A real bummer-no Christmas display this year

Had rotator cuff surgery in Apr and found out it tore again. On top of that MRI showed I have cancer in my shoulder. So I am now faced with 15 radiation treatments and 3 months of chemo right after that. Couldn't have happened at worse time as I was just starting my water display set-up. Since I only have use of one arm there is no way I can do what must be done even with help from family and friends. It was a very painful decision to make but feel I have no other choice but to put off decorating for this year. A real bummer and a real downer! First time in 15 yrs I won't be decorating and it is going to be a tough Christmas for me. Hope to be back with a vengeance in 2011 and put out the new things I had for this year. In the meantime I will be enjoying looking at all your displays so hope you all post a lot of videos. A friend on FB made following post. Every old body has a young body inside saying ,"what the h--- happened." This pretty well sums it up for me.

Bill, Sorry to hear you are not going to do a display, if there is anyway some of us could help you please just ask. I know its hard to set on the side line and tell people what to do or ask for help, but all you have to do is say the word. 15 years is a long time to go and not have a display, you are setting yourself up for a real bad egging, lol. Please if there is anything we can do to help?

I am in the process of doing a wood cutout of the nativity. I am going to dedicate this project in you name so as you can recover from this ordeal your about to go through, plus I will be getting this set blessed by our father of our church. While I am getting it blessed, I will ask him to say a special blessing for your health and I will say a prayer for you to get you through this. All of you have been kind to me, so I want to return the favor in whatever way.

A real shame that you wont be able to put up your wonderful and inspirational display, but in the end your health is the most important thing and you should focus on getting back your strength and recovering. I hope all goes well and that you make it up next year with a great 2011 display, by that time a lot of the RGB lighting stuff will be more main stream

Bill, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know what a bummer it is to not be able to do a display. But the display is unimportant in comparison to your health. I'm going to keep you in my prayers and thoughts.. Get well quickly, my friend, and I do look forward to seeing you roar back in 2011!

Hi Bill

Sorry to hear about your health problems and I will be praying for you and your family. Just remember your health is the most important thing right now. I know how you feel iam just a week and a few days post op from major stomac surgery they cut almost 3/4 of my stomac away and did a gastric vertical sleeve on me Iam hopping I can recover enough to do my display this year if not the lights will be there next year I know there is no way Ill beable to climb on my roof so mabe ill beable to get my son to do the climbing. I really hope you do well.

Don In Kenner,LA

Very sorry to hear this, but it seems that you are doing the right thing. As Jen pointed out, you'll have an extra year of planning so that you can come back with a vengeance. Maybe you could plan some trips around the state to look at other displays? I don't know if that would make you feel badly or not, but for me, since I really like lights, anybody's lights, it would probably help my spirits -- even more so if you had a chance to talk with the folks who did the displays. Just a thought. I wish you the best recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill and I have worked together over the last couple of years organizing the Florida Mini. He is the driving force that makes things happen.

Bill,

I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder and the cancer. I have already been praying for you and your family. Stay positive and enjoy your free time this season and let your wonderful mind dream up a new idea for next year's display. I know you'll easily pull through this because you are tough as nails ol' buddy.