Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
lokicat

How to cope with disappointment

Today, a coworker gave me an ad for a local yard sale from the newspaper I hadn't seen. In bold letters the ad started with: Outdoor Christmas Decorations. That's all I needed to see. A quick check on a map, and I was off to the sale (luckily I was at a place in the day I could take an early lunch). When I pulled up, I saw a LARGE selections of blowmolds, all of them old. As I began to puruse the selection (and wiping drool from my mouth) the man selling them, informed me that not 30 minutes ago, a lady had come by and purchased ALL, EVERYTHING, THE WHOLE ENCHILADA!!! Now I have to spend the rest of the day contemplating what might have been.

Oooh, I know exactly how you feel..such a disappointment. But, hope springs eternal, there will always be more. I recommend some deep relaxation techiques, such as yoga, to get your mind off it. Chase that with a bottle of Scotch!

I know your pain!! Loki come on over to Knoxville and I'll help you out with some molds lol

Jim

oh and snoopy says howdy lol

I'd just put this song on "repeat one" and listen to it all day ;)

You sir are a riot!!! If I go to a mini or PLUS, I am hanging with you!

You sir are a riot!!! If I go to a mini or PLUS, I am hanging with you!

You will have a lot of friends to push through, because when Tim is at a Party he is the "Life of it" and everyone always surrounds him :P LOL!

You will have a lot of friends to push through, because when Tim is at a Party he is the "Life of it" and everyone always surrounds him :P LOL!

You can't believe how hard it was to remove that lampshade after the Chicago mini!

At least I will know how to find him! LOL

same thing happened to me about two weeks ago. they said everything they had was 50s and 60s stuff... by the time i saw the ad and picked up a phone they kept talking about all what they had and i was drooling and they later ended with "...but someone got them all already" whats worse is i have seen CL ad's with great scores, one person in my old hometown near KC had a ton of Noma stuff... in the ad she said she will NOT ship, so when i called a day later she shipped them to a guy in Minnesota... ticked me off lol. But theres always more!

Don't worry, sometimes you get to be the guy that just bought it all.

Wait to get 'the look' when you take it while they're looking at it. I felt a little bad but not for long.:D

hi

yes i know what you are going thru, my last ordeal is i had made a deal on a poloron mechanical santa. i had the money for and after about 4 months of working with the person they backed out on me arrrgh :( but then i have found some real good molds lately. what really makes me mad this is the third poloron mechanical santa that i have found and have made a deal and the sellers have backed out on me. so i know what you are going thru.

gary

I'd just put this song on "repeat one" and listen to it all day ;)

OMG! i have not heard this song for so long.. wow brings back some memories..

I'm feeling some now too!! I just missed 4 good pumpkin molds that i dont have!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRR day late and a dollar short lol

I guess I can take consolation in the fact I really didn't have the money to buy anything anyway. I apparently also missed out on one that a friend at work told me about this morning, although I wasn't looking this weekend. He said there was a 5-6 foot snowman that appeared to be motorized and holding a snow shovel. It was for sale for $15. He said it was in nice condition, and when asked why he didn't buy it for me, he told me it wouldn't fit in his car. Dude, that what a cell phone is for.

I had this same problem earlier this year. When I got there, I started to go through the boxes. A lady walked up to me, and and then called out, I'll just take it all. What, wait...but... AHHHH.

So, we both will just have to keep looking around.

Saw a dude at Menard's the other day...loading up all the choir peeps. I was tempted to just grab one to p*ss him off, but decided it wasn't in the spirit of Christmas. ;)

I guess I can take consolation in the fact I really didn't have the money to buy anything anyway. I apparently also missed out on one that a friend at work told me about this morning, although I wasn't looking this weekend. He said there was a 5-6 foot snowman that appeared to be motorized and holding a snow shovel. It was for sale for $15. He said it was in nice condition, and when asked why he didn't buy it for me, he told me it wouldn't fit in his car. Dude, that what a cell phone is for.

OMG, hearing that just made me cringe; my stomach hurts! Aaargh..$15 for a Poloron mechanical snowman? I would be screaming and pulling out my hair..

OMG, hearing that just made me cringe; my stomach hurts! Aaargh..$15 for a Poloron mechanical snowman? I would be screaming and pulling out my hair..

Oh my, I would be flipping out.

Thanks Carrie.... (as I pop a few Tums)

Honestly, the ones advertising the christmas stuff sometimes also know the value, so it may or may not have been a good deal, you know?

I know it sounds morbid, but Estate sales are where it's at. Make a plan, or get together with friends, work out a plan to hit them when they pop up. Be there first thing and done.

My neighbor - passed away and I didn't even know it. There was a ton of people standing in the driveway, which I thought was the family after the funeral type of appearance.

Well....it was the estate sale. When I came back from shopping...I saw people carrying tons of christmas stuff out... More lights and stuff were in the garage, and this was only 3 doors down.

I didn't have the cash anyway....but still UGH! (Plus...kind of shocking...because he was a new neighbor and it was a relatively new house too)

Keep your chin up!

If it helps any.... In the end of April, we have the Walleye Festival Garage Sale Weekend. Wednesday - Sunday solid neighborhood wide garage sales all across Freeland, and Saginaw. A group of us should get together and rock it out. I'm hosting my garage sale Fri-Sat. It's an all week deal...could split up into groups.

OR... if you wanted to sell your christmas stuff during my sale, we can have a barbecue etc.

Edited by trickytransam

Yeah seller know whats up alright. I drove 90 miles one way to pick up an agreed upon price package deal of molds today. funny i got there and few key molds werent there.. I still purchased them and got a good deal on the molds.. 14 of the 65 i didnt have. but the dishonest craigslist posters cheated me out of an empire church and a few other odds and ends. how low do you have to go to cheat and lie about a church???

Jim