Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Classic.Lights

It's time time again!

OK Oregon the kids are back in School the mornings are getting cool, There a hint of fall in the air. Are we all ready for the season??? As always I'm behind again, How are all you doing?

3 steps forward, 12 steps backward. LOL Seems everytime I think I've completed a sequence, I go and get something else to add in, then had to buy another controller, so now I've got to revamp every Halloween an Christmas sequence to fit where each controller will be located in the yard to use the least amount of extension cords. Whooo boy, lots of work, but well worth it when the display comes to life!

Wish I could find about a million singe end extension cords, one male, one female end for about $5.00 for the entire lot! WITHOUT having to keep making all of them myself, now that's tedious work, especially for me!

And I'm out of wire and almost time! And still need more than I planned.....

When does it end???

Oh never mind, it doesn't! :eek:

Edited by LOR-CF

It's getting closer !!!! Real close for those of you doing the Halloween displays.

How's the progress ?

It's getting closer !!!! Real close for those of you doing the Halloween displays.

How's the progress ?

Well my halloween is almost all up.This will be my 1st year going LOR but saving it for christmas as a surprise gift to my neighborhood.As far as sequences I don't have anything complete but starting this week to finish.

Hi Fellow Oregonians!

Hey Gang I am a total noob.. been decorating for years, was getting bigger each year, but this year I am in the position to do it big. I am going computer controlled with 2 16 channel units as my first year.

I have the controller kits on order, supposed to be here tomorrow. I have a photo of the front of the house, inserted into LOR, and have been playing with sequencing. Put together a project time line and task list.

It is a bit late to get going, but I have a pretty good idea of what I want and have it all on paper. I have a good friend who is an electronics guru (and farmer ingenuity) and I own a computer repair shop, so between the two of us, I am pretty sure we can pull it off this year.

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I use a wheelchair so all the high work will be done by my buddy, but I will still be doing most of the other work.

I am super excited to get started and really appreciate all the help these and the other popular forums have provided. With so much help, it has made it a lot easier to get started than I thought.

Just a side snicker, I was ONLY going to have 16 channels to start, then when I did my layout on paper, I almost cried. Then I did the RIGHT thing and ordered another controller to have at least 32 channels for my rookie year.

I am located in Lebanon, I hope to talk with some of you folks.

Paul

www.paultrain.blogspot.com

Well welcome aboard with all us knuckle heads that drive are selfs crazy every year. All that a side its a great hobby, I'm sure your going to have a great time. keep us up-dated. :cool:

Welcome Paul!

Dave, What is up with the pillars?!

Same show for me this year with a few more songs if I get the urge. Considered taking the year off, but I just can't let myself come to that conclusion. 2011 will be totally re-done! Halloween is up and running as long as this weekend's storm doesn't blow it all away.

Are the Halloween displays going to make it through the week ? We are getting 40 mph winds just West of Portland. I'm still repairing the Christmas items in the shop so I haven't had to venture outside.

-Darin

:Hey Chris

Those are my two end turrets and the first part of this years display, I'm turning the house into a Christmas Castle this year! I should have the balance of the roof stuff up by the weekend, weather permitting of course. Looks like we have a lot of rain headed our way. Glad to hear your going to setup this year, its hard not to do some thing, this stuff just gets in your blood. Talk to you soon. :)

How's it going? I'm at 85% complete and should have no problem going live on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The wind storms in the Portland area have been fun. Those spiral trees are more of a wind vane than a decoration. During a power up test, I found that a few mini trees were reversed.

Does anybody work outside at night on the dry evenings? It's fun because you can live test portions of your display, but you also can't see what you are tripping over !

Hope everybody is doing well.

-Darin

in Forest Grove

Darin I just finished up with the display I'll do final testing to night or tomorrow all should be good I hope. this is the first year I'm a week ahead schedule. Merry Christmas.

Darin I just finished up with the display I'll do final testing to night or tomorrow all should be good I hope. this is the first year I'm a week ahead schedule. Merry Christmas.

Yeah, I'm a little ahead of schedule, but I hate to brag about it. I got a wireless laptop to remote control the main show computer so I can sit out in the car and make adjustments this year. No more running to the window after clicking the mouse :)

Well thats a pretty cool deal. Is that a laptop it self or a devise to connect to the laptop.

Nothing special; I was just using a wireless laptop to connect to the house router which in turn is connected to the LOR show computer upstairs. It's the remote desktop program that comes with Microsoft XP, Vista, 7 running over the network (Local area ethernet type, not the LOR RS485 network) You basically see the same desktop as the computer you are connecting to. It worked better than I thought. Last night I had was troubleshooting a GFI trip issue. I was walking around with the laptop while turning individual channels on/off until I found the culprit. It was easy because I was right next to the Christmas power station on the side of the house where I could hear the "pop" of the GFI tripping. When I used the hardware utility (actually running on the upstairs computer, but viewing it on my laptop); I ran through all the controllers while turning every channel on for each controller. It's a great way to make sure everything is working correctly. Most people just have their show computer near a window where they can see the display, but my LOR computer is on the opposite side of the house and upstairs.

Well it's that time again. Just started up my show at 6:00 tonight and all is going well. Here's hoping everyone has a great Christmas and that your displays bring lot of joy to those who come to watch them.

Merry Christmas,

Well it's that time again. Just started up my show at 6:00 tonight and all is going well. Here's hoping everyone has a great Christmas and that your displays bring lot of joy to those who come to watch them.

Merry Christmas,

Paul,

Great work once again. I drove buy your display on the way home the other night. It looks like the Blue C9 LEDs were new?

I usually tune in the radio on my way to work to catch daytime Zara radio stuff. It seems to work pretty good.

-Darin

Paul glad things are going well. I started mine tonight too. So far so good! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Dave,

Too bad you're so far away! We'd like to come down and check out your display. Good Job on keeping Southern Oregon Lit UP !!!

-darin

Paul,

Great work once again. I drove buy your display on the way home the other night. It looks like the Blue C9 LEDs were new?

I usually tune in the radio on my way to work to catch daytime Zara radio stuff. It seems to work pretty good.

-Darin

Darin,Thanks, Caroline and I were out out your place last night and I have to say your looks great. Looking at it as we were driving up it looks massive. I love the strobes. Hope the traffic is picking up I know there was another car with us when we were there. Here's hoping for a good season.Merry Christmas,Paul

Darin I would like to do the same, It would be fun to see what other light crazed people are doing. The videos are cool to watch but it's not like being there thats for sure. Well talk to you soon.