Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jfelix

Where are all the Georgians at?

Larry me and the family plan on taking the drive up and take a friend and his spouse. You need to PM me directions. Probably come up early in December if not next weekend. Can't wait too long as once we get busy traffic duty calls. We are being featured in the Our Town magazine in our area in the month of december.Might drive our traffic way up.

Hey Joey,

No need to PM directions... I'm not hiding my location this year. We actually have a PR manager. (Oh Lord please help me)

From anywhere... make your way to GA 400 and take exit 13... head north for 8 1/2 miles. turn left on Pisgah Rd, then turn left on Haley Farms Dr. We are the first street on the right.... Usually at the end of the line of cars :)

Google maps has us as well... 4730 Bryn Ridge Ct. Cumming GA. 30028

Please be sure to let us know your here... if we're not outside come knock on the door.

That was me they heard talking to Mike on 147.015.... Small world :)

Oh awesome. They didnt hear you talking this last thursday about it I just knew whoever had to be a member here ha ha. so where is your display at?

I see your location in Acworth.

So Robert, are you the one that Tom competes with? ha ha... Great. Can't believe Ham's That chat on the net my folks do decorate. Wish my father wasn't so Bah humbug about Christmas

WOW . A concert how neat is that.

Hey Joey. I plan to check out yours not sure when./ Most likely will hit the D-vill (Blearnings) one then Larry's, then come by yours. Not sure I make it to Acworth or others I sure would like to.

Edited by PCguy

Whew! Just spent the last two full days getting all of the lights on the house and shrubs. This is wearing me out. I only have about 12,000 lights. I don't see how you guys with the huge displays do it! My hat's off to you all!

I will be making a big circle around to see as many of your displays as I can in the next couple of weeks.

Whew! Just spent the last two full days getting all of the lights on the house and shrubs. This is wearing me out. I only have about 12,000 lights. I don't see how you guys with the huge displays do it! My hat's off to you all!

I will be making a big circle around to see as many of your displays as I can in the next couple of weeks.

WOW 12,000 how do you do it ha ha, I know some have 40,000+ that is just insane. here I am with just 4400-4500 past two years and this year not even that.... so far only have about 800 lights up on my mini mega tree I call it. I am wore out from two days work I am also gotten sick to so that no help at all.

Been outside working the last two days till 12:30am. About 80% of the lights are out, still gotta place and wire in the controllers.

Weather isn't looking so great Tue, Thurs and Friday. High Friday is 46 degrees.

Build-A-Sign came through for me this week. I ordered 18x24" decals for Tune To Sign. The order said estimated delivery was 11/29, but I got it Saturday the 20th. (4) 18x24 for tune to, and a couple 12x18 "Please don't block the driveway" signs, all for $55. I'm going to attach the tune to decals to lexan, and hope light will pass through ( still gotta build the box) but if not, will light it flood light style with minis, which should look fine.

I think I'm going to run out of vampire plugs.

Been outside working the last two days till 12:30am. About 80% of the lights are out, still gotta place and wire in the controllers.

Weather isn't looking so great Tue, Thurs and Friday. High Friday is 46 degrees.

Build-A-Sign came through for me this week. I ordered 18x24" decals for Tune To Sign. The order said estimated delivery was 11/29, but I got it Saturday the 20th. (4) 18x24 for tune to, and a couple 12x18 "Please don't block the driveway" signs, all for $55. I'm going to attach the tune to decals to lexan, and hope light will pass through ( still gotta build the box) but if not, will light it flood light style with minis, which should look fine.

I think I'm going to run out of vampire plugs.

Glad those signs came in for you!

I wanted to stay out late last night...this morning. However I just fell out from exhaustion! Still working at it today and probably tomorrow. I have to get finished before Tuesday night to do some testing. Leaving town Wed and won't be back until in the afternoon Friday. Still need to do some more sequencing but do have about 5 or so songs done.

Now time to cram the sandwich down my throat and get back out there to putting up lights! Thank goodness I have this week off ;-)

Robert

Glad those signs came in for you!

I wanted to stay out late last night...this morning. However I just fell out from exhaustion! Still working at it today and probably tomorrow. I have to get finished before Tuesday night to do some testing. Leaving town Wed and won't be back until in the afternoon Friday. Still need to do some more sequencing but do have about 5 or so songs done.

Now time to cram the sandwich down my throat and get back out there to putting up lights! Thank goodness I have this week off ;-)

Robert

That's right, school's out this week. Right now, I'm mounting these other three controller boards in those cases we bought. Only one song sequenced :(

icon1.gif Re: Where are all the Georgians at?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by
RobDude30
viewpost-right.png

WOW 12,000 how do you do it ha ha, I know some have 40,000+ that is just insane. here I am with just 4400-4500 past two years and this year not even that.... so far only have about 800 lights up on my mini mega tree I call it. I am wore out from two days work I am also gotten sick to so that no help at all.

LOL! Yeah, I guess it is a lot, but like you said some folks have an insane amount. Anyway, decorating is a ton of work.

Edited by RobDude30

I'm so glad I started early! The Yarbrough Light Spectacular is up and running! I have so minor tweeking but it all came together and that includes a few new custom Items as well.

Making progress here. Mega tree 2 is up, roof check, house outline check, mini trees check. Tomorrow driveway arches, yard grid & outline, hopefully finisg three trees, and cords cords cords. Hope to test and see that everything is still working even if I have to do it one controller at a time with the laptop. Tom 12:30 am you are a better man than me. Spent 2 days on my roof and my body aches.

Still need to wire 3 controllers, make 1 spiral pole, and 2 fire sticks (or whatever they are called). Keep your fingers crossed for a Thanksgiving light up.

........... my body aches.

.........................Keep your fingers crossed for a Thanksgiving light up.

The two things that hurt right now ;-) Tom why did you say you stayed up till 12:30am??? My body kept saying..."aren't you going to go to bed?" while my head kept saying "Hey...Tom was able to do this....your a wimp, your a wimp...Tom was able to do this...". I hurt sooooo bad. Started yesterday at 7am something....stopped at about 12:45am. Trying to quickly eat breakfast and beat the sun coming up. Easier to put out lights in bushes when you can see them in the dark.

Aaaaaahhh. Also discovered I am 4 channels short!!!! Stupid me, stupid me! Had one channel extra for some reason only to discover I was a channel short on each mega tree (when assigning the channels out). Guess separating the porch bushes out won't happen now. Rob from there and then...looks like the one DC channel I had on the LOR board....I will put a relay there and run my strobes on it! Let's hope nothing else surprises me ;-) The sun is coming up...aaaahhh. Must hurry. Bye!

Hey guys... light up is Thursday night. Stop by and say hi if you're anywhere near, we'll be out all weekend. We finished the setup yesterday afternoon and anchored down all the wire. Today all we are doing is tightening up the spiral trees, they sagged a little bit in the storm last week.

Here's a first this year. We actually managed to pop an LOR fuse. Ran a quick test on the controller and all is well but we kind of lost count on a couple channels. #5 had almost 9 amps and #6 had 7. The side had a total of 22 amps... Oops!

Come check it out and don't forget to say hi.

New this year: 4 Mega trees, 2 Spiral trees, everything moved around and a lot more lights.

Lunch break...checking my GA brothers.

Here comes the rain fellows!!! This looks like a slow mover too. Plug em' up fast ;-)

Robert, I was outside till 12:30 again last night. Believe me, I know the pain you're feeling. Now that the leaves are up in the front yard, (photo shows the last 10% of what we had already got up, BTW is there a way to rotate images in the forum?) So now, it should be simple to stake the controllers in place and run the cords.

Looks like the rain is going to slow things down. But, got plenty of work I can do inside.

Have two more controllers to install outlets on ( see attached [grr, rotate 90deg] ) and sign to build. Decals I got from Build-A-Sign really look great.

Also shown is one of the Rainbow Floods mounted in a 4gang switch box. Just need to paint the blue part and wire them in to the DC controller.

Still only got one song sequenced though. Hopefully when the wiring is complete I can crank out a song a day.

I finally got my train placed. Since we moved it to another side of the yard, we had to change all the lights around. Got most of the smaller side of my yard done. Came home and got the grass cut today before the rains came so now I can get busy on the main part of my display. I won't have everything done by Thursday but will light up with what I have and finish up during the weekend.

Started setting up the display yesterday, and spent a few hours again today (as I will each day the rest of this week) Expect to have all up and running the day after Thankgiving. (setting up dislay in the afternoon and evening and final tweeks to sequences every night).

Robert, I was outside till 12:30 again last night. Believe me, I know the pain you're feeling. Now that the leaves are up in the front yard, (photo shows the last 10% of what we had already got up, BTW is there a way to rotate images in the forum?) So now, it should be simple to stake the controllers in place and run the cords.

Looks like the rain is going to slow things down. But, got plenty of work I can do inside.

Have two more controllers to install outlets on ( see attached [grr, rotate 90deg] ) and sign to build. Decals I got from Build-A-Sign really look great.

Also shown is one of the Rainbow Floods mounted in a 4gang switch box. Just need to paint the blue part and wire them in to the DC controller.

Still only got one song sequenced though. Hopefully when the wiring is complete I can crank out a song a day.

hey thats a pretty cool idea with using reg oulets rather then cords and putting all inside a box like that cuts down on price for buying cords and cutting them...

This weather stinks. I got darn sick from being out in the cold and hot for my landlord doing his lights cant even finish my folks lights yet.

hope to get it done tommorrow I will be there all day

hey thats a pretty cool idea with using reg oulets rather then cords and putting all inside a box like that cuts down on price for buying cords and cutting them...

I probably won't do that again, it took too long, not much of a savings on price, but it does make it easier to store, and all connections are inside the box.

"Out came the sun and dried up all the rain, and the Music will be playing and the Lights will brightly shine" !!!!! :)

Darlene the fan looks great. Tom love the sign. As for us, we have to plug in the controllers, plug up a mega tree, I have 3 trees to finish, and place a few more things in the yard. Wrapped my last spiral pole tonight (hope they look as good as I think they will). If it all works I will run last years show so I can have a night to update. Don't know if I can light tonight or not. May have to wait till Friday. :(

Still hopeful. Getting our BIG ol arch up today took longet than exected.

Well.... I type to you from my sister's house...in Alabama. I got up at 4am yesterday, got outside by 5am and started to work. Was making great progress...until I ran into a bad network cable. Finally figured it out some 3 hours later. I got several things done before that, but still have one mega tree to build, another to finish up in getting the controller plugged up. On my "punch list"...got 4 of 12 things done. Some things smaller than others. Just had to put it down on paper because I kept forgetting to do things!!! My 2 1/2 drive to Gadsden was productive though. Let the wife drive and I got some sequecning done. The earplugs helped block out the 4 kids and their video as well ;-) Just hope to get back to Fayetteville and get done before the rain comes!!!

Up at 4am Robert? Last night, all I would've had to do is stay up one more hour and it would have been 4am! Noticed I have a few channels crossed on the mega tree. Also have a network cable issue. It was knocking out all the controllers, but I have it pinpointed to one or two cables. Finally got where I can make up the ends pretty quickly now.

Gotta put up 48' of 'arch' fence (ropelight on 10' mini arches), 8 channels of light strings laid in the grass, candy canes, floods, and 3 mini arches(4ch each)

Also going to use Darlene's idea of coro presents to cover the controllers. And, the sign isn't built yet.

Wasn't planning on light up tonight, but looks like I'll miss Friday, so going to officially shoot for Saturday.

Sounding good you two... WOW to ealy, late be out working in the cold and all.

I just am not feeling it today, i got my cross reworked and hope looks good have to wait till dark to see for sure.

i got to run at least one or two sets together down the driveway to make it to my MERRY Christmas sign at the start of the drive.

I want to put a small arch in the middle of that maybe with a set of multi that will stay on, and a set of white and a set of almost all pink that will flash back and forth ( but don't think got the cords to do that)

I did get drop cord ran for the cross.

I like to put a arch over the walkway and put a set of lights on it to connect the driveway lights and the carports lights but then that might be to many hooked together.

Thinking about making a couple of about 3 foot tall trees with tomato holders but not sure how many sets lights would need to look right. and would have to undo after the season I need about 500 cable ties ha ha.

I need to put the deer's out and put the star up on the house ( again need more drop cords I belive)

BTW Shane, Are you not around this year? hiramDawg...... anyone know he doing anything Joey you talk this year to him?

All is well here in Augusta! Show running great.......lots of drive bys tonight with plenty of ooohs and aaaaaahhs. Sounds like success so far!