Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
CraigH

Where is your LOR controlling computer?

I have my 100' CAT5 cable, but realized that outside and inside have a wall between them :o

Where do you all put the computer that is running the Light-O-Rama display? Here in Michigan, we can have some serious snow in December, so a cable crossing a sidewalk to get into the garage might present a snow removal problem. Having it outside in a covered tote surrounded by a bit of insulation an option?

I was thinking I should deal with this now, before the ground is frozen and covered in the white stuff!

Help!

You generally don't want to run a computer outside in sub-freezing temps. Too many mechanical parts (e.g. hard drive).

I keep mine in my home office, and the cable sneaks out the window without disturbing the weatherstripping much.

Mine is in the garage. Could you have the Cat5 cross under a porch or over your front door to prevent crossing the sidewalk?

We normally don't have issues with too much snow here, but we do have moisture problems. THat being said, I put mine in the crawlspace of our house, at the top with no monitor/keyboard/mouse. Starting with Windows XP you can turn on remote control and take over one PC from another PC as long as it is on the network somewhere. I put it up at the top on an inside wal support so that it won't get too cold. or moist,

--Joe

Ours is in the garage. Our CAT5 runs around behind the house and back up to the front garage where it goes into the garage.

I should mention that our CAT5 is all buried in the ground and just pops up at the side of the garage. My husband cut a hole in the garage wall to feed it through and finished it off with some electrical covers and spray paint. It looks pretty good and is unnoticeable to the average person. My rule is "no cords showing" and he complies :) We don't have any cords running in and out of windows or draped down the side of the house. The only cords visable are the extension cords in the grass.

I run mine out the drier vent. The hole was already there so there was no need to add another one. I have vinyl siding and it makes a great wire channel.

I'd tell you, but I don't want Dano to show up and abscond with it...

I keep mine in the basement. I put an empty outlet box with a waterproof cover where they (cat5 and audio) come out.

Mine is on a shelf in the garage, with the cat5 cable running under the overhead garage door. Knock on wood, but for the past 2 years, I’ve never had a problem with the cold.

Due to outlet locations, I would either have to add 50’ to every power run, or cross the sidewalk.

Last year I did the cross the sidewalk thing with both power and cat5 cables. When it snowed, I very carefully shoveled the snow off of, and from around the cables. Knowing where they crossed the sidewalk made this pretty easy.

If I have time this year, I’m planning on splitting a PCV pipe in half, and using that to cover the cables.

I had to snake a cable through a window. I used one of these super-thin CAT5 cables last year and it worked really well (http://www.vpi.us/cable-sf.html). The window was able to fully close and I couldn't feel any draft. The cable held up exceptionally well and I had no issues with the network at all.

Last year from the garage. But this year it will remain in its normal location in the computer room upstairs. I have a sidewalk issue too -I use the really heavy duty outdoor "welcome" mats to run the cables under for crossing the walk. This particular crossing is up by the house, not the street, so I am not worried about the mats. Plus, no tripping, and if anything hits the mat, the cables are protected underneath. (Normally I do not have to worry about snow before Jan 1st)

I installed a RJ-45 outside on the patio. I just jack into it when necessary.

I have the same. I have a RJ-45 wall plate on the wall where our Christmas tree goes. There is another RJ-45 wall plate in a weather proof electrical box outside on the wall opposite this jack. Its just a pass thru hook up.

I run mine out the drier vent. The hole was already there so there was no need to add another one. I have vinyl siding and it makes a great wire channel.

do you run it by the dryer tube?

I don't run Any cat 5 across the lawn. Computer is in the garage and I use lynx so it is wireless. Cost 100.00 for tx and 3 ex.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

My computer is in my basement. And then cables for lor protocol, lynx (dmx) protocol, audio, and Internet all run into multiple boxes on the side of the house (through the foundation)

Front bedroom. I ran the CAT thru the floor, along the basement and drilled a small hole in the side of the house. I use electical putty to stop the draft and to seal during the summer.

Steve, thanks for the tip! What a time saver for me!!

do you run it by the dryer tube?

Yes, mine is a steel tube and I drilled hole just big enough to fit the connector through. I stuffed the cable in to the tube until it got close enough to grab it from outside. After the season is over, I pull it back out and put a piece of aluminum tape over the hole.

Last year I did the cross the sidewalk thing with both power and cat5 cables. When it snowed, I very carefully shoveled the snow off of, and from around the cables. Knowing where they crossed the sidewalk made this pretty easy.
I run my CAT5 and all of my power over the sidewalk. I run through a 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe next to the porch; where you have to step up anyway. I drilled a hole at each end and hammered and 8 inch spike into the ground. I added the pipe because I was afraid that someone else might shovel the walk and wouldn't know the cables were there. It works out well.

A lot of examples here so, not that it matters but: I have my laptop show computer in the basement in the electrical service area; the laptop plugs into a female jack in the basement; the first controller plugs into a female, weatherproof, jack outside the house that is connected to the jack in the basement.

Guest Lightzilla

Well I had the show desk top computer in the bedroom close to the display the 1st year.

I actually bought a Lap Top to run the show after that but it is still new and was not used yet to run the show as of yet, I actually like the MP3 director/player and that works great for me and those in the house because anyone can use it in the house and change an SD card.

However some of my sequences require video this year and so I will be using the Lap Top and MP3 director/player this year. I set it up at the front door now a days.

The computer is located in our family room. We cut a hole in the wall to the outside, inserted a piece of pvc pipe into the hole. I run the cat5 and some speaker wire out through the pipe and then we used expanding foam to fill the pipe. The cat5"lives" outside during the year, coiled, sealed and covered so it doesn't corrode. Works great, no drafts, no insects coming in.

By the way, since you are in Michigan, FYI - this year I'm switching to Cat 5 rated for direct burial. I'm not going to bury it, but it is supposed to be less susceptible to cracking when "people" (like deer) step on it.