Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
RobertB

Give me your opinion

Ok,

I have been pulling my hair out on my display for 2010. Can't make up my mind. I have 128 channels, 16 are the DC LOR board for my Rainbow Floods. I have been juggling elements around in the display for more channels here, less channels there. Unfortunately another LOR board will not be in my future for this year (went up from 48 channels ;-) If you would, take a look at a couple of videos;

Now my reason for putting those in there is because I want you to get a prospective of the house and a couple of the elements that will be in there. Take a look at the attached picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37176[/ATTACH]

Couple of things that are not in the picture is that the mini trees will also been in GREEN as well as the spokes going out to them. I hope to put some Green LED's on the gutters too. Wish I could do the green icicle lights...but maybe that and red next year. Also there will be 4 trees that will have the Rainbow Spots washing upwards from the bottom of the tree. The walls on the upstairs and downstairs (the porch walls) will also have Rainbow Spots or Floods on them.

Here is where I need your opinion. The snowflake tree actually came from this thread;

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/39166-More-Structual-Coro?highlight=snowflake

Even though I was really wanting it to look something like this;:o

We men have to keep the wife's happy...in more ways than one. My wife does not like the falling snowflakes :-( She also does not like the mini lights that I have through the trees in my videos. I had gotten excited when I finagled some channels to get some green lights into the trees along with the green gutter lights. She also does not want me to do the snowflake tree. She likes the snowflakes and wants them randomly in the trees.

I already have the coro and have "patterned out" one. Soooo here we go;

1) To put mini lights randomly in the trees. White and Green. Yes or No.

2) Snowflakes like in the picture (in a "S" shape) , put them randomly in the trees, randomly on the roof and house (The angle of the roof might be hard to see....no way going on the upper roof. No ladder to get up that high!)

I am dying to get to sequencing, but need to decide on the setup. What do you think???? :confused:

Robert

Hi Robert,

1. Agree with wife. :) In general, I really dislike minis strung randomly through trees.

2. Disagree with wife. :( I love the "S" shaped snowflakes design.

I like your proposed 2010 design.

Richard

BTW, I've gotten no satisfaction on the CDI strobes. I'm very disappointed.:mad:

Robert,

I'll have to go with Richard except I didn't do the cascading "S" snowflakes. I just like the spread better for my layout.

Troy

Edited by tareohwhy
video code didn't work

Nice setup Troy!

Now curious on a couple of things;

Like the instrumental...first one on Vimeo...can't remember the name (long day). Also I kind of like the idea you had with the snowflakes. How big are yours and what are they made of? The ones I have are made out of the coro and are about 2 ft wide. The obstacle I have is that pine island you see in the video. If you watch when everything is on, you can see the trees I am dealing with. I think if I put them on the house...they would not be seen. Maybe tack them at different heights on the different trees? I am utilizing the trees with the one mega tree in the picture to the right is connected to a large pine tree. It really is a one sided tree. As well as the smaller one in the middle. The one to the left is half sided but using a 10ft pole.

Really am open for suggestions. Just need to hurry and settle on the setup, because it is time to get sequencing!!!

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,

I believe the instrumental you are talking about is "It's a wonderful Christmas". That is on Michael W. Smith's Christmas CD although I edited it to make it a little shorter. My flakes are 36" rope sculpture from www.noveltylights.com. I have 2 pine trees that I mounted 2 flakes on and the rest I did with "T" post varying the height. My opinion is if you do the cascading flakes you will need about as many as Holdman uses to get the effect. Flakes on the roof could be obstructed by the trees, but that would probably depend more on the viewing angle. I had wanted to mount some on my roof (which is steep as well) but haven't come up with a good way to hang them. If you spread them I would definately vary the height and viewing depth as well as alternate them in your sequence. This will be my 3rd year so I'm still experimenting as well. Rearranging this year and adding more poles and 2 smaller megatrees. If the only thing holding you back is flakes I would go ahead and start sequencing and just keep those in mind and go back and add them in later.

Good luck,

Troy

If I could come up with a way to get them up in the trees without them going wild on me in the wind. Mmmmm. The only thing on the trees (that I haven't mentioned) is that the 4 trees that you can clearly see in the picture will actually have Rainbow Spots lighting the tree trunk from the bottom Have already experimented with these some. Pretty bright. Bad thing...is I have 8 snowflakes and 8 channels for these. I would end up having to put some on those trees. I would have to be careful on the sequencing not to have the snowflakes on with the spots. Or maybe I will experiment with a spot and a snowflake. Could video it and see what everyone thinks. :-)

Here is Leesburg, GA???

Ok,

What about this then;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37350[/ATTACH]

This would move the snowflakes out of the "S" pattern. I would tack these things onto the trees.

Leesburg is about 80 miles south of Columbus. Personally I wouldn't want to spot a tree with the snowflake haning on it because you you would see it. If you spot the trees I might would just spread them around on "T" post and maybe hang a couple on the trees that aren't spotted for height varying. JMO :o)