Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jfelix

Where are all the Georgians at?

All the strong winds we had for the last two days done me in! It blew down my reindeer barn, broke my merry go round and broke one of my biggest Gemmy light show tree off near the base. The rest of the stuff didn't get damaged, but some of it we had to put back in place. This was unusually strong winds here, about 40-45 mph. So this weekend we will be back out putting the reindeer barn back together. we got the tree and merry go round operating but making crunchy noises, and the Gemmy tree is a bit shorter now. I guess this is the last year for my merry-go-round. Bummer! Oh, well, it gives me an excuse to buy new stuff! ha.

Thanks for the info mike. man those look so good.

Darlene that stinks, yeah we have had some wind this past week. i am glad I got my cross tied to the pole out there so well or it be flying. last year it keep moving. but this year i made sure it would not move. Glad i did

It's been a long while since I've posted on here. But I figured I'd share our display for 2010. It's in need of some repair as the lights are going on 4 plus years. Not much was added....I even left out 20 mini trees so we only have 48 this year.

Come by and check it out if you're in Alpharetta.

http://www.Facebook.com/ChristmasAtTheStacks

http://www.youtube.com/user/StackHouse701#p/u

Only have 5 sequences at the moment

1812 Overture

TSO Christmas Eve

Illuminations

34th Street Overture

Twist and Shout

Good to hear from you, Dennis. really missed you. Give me a call any afternoon.

Richard

It's been a long while since I've posted on here. But I figured I'd share our display for 2010. It's in need of some repair as the lights are going on 4 plus years. Not much was added....I even left out 20 mini trees so we only have 48 this year.

Come by and check it out if you're in Alpharetta.

http://www.Facebook.com/ChristmasAtTheStacks

http://www.youtube.com/user/StackHouse701#p/u

Only have 5 sequences at the moment

1812 Overture

TSO Christmas Eve

Illuminations

34th Street Overture

Twist and Shout

Well I made it out last night to Bill's in Douglasville, Larry in I guess that's Powdersprings. and over to Joey's Jfelix. I went by Hiramdawg ( Shane) and guess what the lights were not going what's up with that Shane?

Everyone's displays look really good. I am happy I finally got to met in person Joey. as talk on here and think talked on phone once but never in person. he has some new really nice stars and snow flakes in his yard. Bill has just about everything in his yard. some new really bright lights on the roof. Larry has a really nice big mega tree and I just love the HO HO on the roof and that song is hilarious I have never heard it before.

There way to many things to pick out of each yard I like I like it all

Good job guys.

Chris, sorry you missed our lights the other night, I had issue's with my FM Transmitter not staying on but it's all fixed now. Hope you get a chance to come by.

Larry,

I hope to come to your place on the 22nd. I know that you are accepting cash donations and items for Safe House, but is there a list of the approved items?

Justin

Welcome Mike, Hey Joey, Bill, Robert and everyone else....

We are about 85% up out here in Cumming. The long list has gotten much shorter. Only have a dozen or so things to get out, up or hung.

Trying to get all the lights out and coordinate the new charity and the concert has been pretty challenging.

I hope to a lot of my fellow Georgians here this year. Not sure how many stops I'll be making to others this year but as always we will take at least one day to go visiting.

Remember Dec 22 is the concert.

Chris, sorry you missed our lights the other night, I had issue's with my FM Transmitter not staying on but it's all fixed now. Hope you get a chance to come by.

Oh, alright then sorry you was having issues. hope I get back by.

Well....

Not sure about your place, but it is so wet here...my arches keep tripping my CGFI. Ashamedly I am using the "pull the light out to make it a dead line but still have power" trick for my 16 extensions needed for those. I think that is the problem but it is so wet right now, I can't get them to stay on. Tried changing out the extension to the the controller itself...no joy. Took the leaf blower to them...nope ;-) Tempted to run it to a circuit that is not a CGFI one...but would be my luck it would fry.

Oh well.....

Wet here, too. John really put our arch anchors in extra deep this year so they stayed put. I can't say the same for the stuff I put together! The Merry Go Round keeps falling because of the wet ground like your stuff. We went from hard as concrete red clay in October to soft mush for December! At least the wind isn't bad like it was last weekend when everything blew down. We got the reindeer barn rebuilt and she's singing away once again.

Our Santa Syphonies is still a huge hit with the public.

Well....

Not sure about your place, but it is so wet here...my arches keep tripping my CGFI. Ashamedly I am using the "pull the light out to make it a dead line but still have power" trick for my 16 extensions needed for those. I think that is the problem but it is so wet right now, I can't get them to stay on. Tried changing out the extension to the the controller itself...no joy. Took the leaf blower to them...nope ;-) Tempted to run it to a circuit that is not a CGFI one...but would be my luck it would fry.

Oh well.....

Did you open the controller enclosure, make sure there's no moisture inside?

No I haven't. I actually have the controllers covered in plastic, but will do that in a little bit. I really think it may be something I found right before leaving for church. I found one segment of lights on the arches that didn't work. When I turned the arches on...they all came on but that small section. Ran my hand over it to find the short...the breaker popped. I think there may have been some water making contact with a pulled wire out of a socket. Getting ready to isolate it now. Looking at the forecast now...we may be in the clear for the rest of the week. That will be good!

Good video Tazman! Are those arches LED's? I may try to go and get some more of those cool whites from Lowes and re-do my arches with those. Are those the smaller arches too?

Posting this here because so many people in the area are already looking at this;

First...my issue with the CGFI was solved. The plastic I had covering the plugs from my make shift extension cord...spopping (sp?) wet. Fixed that.

Second...and the biggest...it's killing me...my wife has cut me off on lights!!!! This is insane...because it beats the after Christmas deals!!! Online it shows Riverdale having 40 of these boxes and called plus confirmed with Stockbridge for them to have 20 or so......for $3.88;

http://www.lowes.com/pd_20646-25734-90012LO_4294801364_4294937087_?productId=3093061&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_String%2BLights_4294801364_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1%26page%3D4#

Go here for the $3.00 off coupon;

http://a.slickdeals.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=433931&d=1288877571

That makes it $.88 a box. It's killing me! I was going to change out my arches to this...Aaaaahhh. But my wife sez something about this cruise we are going to take for our 25th Anniversary. Oh well....

Big Bubba....coming your way tonight.

Robert

i was with a friend last night coming home from Austell and i told her about the light display on Hill Road. He said you go through he 4 way stop from hwy 278 and you can see his tree. YEAH Tree, star, house everything WOW what a bright display I am guessing all LED lights. my friend didn't want to stay long but I hope to get back by and see the whole show. its great display.

So sorry I forget the guys name on here. Think its wrote down out in my truck.

Hey Joey, how did you get 11 Alive to notice you? I got Judy coming Wed, I'm collection for Family Have Charity and I can't get a reply from them.

I need a news crew out here bad. If you can drop line to them I'd appreciate it.

Larry

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christmas-in-Cumming-Georgia/119990737071

Saw Big Bubba's over in Newnan last night. Very nice! He has the same issue I have with a culvasac (how do you spell that anyway??) Think my road may be a little bit wider though. Almost had a SUV parallel park into the side of my truck!

Got to do one of those spiral trees next year. That is just too cool. Maybe I will use the cool white LED's...MY WIFE SAID I COULD GO AND GET! Yipee!!! Cramming a sandwich down my throat now...and on the road I go!

Saw Big Bubba's over in Newnan last night. Very nice! He has the same issue I have with a culvasac (how do you spell that anyway??) Think my road may be a little bit wider though. Almost had a SUV parallel park into the side of my truck!

Got to do one of those spiral trees next year. That is just too cool. Maybe I will use the cool white LED's...MY WIFE SAID I COULD GO AND GET! Yipee!!! Cramming a sandwich down my throat now...and on the road I go!

Cul-de-sac, lived on one for 16 years and still had to look it up.

Robert, you need to hang out at Felix's and see how he does traffic control. Joey has it down to a science.

I was at Lowe's yesterday, didn't think about the 40% off and those coupons. Hope you make out on those.

Cul-de-sac, lived on one for 16 years and still had to look it up.

Robert, you need to hang out at Felix's and see how he does traffic control. Joey has it down to a science.

>>>>>>>I like living on a "Cul-de-sac" (thanks for the spelling ;-). I am sure that I won't say that if traffic picks up. Think the most we have is about 4 cars at a time.

I was at Lowe's yesterday, didn't think about the 40% off and those coupons. Hope you make out on those.

>>>>>>>>Oh well. Went all the way to Stockbridge. Had 20 boxes in my buggy and the manager said they had a email from Corporate saying they couldn't honor that coupon. Didn't even bother going over to Riverdale. Guess I will have to scope out the stores I will be going to the day after Christmas now ;-)

Thanks for coming by Robert! The traffic gets crazy especially the week before Christmas. People generally forget about manners and common sense. My spiral tree was super easy. I did it like most things I make, I design as I build it and the whole thing went up in like 2 hours. Next year I'm going for 25 feet total height. As soon as I take some day time pictures I'll put them up.

Boy I've missed a lot of posts here. I don't spend much time on PC anymore. I am using Vixen and Lynx DIY hardware and am always on http://www.diylightanimation.com/

I have 5 songs running and am very close to jmeckley and a huge static display on Ben King Rd in Kennesaw. I have been collecting addresses, websites, forum ids, etc for quite awhile. I have a list that I print out for frends and family of homes in the Kennesaw area that has addresses only. I never share contact info in a printed list. Come see my show

3025 Wrens Way Kennesaw, GA 30144. If anyone wants the list for Kennesaw area send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Jim Nealand

Jim, I've been by your house twice in the past 10 days, hey, it's on the way home :) Everything is looking really good. You're sequencing on the arches is really smooth

Hope I'm on that list. Traffic through here has been very light compared to last year. I think everyone is either shopping or staying at home.

Been a busy season, thought I wasn't going to get anything running, but finally did, stopped at 4 songs. Everything just seemed to take much longer than planned. Then right after getting the show started, the show computer bit the dust.

Using a back, now I'm just sitting back and enjoying the time off and relaxing evenings. Thinking about next year already.

Okay mudsculper is the one on Hill road I went to see. guess he don't post here but i seen him somewhere on this board lol

Okay mudsculper is the one on Hill road I went to see. guess he don't post here but i seen him somewhere on this board lol

mudsculpter hangs out at DIYC also pwmcguire who is near hwy 41 and Acworth Due West Rd I think they both use Renard controllers