New LED style

I was a Biglots tonight which now has Christmas. Saw they had a new style of Led. If you dont like what they look like now, try these guys.....only $12 a box. The white is still a white-white instead of the warm white. Rest of the colors looks good. They do look just like traditional mini's

0912101626.jpg

Hey Chris, Target online has these in the C-9 bulb size as well. Did you pick any up to test how they might dim or work with controllers? Also it looks like the bulbs come out of the sockets, do they? That's not a bad price, considering you are getting 120 Lights for 12 bucks! Thanks, George

Edited by urthegman

I bought some last weekend, the multi's, they work just fine. Using them in a Coro design and insert just fine, but yes the Lens might come loose if you try to pull the light out of the coro. Pushing them out with a block of wood works best to remove them.

Lens diameter is .196" so be careful of the drill size.

I bought some last weekend, the multi's, they work just fine. Using them in a Coro design and insert just fine, but yes the Lens might come loose if you try to pull the light out of the coro. Pushing them out with a block of wood works best to remove them.

Lens diameter is .196" so be careful of the drill size.

Dennis, I was asking if the bulbs came out of the socket (like incandescents do) So if you were using them on a wire frame you could rearrange the bulbs to fit the colors you would want to use on a wireframe. Thanks,George

Ok, this is starting to sound like the problem that we had here a few years ago with LEDs bought from Target with removable lamps. Only difference so far is that the LED lamp looks different. Flashback, a few years ago. A few people reported that their LED strings from target were failing. Someone removed a few lamps thinking that they will just replace a bad lamp. Found the leads to the LEDs had rusted away leaving a redish brown stain in the socket.

Suggestion, will someone take a magnet to the led leads and see if there is an iron lead under the nickel plating. If it is iron, I suggest that you get some electrical grease (what they use on AL-CU junctions). Some places call it NO-OX grease. Squirt some in the socket and replace the lamp. This will keep the water out and you wont have the rusting problem.

I bought 24 sets of this style light at Walmart last year after Christmas. They were three color with the bulbs being green, red, white, green, red, white, etc. I took them apart three sets at a time and swapped the bulbs so I ended up with eight sets each of green, red and white and they will dim. They were in the Walmart type box, so I'm not sure who was the manufacturer.

I bought 24 sets of this style light at Walmart last year after Christmas. They were three color with the bulbs being green, red, white, green, red, white, etc. I took them apart three sets at a time and swapped the bulbs so I ended up with eight sets each of green, red and white and they will dim. They were in the Walmart type box, so I'm not sure who was the manufacturer.

Thanks Crawdad, I can't wait to see them in the stores, you get such a better idea and feel for a product when you see it in person.

Guest Lightzilla

We had those up this way last year but in 50 count Full Wave strings. They were called True-Match LEDs and were to look like incandescent mini lights in look and colour and it was very close. These were removal LEDs and looked like they would last (from corrosion), well it only snows here and no rain in December so not much happens here (for me) as far as corrosion goes for my removable LEDs.

We also have LEDs called "True-Glow" and they are in between a C6 & C7 light (a bit bigger than a C6 but smaller than a C7).......Remember those solid coloured incandescent C7 or C9 bulbs? Well these LEDs glow like that and the colours looked very close like a solid coloured incandescent bulb. These are sealed strings.

Not many people bought these up here and so they went on sale for 1/2 price at $6.98 a box for awhile and still no one bought them. I might buy them if a job comes up soon and they start off on sale in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Max for sharing your experience with us. I was asking if the bulbs could be taken out of the socket for use on a wire frame so you could put the colors on the wire frame where you would want them.

Yes I know that you wanted to know if the bulbs come out of the socket and could be moved around. And in post #8 your question was answered by Dennis. So, I pointed out that some people where having problems a few years ago with leads rusting on those types of strings where the bulb could be pulled out of the socket like the old minis do. So, what is the point of the above quoted post of yours? I dont seem to understand why you posted this.

Yes I know that you wanted to know if the bulbs come out of the socket and could be moved around. And in post #8 your question was answered by Dennis. So, I pointed out that some people where having problems a few years ago with leads rusting on those types of strings where the bulb could be pulled out of the socket like the old minis do. So, what is the point of the above quoted post of yours? I dont seem to understand why you posted this.

Just a sincere thank you for pointing out the possible problems and use of electrical grease with them and to see if you could in fact rearrange the bulbs. Did I do/say something wrong?

urthegman,

I suppose I took it wrong. You asked your question some time before post #8. Then in post #8 your question was answered. I then posted in post #11 about how some in the past have had a rusting of the LED leads. You then posted after that post thanking me for relating my experience. Then stating "I was asking about moving the bulbs around" or to that effect. Well that does sound like you are a bit miffed with my post and you are still looking for an answer. Or, how was my post related to your question. For me that fact that you restated the "I was asking" like I didnt understand your question.

So was the first part of your post, thanking me for that tid bit, just you being polite. Then the hey look "I was asking" to reinsert your question and please pay attention. If not, then I must have misread your post that I quoted. In that case sorry if I came back with a an up tight responce. Just seemed to me that Dennis did a fairly good job of answering it.

Hey Max, I re-read my post and can definitely see that if you combine my two sentences how it could be taken that way. They were two separate idea's and I think one of the flaws of the written word vs the spoken word. Just to let you know me a little better, I don't have a miffed bone in my body. Kindness and friendliness are two of the values I live by everyday. You can see that in my posts on this site,(at least I hope you can! LOL) When I am not asking questions, I am usually trying to help others when I can. Well, I am certainly sorry for my part in our misunderstanding and I am extending my hand to you, I hope you will take it and give it a shake right back. And thank you again, I had never heard of electrical grease before you mentioned it. God Bless and if there is ever anything I can do, feel free my friend.

urthegman,

hand taken and shook. Sorry that I took your post the wrong way. And if I seem to be giving a answer that is not an answer is because I was raise that way. I will lead you to the answer but might require that you look up and read some of the answer yourself. Sort of the teach you how to fish than to give you fish approach.

your friend

My only problem with switching lights around is I remember there being a problem with voltage. If you remove all the yellows for example and added another color the lights would not work right because different colors have different voltages. Does anyone remember this?????????

Edited by gsxr7500

The rusting issue should be in the past. UL code changed in March of this year. All Legs (or pins) need to made of copper instead of steel to be UL listed. The bad news is - that does increase the cost of the sets but it should eliminate the rusting issue.

These must not be UL rated....they still had metal posts on the bulb

Home Depot has these, there called the "Martha Stewart" LED's. I ain't joking either.

I was a Biglots tonight which now has Christmas. Saw they had a new style of Led. If you dont like what they look like now, try these guys.....only $12 a box. The white is still a white-white instead of the warm white. Rest of the colors looks good. They do look just like traditional mini's

0912101626.jpg