Put controller is plastic storage bin?

In a effort to minimize extension cords I want to put some controllers in the yard. I like the idea of hiding them inside what looks like a present. Instead of building a wood box I'm thinking about painting a plastic storage bin to look like a present. Then place one or two controllers inside the plastic bin. The controllers would already be in weather proof enclosures; the plastic bin is just to hid the controllers.

Security wise, I think I can simply screw the lid to the box. And run a steel cable through the plastic bin. That should be enough to deter the grab and run. Someone would at least need a tool to get them.

Sounds too easy, what am I not thinking about?

Tks!

Joe

I use a plastic, weatherproof container. I put 2 holes in the bottom of the box to run the extension cords through to get from controllers inside to mega tree outside. Through the same hole I run a padlocked chain around the mega tree pole and through the holes in the bottom of the weatehrproof box and secured to controllers. THe Box also has a locking lid so I pad lock that also. I have had a few instances of vandalism over the years but no thefts...... I do the chain thing to try to keep it that way.

Doug

I will have to make a hole in the side of the bin for the cords to get to the controllers, that should assist with ventilation. Chuck's comment about holes for drainage is good. Dano, setting it on a couple 2x4's is a good thought. Locking lid?, hum don't think I've seen one of those; will have to check that out.

tks!

Joe

I've used a large plastic storage container to house 5 controllers for the last couple of years. I cut two 3 inch holes for the cables and cords near the bottom on the sides and also drill a couple of drain holes in the bottom in case any water got in. I secured the container to 4 stakes I'd driven into the ground and then strapped the lid and a tarp over everything with 4 tie down rachet straps. Yes, somebody probably could have gotten away with it if they wanted to spend the time to cut straps and unscrew screws... but unless you've got your controllers inside your house or garage they're going to be subject to being stolen. This setup would have taken quite a bit of time to undo and take.

• 1 month later...

I use a plastic, weatherproof container. I put 2 holes in the bottom of the box to run the extension cords through to get from controllers inside to mega tree outside. Through the same hole I run a padlocked chain around the mega tree pole and through the holes in the bottom of the weatehrproof box and secured to controllers. THe Box also has a locking lid so I pad lock that also. I have had a few instances of vandalism over the years but no thefts...... I do the chain thing to try to keep it that way.

Doug

i pad lock and chain inside the plastic bins as well, i dont lock the bins, if they want to go through the trouble of cutting a chain and breaking the lock let em....

Used cheapie Sterilite containers for three years now with no problems. Cutting holes takes a little patience as the plastic can split if you horse it too much. These "bins" have the added benefit of having a recessed channel around the bottom to direct water away from the board. Have a 1/8" hole drilled in each corner of this channel for drainage.

SANY0012-1.jpg

I use a Stanley 45 gallon heavy duty rolling tool bin purchased at HD. It has its own keyed lock and 2 clamping latches that can also be padlocked. It is screwed to my deckboards from the inside. 4 controllers mount nicely inside. I drilled 3" holes in the side to allow cords to go out. When the show is ready to be broken down, there is tons of room to store cords,light strings,etc. inside as well. It has large wheels and a nice extending handle which helps when I roll it in the yard. It has made setup much easier to have tools, lights and wire on hand in the yard instead of running back into the house for something.

I use a Stanley 45 gallon heavy duty rolling tool bin purchased at HD. It has its own keyed lock and 2 clamping latches that can also be padlocked. It is screwed to my deckboards from the inside. 4 controllers mount nicely inside. I drilled 3" holes in the side to allow cords to go out. When the show is ready to be broken down, there is tons of room to store cords,light strings,etc. inside as well. It has large wheels and a nice extending handle which helps when I roll it in the yard. It has made setup much easier to have tools, lights and wire on hand in the yard instead of running back into the house for something.

I use this same container. Have it wrapped in the plastic bags that look like Christmas wrap and a 1/2 inch cable lock secured to my mega tree. Like Mike said lots of room to store cords etc. in it.

Here's something i have done i have a spot on my fence inside my yard that i build a portable overhang an awning if you want to call it that here's some pics to kinda give you an idea. Its pretty crude but it works for me.[ATTACH=CONFIG]39753[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39754[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39755[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39756[/ATTACH]

I just finished mounting my LOR controller inside an 18 gallon container. I attached it to one side using four 11" tie wraps at the top, and two more on the bottom. I then drilled 6 holes around the bottom channel of the box, and a 2 1/2" hold one each end to run cords through. It will be hidden behind a large shrub next to my front door, and I will use a padlocked 7' steel cable through the box and wrapped around the base of the shrub. Here's what it looks like with the top off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40215[/ATTACH]

So question. After all the money and time I have spent on these LOR controller boxes (ie. soldering) and so forth my husband feels it would be okay to just put them in plastic storage bins to keep them dry and secure. Any other suggestions for security for an open acre yard with no little to no trees close to the display items, or should I just use most of all of my SPT2 cord and keep the boxes in the garage about 100 feet away?

All I know is those hooligans("GRINCHES") will have to spend more time trying to get my stuff than it took me to make it...

My controllers are in urethaned plywood boxes. Use the corkscrew augers for dog leashes under each one. A hook made from 1/2" steel rod engages the corkscrew and pass through a small hole in the top of the box. A small padlock then goes through a small hole in the 1/2" rod - locking the whole mess down. Have others in plastic bins, but those are in inaccessible areas unless they have a ladder.

• 8 months later...

In my case the controllers are behind the bushes at the front of the house, I secure them with cable and locks. I purchase the ones in the plastic boxes and then cover it with a heavy gage garbage bag to help proctect the cords from the weather.

I also poke a hole in the top for the wireless antenna, I attach that with a 2x4 so it is all protected and covered.

Then I put up my lighted sign that says "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again' - seems to work! ..... just kidding about the sign. But it is a nice thought for how to treat these vermin.

• 4 weeks later...

I kept my controllers in plastic bins last year, and hated it -- mostly because it cluttered up the look of my display (most everyone else ignored it though.)

There certainly seems to be two approaches that can work: (1) physical security, and (2) security by obscurity. #1 is obviously the best, but #2 can be very effective as well. Putting controllers in large gifts, trash cans, etc. are some really great ideas.

I'm still uncertain what I'm doing this year, but think I'm going to skip the plastic bin route.

• 1 month later...

Used cheapie Sterilite containers for three years now with no problems. Cutting holes takes a little patience as the plastic can split if you horse it too much. These "bins" have the added benefit of having a recessed channel around the bottom to direct water away from the board. Have a 1/8" hole drilled in each corner of this channel for drainage.

SANY0012-1.jpg

I'm curious how well this setup works for you with the plug outlets exposed as you have them???? This would remove ALL of my wire connection issues to new controllers. Do the breakers trip? do you cover these connectors with plastic or anything? Definitely interested!

I've used a "storage tub" for 2 seasons and I'm upgrading to easy-to-carry tool boxes that house 2 controllers. They cost $10 and are pretty water tight (after mods) They are placed up on the roof to allow for shorter extension cords. The rubbermade tub only lasted for 2 seasons :( But oh well, it got me through till I figured out what I wanted to do. I'll be doing the same for the ground display. Everything I have is secured and locked down. This year, it will be harder than ever to get to the controllers!

I've thought about trying the above idea but worried that it would cause breakers to trip... Anyone else do this?

The outlets get inverted and then covered by a plastic sheet. The boxes themselves are caulked as well. Have not had a single GFI or breaker trip due to this configuration. the snap on lid looks as though it would stay on, but I still duct tape it down.