Mega tree, question about Home Depot LEDs

Just saw some Home Depot LED lights here:

http://www.homedepot.com/Decor-Holiday-Decorations-Christmas-Lights/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg5Zbd6tZ1z11erc/R-202335320/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I have had a 10 foot mega tree from Christmas Lightshow for two years and have used 15 strands of the 100 ct incandescent minis for the two years simply because when stringing the tree I am able to string a single 100 ct from top to bottom to make two strands on the tree thereby when adding all 15 strands I have a total of 30 strands to make the tree fuller. I have the 15 strands split by 5 channels with a Mr Christmas music box so there are 3 strands plugged together to make one channel.

I had contemplated going LED when I first got the tree but could only find 70 count strands which would not give me enough length to make it from top to bottom with one strand thereby making two strands on the tree. Then I saw these 100 ct LED strands at home depot and was wondering if anyone had tried some of these Home Depot brand "Home Accents" LEDs before, we all know how some LEDs are not worth the time, effort, or money to buy from connection problems or weather related rusting of the contacts on the replaceable bulbs. The way I have my setup these LEDs would also have to be able plug end to end to make three strands for one channel. If you purchase the 18 pack from the link it comes out right at $9.00 a strand. Has anyone tried these? tks

I tried to explain my setup the best I could but here is a picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38416[/ATTACH]

1. Open a box at the store and verify the ends.

2. Also verify is they are the replacement bulb type, if so you may end up with rust issues.

3. The box should tell you the total length of the string, so compair that length to the length of the type you use currently.

These are most likely going to be 1/2 wave LED's, but the Mr. Christmas probably does not do a lot a fades and so would probably work fine with 1/2 wave LED's

At $9 each I would recommend using what you have already for this year, and either doing an after Christmas sale, or a small buy from Paul or Travis to either get less than $9 per box, or to get higher quality lights.

-Pat

Maybe It's just me, but the lights I recieved from Paul at CDI seemed brighter than the ones I purchased last year from Lowes on there after christmas sale...also If you have an issue with the lights Paul's customer service is fantastic.

Tks, I know had problems with rust issues on my other leds that are replaceable, had to use die electric grease in the sockets to keep them from rusting. As far as opening a box at the store, its online only. I am pretty sure they are half wave, but dont have a problem since MR C just blinks on and off. I am reading checking on some of the vendors right now to see the prices and strand count. tks again for the reply

Ted

The "Martha Stewart" LED strings at HD will not work well with light controllers. Only about a 20% dimmable range and are sensitive to triac leakage (stays partially lit). They are socketed and have two replaceable LEDs - yes they have steel leads. There is little price difference between them and the many LED vendors we have here at PC - plus we know they'll work with controllers.

Edited by Flanigan

It's been said before but check out Paul's site, http://www.creativedisplays.com. He has 100CT C6 in various colors. I recently purchased the 70CT Green. I had never seen fullwave before and I plugged in one strand and was amazed. Vibrant color. I ordered on Wednesday afternoon and had them on my doorstep on Friday. Mention the forums. Great to deal with.

The other type of LEDs at Home Depot appear to be replaceable, however, the dome that covers the LED is supposed to be sealed supposedly making the waterproof or so the box said. They might have some sort of rubber gasket that protects the socket from the elements. They definitely look like they are better quality, but they do cost more than the other brands out there. It was 12.97 for 50 and 19.97 for 100 if my memory serves me correctly. That said, they are new and I do not know there functionality with LOR. They are the M5 variety and do not have the look or traditional minis. Hopefully this helps.

Will Sanders