metal chicken wire on the bottom half & the plastic on the top.Boy it sure looks alot better this way.

I also do halloween so that will be set up 1st.

Can't wait for christmas.My 1st year using LOR YIPPEEEEEEE!!!

I've got some lights around a small "fall harvest" display - a pair of boy-girl scarecrows sitting on a couple of bales in front of a small sycamore tree, with a string of 100 ct each autumn red, leaf green, leaf orange, and harvest gold lights on the tree "arched" behind the scarecrows. I'll put them on a controller later this week and fade them in and out, no music for now. I want to put my mighty minis shining on the scarecrows, but I'm having an issue with the DC controllers not going together properly.

One neighbor berated me for putting up a Halloween display way to early; other neighbors said they like the fall display, and are looking forward to seeing what we do for Halloween and Christmas.

So far I've just been repairing squirrel damage. ;( One of the little rats got up behind the star on the garage and ate *all* of the wiring off of it. (all CDI LEDs too ) Two more bellagio poles to make and then it's just a matter of waiting for the day after Halloween.

We have a lot of squirrels too, but I guess I've been very lucky, they havn't bothered with ANY of my LED or incandescent light strings at all. Now my ponds, fruit trees and plants are another matter!

I was told to buy some Fox urine powder supposedly available at Lowes or Wal-Mart and spread it around the perimeter of my yard and around the base of all the trees to keep the squirrels out of my yard, some of the folks in my neighborhood that have used it says it works very well, but I'm just not sure how that would work out, especially when it gets wet. Just wonder if it would "make a nasty smell" since it rains a bit here from time to time and I don't want a "stinky yard!" LOL And the neighbors that are using it are several blocks away from my house.