Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Alabama_Santa

Time to start putting up the lights!!!

I am still recovering from a broken foot, and getting pins taken out of it this week. But the lights must go up.

I am starting on Friday and plain on light it up the Sat. after Thanksgiving.

When do you start?

And

When do you guys turn on the lights?

I drag out the crates from storage to the garage on Thanksgiving afternoon/evening. I begin putting up the mega tree on Black Friday - taking out time for the Alabama / Auburn game of course - I finish the mega on Saturday and start putting out the minis, snowflakes, icicles and hang wreaths on the windows. Last year being my first year I expect it to go a little faster this year cause I will know more about what I'm doing. Bahaha!

I turn em on the day I finish. I use a Showtime Director to run my show.

Edited by decoRator

awesome! folks in my area. I'm in Decatur and grew up in Hartselle. I'd like to get addresses so I can possibly see the decorations at some point down the line.

I plan to start my first run at light control this year. Am about to put in an order for a 16ch kit and hopefully continue adding throughout the years.

I have 1/3 of mine up, tested and ready to go. Mega tree goes up this weekend. After a final cutting of the grass the lawn stuff goes up the following week so I can have my pre-lighting party for neighbors and friends on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Lights go on black Friday.

I start the day I get home for Thanksgiving break! So probably the Tuesday night or Wednesday morning! And the lights come on (hopefully) by that Saturday and if not then that Sunday and don't go off until after New Year.s

Guest Lightzilla

I started putting up lights on October 1st. I am about 70% done with lights, but then comes the lawn decorations.

Started Nov 1st, and will finish set up this weekend. Lights go on the night of thw 12th! Not waiting until Thanksgiving this year! After all the hard work we put into it, I am going to enjoy it as long as I can. If the stores can already be lit up........so can I! Good Luck all, and remember safety first!

awesome! folks in my area. I'm in Decatur and grew up in Hartselle. I'd like to get addresses so I can possibly see the decorations at some point down the line.

I plan to start my first run at light control this year. Am about to put in an order for a 16ch kit and hopefully continue adding throughout the years.

There's nothing like the thrill of seeing all your hard work come to life when you start your show. This will be my second year. I had 16 channels last year and ran a RWG mega, 9 songs and 8 mini trees with it. Got 16 more ch. this year for 32 total. But for this year I will probably just make last year's statics go blinky blinky with it. The changes I had planned to make are turning out to be harder to work into my old sequences than I imagined. Just adding one more color to my mega messes up all my timings. Looks like I'll be starting from scratch for my 2011 show. PM me w/your email so we can stay in touch. We're not far from Sparkman School out 36E.

Ok...I have started! Today I completed the C9's on the Roof/Gutter. These are new this year. I added about 80, red C9's that are the dimmable Retro C9 LEDs from CDI. This year I am also doubling my channels from 32 to 64, so that I now have two colors on each of the items. Also added some strobes.

I hear what you are saying about modifying your old sequences to add the new color....it is tough and tedious, but hopefully worth the effort.

I also ordered a radio sign from www.holidaycoro.com and I have that completed too. I am replacing my older 4'x8' radio sign with the new smaller coro one. Looks great.

Happy lighting everyone!

Mike

There's nothing like the thrill of seeing all your hard work come to life when you start your show. This will be my second year. I had 16 channels last year and ran a RWG mega, 9 songs and 8 mini trees with it. Got 16 more ch. this year for 32 total. But for this year I will probably just make last year's statics go blinky blinky with it. The changes I had planned to make are turning out to be harder to work into my old sequences than I imagined. Just adding one more color to my mega messes up all my timings. Looks like I'll be starting from scratch for my 2011 show. PM me w/your email so we can stay in touch. We're not far from Sparkman School out 36E.

Cool. I replied to you via email earlier.

I'm in the Chapel Hill area of Decatur.

I just got my 16ch LOR in today. One thing about my setup I'm kind of sad about is that I only have multi colored lights, so doing anything special with one color at a time is out of my capability unless I go drop a lot of cash on new lights. And I don't see me doing that this year with a newborn (10/26 birthdate) and all the monetary attributes. ;)

I'll need to get some info from you on how to go about setting up initially. I do plan to build a mega tree (built last year, need to tidy up this year) but don't really have any other plans. I've got a good bit of lights, but no real plans yet. My biggest goal right now is to line the roof, but with the steep pitch, and the 2 story height, I'm not too confident with getting up there.

I plan to start up this weekend as long as the weather permits. I still need to settle on an FM transmitter and decide if I want to DIY a sign or order one.

Started pulling everything out of storage in late august, testing and repairing. Got the candy canes and mini trees up yesterday Now wrapping the 4 main trees RGW, then icicle lights, snowflakes etc... planning on lighting it up december 1st. already had half a dozen people stop by the house yesterday and today to ask if I was doing the display again.

You guys mind sharing specifics (ie: # lights/channels, location, etc)? Maybe we could have some sort of group email going around for us in North Alabama?

I know I'd love to get input from locals, especially since this is my first attempt at this.

My addy is:

[email protected]

Lights are on at my house from day after Thanksgiving through January 2nd ... I really don't have a plan yet for when to start - the leaves are refusing to fall off of our trees and the weather has been so great that I've been playing tennis when I should have been in the garage getting organized and ready! I guess that is a dead giveaway that my display is entirely static :rolleyes:

Kathi

I started the first part of September on the roof and am just finishing on the ground stuff and plan to test it al this weekend.

GO TIDE!! We need you to win.

erinh, about the multi colored lights -- I'd bet my 5 section/60 string mega set-up would work great with a multi tree. I'll email specifics and pics/video as soon as I can. Got a sick relative in hospital that I need to visit tonite but am off work for Vet's Day tomorrow and can send info.

Just in from a race in Fla, Have three weeks to make it happen...Lights come on Dec.,1

Hope everybody has fun with their displays!!

We have already started getting the lights....we are probably 50% up right now. Controllers have tested so everything is good there. Lights on will be the day after Thanksgiving!

erinh, about the multi colored lights -- I'd bet my 5 section/60 string mega set-up would work great with a multi tree. I'll email specifics and pics/video as soon as I can. Got a sick relative in hospital that I need to visit tonite but am off work for Vet's Day tomorrow and can send info.

I'm all ears.

I've tried to find pictures of the setup from last year but no luck so far.

It is ~14' tall and we didn't have near enough lights. I racked up on the LED lights from the Lowe's 'deal' last weekend. 118 boxes of 50ct lights, so those will be used on the tree and probably the roof.

I'm wanting to do arches but I think I'm already running out of channels. I've considered purchasing a 2nd 16ch LOR unit, but don't want to get in over my head just yet. The FM transmitter has been ordered and I'll have to DIY a dipole this weekend.

So far I've only managed to walk on the roof and say "I don't know about this". Otherwise, the only extent of my decorating thus far has been building a stand for the LOR box. :D

Here's a picture of what we're working with:

IMG_7909.jpg

Edited by erinh