Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ontario1

flood lights what types

Hi there friends i am here in ontario canada looking at diffrent types of floods for the display this year. all so want to cut down on power and amps being used i like keep the brightness around the 100 wats per flood.

what think about Led floods or know were can get at a good price as there still not cheap!

or CFL floods at a good price ?

love to hear what you people have to say!

Merry Christmas

Ontario Canada

Guelph

I am switching over to all CFLs. I have not had any problems with them so far. The CFLs are not really that much more in cost than regular floodlights and use a lot less watts.

If I had the choice, I would look for LED floods, but because of price I would go with regular floods. LED floods that dim really good can be hard to find, and a few of them are DC powered which is fine if you have a DC controller.

I have a white flood that I use for Halloween, and so far it works just fine. I am not sure how many wats it is, but it is pretty bright.

There are lots of options here, many have been talked about quite a bit. I'll sum up a few quick points.

1. Screw in types of LED Bulbs are available and can be purchased in various colors. These simply replace your existing 100w Flood lights. From what I can tell they do not provide as much light as a traditional Incandescent flood light and may take more lights to get the same coverage. Last I knew these bulbs were around $35 each. One nice thing about them is that the colors are way better than any painted glass incandescent flood light.

2. Then you have the DIY floods such and the VFlood, Mighty Brights, Rainbow Flood etc. these are all great solutions if your handy with a soldering iron. I've not seen any of them that are sold as a finished product, but I did take a lot of time off this forum over the summer so maybe someone is now selling them completed. One point with these is that most of them require a special controller that uses DMX or a LOR DC controller. Programming them is quite different as you can pretty much get any color from the rainbow with these lights. All the sample videos I've seen show them to be very bright and very effective.

3. Future products to look for: The LOR Flood light is coming, The last I heard from Dan these will be available around November. These are from what I understand fully completed flood lights with a controller able to run 2 floods and they are full RGB. I'm not to handy with the soldering iron so I'm eagerly waiting for Dan to put these babies out for sale.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

-Pat

Edited by chartrand

There are lots of options here, many have been talked about quite a bit. I'll sum up a few quick points.

1. Screw in types of LED Bulbs are available and can be purchased in various colors. These simply replace your existing 100w Flood lights. From what I can tell they do not provide as much light as a traditional Incandescent flood light and may take more lights to get the same coverage. Last I knew these bulbs were around $35 each. One nice thing about them is that the colors are way better than any painted glass incandescent flood light.

2. Then you have the DIY floods such and the VFlood, Mighty Brights, Rainbow Flood etc. these are all great solutions if your handy with a soldering iron. I've not seen any of them that are sold as a finished product, but I did take a lot of time off this forum over the summer so maybe someone is now selling them completed. One point with these is that most of them require a special controller that uses DMX or a LOR DC controller. Programming them is quite different as you can pretty much get any color from the rainbow with these lights. All the sample videos I've seen show them to be very bright and very effective.

3. Future products to look for: The LOR Flood light is coming, The last I heard from Dan these will be available around November. These are from what I understand fully completed flood lights with a controller able to run 2 floods and they are full RGB. I'm not to handy with the soldering iron so I'm eagerly waiting for Dan to put these babies out for sale.

-Pat

Good summary. The Rainbow Floods do come in an assembled form now, so you have the option for no soldering.

http://www.christmasonmanor.com/store/category.php?id_category=2

-Pat

Just a little update since you stated you were away for awhile.

VDRIVE/VFLOOD are now available as a fully assemebled units! On top of that they are specially priced right now, just in time to set up for your display!!

http://www.twodoglightstore.com/product.php?id_product=17

and for the Mighti Mini or Rainbow Flood owners VDRIVE is available as a fully assembled unit and custom matched to your flood of choice.

http://www.twodoglightstore.com/product.php?id_product=20

Edited by mnkyboy

Very nice guys, full soldering service. But they still look incomplete to me, or did I miss something? From what I can tell from the web sites, you still need to purchase something to house them in, I did not see a 110v plug for the VDrive which implies that maybe another powersupply is still needed for that, and I'm not clear from the web site how it works with LOR, do I need to purchase additional items for that as well? Maybe someone has a complet shopping list somewhere I've just not seen yet?

-Pat

Very nice guys, full soldering service. But they still look incomplete to me, or did I miss something? From what I can tell from the web sites, you still need to purchase something to house them in, I did not see a 110v plug for the VDrive which implies that maybe another powersupply is still needed for that, and I'm not clear from the web site how it works with LOR, do I need to purchase additional items for that as well? Maybe someone has a complet shopping list somewhere I've just not seen yet?

-Pat

VDRIVE/VFLOOD are DiY products. Even though they are offered as assmebled kits ( you will still have to seat 2 chips into the sockets), They still need the DiY touch for housings. mounting etc.

VDRIVE/VFLOOD operate off 12v DC so you would need a 12v DC switching power supply for them to operate properly.

VDRIVE/VFLOOD are designed using the DMX protocol. In order to use them with LOR you will need the LOR iDMX.

Check out this thread for more

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/41294-Introducing-VDRIVE-and-VFLOOD!

You can PM me directly for more info or Or use the website contact page!

With the Rainbow system you have a couple of different ways of controlling the lights. Remember though, that because all of these lights are using LEDs, they need a DC power source somehow. Both the V-system and all the Rainbow lights need a transformer.

With the Rainbow system you have 2 ways of controlling the lights. The first way would be to use the Rainbow Brain. The beauty behind the Rainbow Brain is you can put up your lights, add power to the Brain and connect all the lights together with standard cat-5 cable. Than take the same cabling and attach it to one of the 5 ports on the Rainbow Brain. The Brain does run on DMX, so you will need the iDMX if you are using LOR. The other option is to take a DC controller, either from LOR or d-Light, and cut one end off a cat-5 cable. Than you just wire 6 of the wires inside of the cat-5 cable to 3 of the channels on the DC controller. All this can is explained in the manuals for the lights. Here is the one for the floods...

http://www.christmasonmanor.com/pdf/Rainbow%20Flood%20Light%20User%20Manual.pdf

Here is a document showing how easy it is to setup the Brain to a DMX network...

http://www.christmasonmanor.com/pdf/DMX%20Setup.pdf

Here is how to program the millions of different colors that can be produced by the Rainbow Line of lights....

http://www.christmasonmanor.com/pdf/RGB%20Channel%20Setup.pdf

The beauty of this year is there are a ton of choices out there. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Come and visit us on my forums as well, which are dedicated to all the stuff we offer...

http://www.christmasonmanor.com/forum/

Also, don't forget to check out the product pages for all the lights as there is a ton of information there to explain how to use the lights...

http://www.christmasonmanor.com/products/products.htm

Greg

I am switching over to all CFLs. I have not had any problems with them so far. The CFLs are not really that much more in cost than regular floodlights and use a lot less watts.

Andy - I tried the CFL's with my LOR unit and I kept blowing out the bulbs. For me they'd last a week or two then they were toast. FYI, I was fading them quite a bit as I planned to use them for Halloween. After I replaced 3, I went back to the 85W colored one's @ Lowe's.