Flood light question

I have only ever used CFLs to light my cutouts. After a few minutes of warm-up, you can't tell the difference. Up in the Maritimes, you may need to give them a little extra warm up time due to the colder outdoor temps. Also beware that CFLs produce less heat. If you get a lot of snow, you may have to dust them off - they may not have enough heat to melt it.

Be sure to check the package: You want outdoor bulbs that will start down to -15/-20 degrees C (0 degrees F), some are only rated to start at or above 5 degrees C (40 degrees F)

Christmas nut,

I agree with Mike. When it's cold the CFLs come on pink/red but warm up to white pretty quick. The amount of light it great. We can't tell any difference between the CFL and the old 75 watt incandescent. The best thing is we cut over 10 amps of power off of our total when we switched. There is a cost savings there but more important, we now have more power for other items to be added.

I strongly suggest you switch to CFL floods. We bought ours at COSTCO and got a rebate on them to boot.

Good Luck,

Terry

I use landscape lights, (Malibu style) 20w I think. I have them around the house for the summer, just move them to the cutouts. I also use PC power supplies to power them. And you don't need the heavy landscape wire either. I will use bell wire, thermostat and old mini light wire.

I would worry about them not getting enough juice built up during the day in december to consitently light up the cutouts. The only time I used solar spots that worked consistently was during the summer months, around here, during the winter they would start to peter out around 9pm.