So... looks like no twig trees this year (well, no good & affordable twig trees)

nutz4lights

Looks like Target isn't going to carry the nice twig trees again this year and they were the last to carry a good quality, while still affordable twig tree. Sure, you can buy a fairly flimsy one from Kmart, with hardly any lights, and then Sears has a nice sturdy unit with a ton of lights (for $100), but neither of those is a good option. Walmart had a decently priced 6' unit a couple years back, but just like Walmart, they pulled it last year in favor of a more cheaply made LED based unit.

Just very disappointing... I think one of our vendors should get into carrying these... somewhere there is a factory that knows how to make them for a decent price if Target and Walmart were able to carry them (and several years ago, Home Depot was on that list too).

The wifey and I have notice over the years that most of today's deco is disposable - use it once or twice. I date all my pieces, some I have had since 1997! We have also noticed it with Halloween. I have a couple sets of black twig trees that are really great. But alas, those days are over.

I wouldnt consider those TWIG trees.

Im so *!, I bought 3 days ago the gemmy light box for 80$ and now they are 55$!, is there anyway I can get a refund?

Sure just return them to your Family Friendly store where you bought them...

Edited by Carrie Sansing

Here are 3 links to cool white, warm white, and multi color twig trees off Target.com...

As someone said above, that is not what most people refer to as a twig/stick tree. The Kmart one linked above is. I know that the description of the Target one says "twig tree", but it is different. Some folks call them Holdman tree line trees because Richard H was one of the first to make them popular. The problem I have with the Kmart version is that, up until a couple years ago, Target and Walmart would sell you a 6' version with more lights, for less month... they were $40 (maybe Target's were $50, but they were six foot tall and had 400-600 lights on 'em ).

As someone said above, that is not what most people refer to as a twig/stick tree. The Kmart one linked above is. I know that the description of the Target one says "twig tree", but it is different. Some folks call them Holdman tree line trees because Richard H was one of the first to make them popular. The problem I have with the Kmart version is that, up until a couple years ago, Target and Walmart would sell you a 6' version with more lights, for less month... they were $40 (maybe Target's were $50, but they were six foot tall and had 400-600 lights on 'em ).

I have 3 "stick trees" that Sears/Kmart were selling a few years ago that have 1,000 lights on them.

I have 3 "stick trees" that Sears/Kmart were selling a few years ago that have 1,000 lights on them.

Yep, I picked up four of those from Sears (not Kmart) on clearance. They are also 7-1/2 foot and they were $100 originally. Kmart sold 6-footers that year. Most of the 6-footers (Kmart, Walmart, Target) were 400 lights or 600 lights and were typically $40-50. The Sears trees were really nice... good thing they were 75% off though!

Yep, I picked up four of those from Sears (not Kmart) on clearance. They are also 7-1/2 foot and they were $100 originally. Kmart sold 6-footers that year. Most of the 6-footers (Kmart, Walmart, Target) were 400 lights or 600 lights and were typically $40-50. The Sears trees were really nice... good thing they were 75% off though!

Yes, the Sears ones are the ones I have, I'll snap a few pics so people can understand what a "twig/stick tree" really is.

Yes, the Sears ones are the ones I have, I'll snap a few pics so people can understand what a "twig/stick tree" really is.

Here's my army of six-footers in the garage last season:

IMGP7902.JPG

And here is what one of the 7-1/2 footers looks like (with my wonderful wife helping with the wrapping of green and red lights):

IMGP7931.JPG

I got my 7ft one last week. $5.00:D

Now I wonder.... If I can't find GREEN on white wire...put white tape on the branches??? Wonder if that would work.

Also curious how many lights are you putting on the tree in the picture???

Edited by RobertB

I got my 7ft one last week. $5.00:D

Now I wonder.... If I can't find GREEN on white wire...put white tape on the branches??? Wonder if that would work.

Also curious how many lights are you putting on the tree in the picture???

I have 800 red and 800 green on those.... I forgot to put this in your other thread, but make sure you go get a spool of fishing line (or have a neighbor with a spool that he isn't using!). With that many lights, some of the branches (ok, most of them) will start to droop a bit... The wife & I ran fishing line from the next highest branch down to the drooper to keep them straight...

Oh, I forgot to put this in your other thread too, but the guy that painted his green cord white, can back a few weeks later and said that the white paint had all chipped off. So I wouldn't suggest painting the cord... I know someone told you to, but they obviously didn't stick with the thread! I'm sure with a search we could find that thread... basically the chemicals that are used in the processing of the cord cause a poor bond between the paint and the cord.

Does she hire out? My twig trees are a mess.

Hah... I doubt it... I had to enlist her help because I had eight of the six-footers and four of the 7-1/2 footers to do... no way I was doing all those myself. We were typically tag-teaming one tree at a time and were able to do a tree in probably 1/2 hour. It wasn't too bad... When you get near the top, you typically realize that you're not going to reach the top with how many lights you have left, and then you have to go back and loosen up some and wrap them less densely... or grab another string of lights ;)

Just hit up my local Walmart and they were breaking out their 2010 twig/stick trees. They are LED again, this year, they are 6' tall (I swear they were 5' tall last year, but I could be wrong). I couldn't see how many lights were on 'em, but they were $40. Again, I thought they were 5' and $50 last year, but I am probably just getting old and forgetful. Either way, 6' and $40 seems like a pretty good deal... now just depends how sturdy they are when it comes to adding more lights...

FYI.

• 3 weeks later...

I got this email notification today from Mills Fleet Farm. Don't know if the lights are LED or reg minis, but here's the link for those interested.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/holiday-seasonal/indoor-decor/christmas-trees-wreaths/noma-6-ft-stick-tree-with-600-lights-clear

Those look awesome! You're not really in Tampa are you? Do they have the Fleet Farm on that side?