Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jfelix

Where are all the Georgians at?

BTW Shane, Are you not around this year? hiramDawg...... anyone know he doing anything Joey you talk this year to him?

Shane should be lighting up Saturday. He and I have been talking off and on all year. Was just at his house earleir this week.

As for me I am lit, running last years show for now. Need to upgrade the channel config, still need to do those 3 trees, and get my firesticks/spiral poles in the yard.

Hi all,

Got my display completed Thanksgiving eve. After dinner and dessert on Turkey day, entire family went out to watch. It would have been perfect if I had just enabled the show! :) Quick trip inside fixed that, and we were soon dancing in the street. Grand-kids are so much fun.:D The two spiral trees are a tremendous hit with everyone. Glad I spent the extra time needed to build and sequence them.

A dozen or so neighbors came by soon after, followed by a few cars whose occupants had been to our display last year. All in all, evening was a success, although I have already reprogrammed four songs to finesse the spiral trees sequencing. Also got Zara radio working for pre-show and post-show music and announcements. Really adds a degree of professionalism to the entire show. I couldn't be more pleased with the Demented Elf's voice-overs. Talk about a professional sounding show!

Please stop by anytime after 6:00 pm.

Richard

Hi all,

Please stop by anytime after 6:00 pm.

Richard

Where are you exactly?

Is anyone compiling a list of addresses in GA?

We're finally LIVE!

It was down to the wire with one day of delay and finally finished the paths on each sequence (have a show computer and design / sequence on my laptop. Didn't put everything in default places...so that took forever. 15 minutes to spare...I finally finished. Had one little glitch with my Radio Sign / Security Light channel (put a c9 on the sensor to turn it off), but everything else seemed to work. Few things I want to change and add but at least it's running now! Maybe I will go to bed at a decent time now ;-)

Hi to all - if you're anywhere near the Kennesaw area around Monday 12/6 or beyond, feel more than welcome to stop by (Arden Lake subdivision)... www.meckleyfamilyxmas.com ... site not updated yet but directions there. Going to be a LATE start this year due to very stressful work year and not much done until about a week ago... much rebuilding and resetting of display due to excessive wind damage last year. NEW jazz band coming which will be the central feature... HUGE surprise coming for the kids (come visit and you'll see why I say that - LOL).

Been VERY quiet this past year - sorry... hugely busy and buried under multiple rocks. But going live and running through 1/1 so all will be well in Meckley-Family land.

:-)

John, good to hear from you. Can't wait to stop by and take a look. Will do that during the week on the way home from work.

Robert, great to hear you got 'er done.

At 10:30 pm Sat, I finally got everything outside complete with the exception of the floods and one other feature. I still have the sign to complete, will do that Sunday.

One song sequenced, another in the works. I think to start, I'll sequence a generic program with loops to fill in till more songs added.

Where are you exactly?

Is anyone compiling a list of addresses in GA?

311 Julep Ct

Alpharetta, Ga 30009

Fairfax Subdivision Off Rucker Rd

From Acworth, you probably would take 92 east to Hardscrabble, then E on Rucker about two miles.

Bill Learning had a list a couple years ago, but I don't know if it is up to date.

Richard

2009 photo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40070[/ATTACH]

All I have to say is none of you are allowed to come to my house till later this week. I still have a few things to put out and want youall to see the completed display.

Who from Gainesville came to my display in Alpharetta Saturday night? Sorry I wasn't here; celebrated my grand-daughter's 3rd birthday.

So what did you think?

Richard

How are you guys doing with all this rain? Supposed to have some good wind tonight and tomorrow. I got my display up in four days with some etremely helpful neighbors. Unfortunately I have not thrown the switch yet. Everything is plugged in, but it got too wet yesterday afternoon for me to consider opening all the controller and verifying the "red" light. Glad to hear most of you are up and running. My target is Saturday at this point, but of course that all hinges on tonight and tomorrows weather.

Happy Holidays to all and I wish you great success with your shows.

Mike

Well, I'm going DIY (LYNX) with my controllers. Due to the wife going back to college, my Christmas budget was reallocated. Since this was going to be my first automated display, I thought I would instead put the lights up in static form. Both to get a sense of any problems I might have to resolve and to see how long it would take. Well, the wife and I spent 2 hours putting up lights on a 20ft tall crape myrtle and a Japanese maple. The plan was 600 red and 600 green for each. That night I found out that I need a lot more lights. The 1200 on the CM looked good, but when using just the 600 of a single color, not so good. So this year is turning out to be a very productive year. So on top of getting a dongle and a fm transmitter, I'll need another 5000 lights to make the 3 trees in my yard look good. My note book will have good information for next year.

Brian

Lawrenceville, GA

OKAY I plan to go out Friday December 10TH... Everyone have your lights on and ready that night?

I plan to go to Doglasville and see Blearning display.

Then go by Larry's house he over on hyphes(sp) hill. off hyw 278.

Then go to hit Mudsculper ehe is on hill road off of hwy 278 in Austell area.

Then go over to Joey's house

Then to Shanes house.

I like to go hit up Tamale's but not sure I can get over that far. Joey , you ever been his house? how far he from you ?

This is my plan i sure hope everyone have there light shows up and going fully then.

This most likley be only night I can do it and have gas money for it.

Edited by PCguy

OKAY I plan to go out Friday December 10TH... Everyone have your lights on and ready that night?

I plan to go to Doglasville and see Blearning display.

Then go by Larry's house he over on hyphes(sp) hill. off hyw 278.

Then go to hit Mudsculper ehe is on hill road off of hwy 278 in Austell area.

Then go over to Joey's house

Then to Shanes house.

I like to go hit up Tamale's but not sure I can get over that far. Joey , you ever been his house? how far he from you ?

This is my plan i sure hope everyone have there light shows up and going fully then.

This most likley be only night I can do it and have gas money for it.

Our lights are up and running everynight.. No stopping for Rain, Snow, Wind or Tornado warnings... But I'm not on your tour list. :confused:

Our lights are up and running everynight.. No stopping for Rain, Snow, Wind or Tornado warnings... But I'm not on your tour list. :confused:

Cummings Ga is a bit far from me, Not sure how far, Not even sure where Cummings Ga is.

gas prices and driving a SUV stink. Would love to make it to some others from on here.

looked it up 75 miles from where I am typing from. Oh your up past Canton.

Edited by PCguy

Cummings Ga is a bit far from me, Not sure how far, Not even sure where Cummings Ga is.

gas prices and driving a SUV stink. Would love to make it to some others from on here.

looked it up 75 miles from where I am typing from. Oh your up past Canton.

Cumming is about 45 minutes from me, so that will give you an idea. I'm about 25 minutes from JFelix, but there are three other people within 5 miles of me. And don't forget Holly Springs Lights in Canton.

Finally have two songs somewhat completed, so I'm going to go ahead and schedule those to run tonight. Should be able to add another song every two days through the week.

Looks like my official light up is tonight, Saturday the 4th with only the two songs. That is, if I can setup the tune to sign in the next two hours.

Cumming is about 45 minutes from me, so that will give you an idea. I'm about 25 minutes from JFelix, but there are three other people within 5 miles of me. And don't forget Holly Springs Lights in Canton.

Finally have two songs somewhat completed, so I'm going to go ahead and schedule those to run tonight. Should be able to add another song every two days through the week.

Looks like my official light up is tonight, Saturday the 4th with only the two songs. That is, if I can setup the tune to sign in the next two hours.

Yeah That a haul for me. if I had any other friends who was into checking out lights that would ride with and give gas it might be cool but i need to replace a front tire on my truck as it is right now so... Don't need be driving that far really.

Alright then, Thought you was on already. well two songs better then none.

who else is within 5 miles of you ? websites or addy's if there that close I will check those out also.

I counted my lights lil bit ago right now I have 3,900 lil shy of last year count. not sure how to count a blow mold lol.

BTW if anyone see me out in front there house feel free to come outside and say hey to me. This is how you know its be this picture of my truck.

post-7533-129571258625_thumb.jpg

post-7533-129571258635_thumb.jpg

Edited by PCguy

we are up and running after drying all the controllers, light, wires etc out from the flood last year , about 40,000 plus lights, 272 channels (not all loaded yet) glad to be back in the game

PC Guy... I suspect I'm one of the 5-milers from Tamale... in Kennesaw (www.meckleyfamilyxmas.com) .... you can get directions from there.

We are FINALLY up... grand-opening tomorrow (Sunday) at 630... show will run every night through New Year's Day. LUCKILY (knocking on wood BIG time), my SD card held last year's show... otherwise our laptop crash woulda meant troubles in holiday-lights city... LOL

Got everything finally up today and tested all controllers and circuits. For 240 channels, only having 5 or so strings out is NOT bad (imho). We got those strings replaced and everything seems a "go" ... pending DRY weather... just can't seem to figure out how to keep enough connections dry to keep them from shorting out. Ah well, that's what we get for a rainy/wet winter in GA. Suffice it to say, running 1/2 the show on a night when it's pouring is better than NOTHING!

EVERYONE is welcome to come visit.

JOEY/JIM/TAMALE - I'm planning on coming y'alls way in the next couple of weeks.

- John

There are a couple of us on the southside :(. Working on video editing right now. Redid several songs from last year and added a few. Want to bring mine down into several shows so I can do some quick "openers". Right now I have a Bennie Goodman thing (of course a band director is going to do Jazz!). Want to do a few little short openers I have seen and....drum roll....Auburn Fight Song! :cool: (no booing). My dsl though is soooo slow (cheap slow dsl from Bellsouth.net), it coughs and spits when I try to upload my videos. My school has YouTube blocked, so ended up uploading a test video clip to my bands website at www.jcboothband.org/Disney_Short.MOV . Got everything almost videoed (8 songs, opener, We Wish You A Merry Christmas (which I really need to redo...really bad sequecning) and the closer. Rain got into my Cat5 adapter and messed me up a couple of nights. Got that worked out and am rolling along now. Rain just needs to stay away! Hope to get over to TLangley's before taking my 8th grade band to Disney. Guess what I am going to see Friday night....The Osbourne Lights :rolleyes: Can't wait!!!

Robert

PC Guy... I suspect I'm one of the 5-milers from Tamale... in Kennesaw (www.meckleyfamilyxmas.com) .... you can get directions from there.

We are FINALLY up... grand-opening tomorrow (Sunday) at 630... show will run every night through New Year's Day. LUCKILY (knocking on wood BIG time), my SD card held last year's show... otherwise our laptop crash woulda meant troubles in holiday-lights city... LOL

Got everything finally up today and tested all controllers and circuits. For 240 channels, only having 5 or so strings out is NOT bad (imho). We got those strings replaced and everything seems a "go" ... pending DRY weather... just can't seem to figure out how to keep enough connections dry to keep them from shorting out. Ah well, that's what we get for a rainy/wet winter in GA. Suffice it to say, running 1/2 the show on a night when it's pouring is better than NOTHING!

EVERYONE is welcome to come visit.

JOEY/JIM/TAMALE - I'm planning on coming y'alls way in the next couple of weeks.

- John

Thanks, I got directions from Tom's to your house. Will try check it out, lots of turns to get there ha ha.

hey Robert who is TLangley's??? Langley is our last name lol.

Looks nice. what I could see, my PC is being slow tonight.

I got out dads cord lastnight so I could test the amps I am pulling, my static lights are pulling 8.4Amps and the Mr.C box are pulling from 1.6 lowest up to 6.8 ha ha hat nothing compared to any of you I am sure lol.

anyhow shot some video lastnight here is it.

3900 lights

Edited by PCguy

TLC channel is running Crazy Lights, Invasion of the Christmas Lights over and over all night tonight, check it out (Sat nite)

TLC channel is running Crazy Lights, Invasion of the Christmas Lights over and over all night tonight, check it out (Sat nite)

Yea we have been watching it since 8pm. Man those people go WILD... one had like one million lights. thats nuts.

Thanks for the heads up. Watching now.

We are live in Marietta, WooHoooo.