Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
dukester544600

When do you start turning on your display?

Everyone has their own pref.

I won't be set up by the 15th but plan to be ready and running on the 26th, the day after Thanksgiving.

Some start earlier, some start later.

Edit: Of course I'll be testing prior to the 26th so the neighbors get a sneekpeek as I set up. Nothing like a little teaser to make their mouth water. :)

I'm kind of traditional, so I think anything before Thanksgiving is a little too early. Due to family commitments and to give myself a little more breathing room, I moved our date back to Dec 1st a few years ago, and that's what I plan to use again this year.

I like the first of Dec, but its middle of the week this year, so I'm thinking turn on all my multi-colors only statically Last Friday in Nov and have the offical "we're live" Dec 3.

-jim

I have to say that anything before Thanksgiving is too early. Thanksgiving has become the official beginning of the holiday season. I always try to light up Thanksgiving night, but haven't made that deadline in the last 3 years. But I will keep trying.

I'm kind of traditional, so I think anything before Thanksgiving is a little too early. Due to family commitments and to give myself a little more breathing room, I moved our date back to Dec 1st a few years ago, and that's what I plan to use again this year.

first weekend in Dec, but I also run till Jan 8th.

These are men of reason... Thats how I roll...:D

Guest Lightzilla

Actually there is a fellow here in Edmonton Alberta that turns his lights on on November 1st. 200,000 or 300,000 lights and the city gave him his own personal transformer.

He gets a boat load load of viewers each night & he runs a Static display. Plus has money to buy some extravagant lawn decorations .

However I may turn the lights on November 29th or wait until December 1st.

Who knows maybe Ontario will charge (fine) you for turning your lights on to early. lol Now if you lived here in Alberta you may want to wait until December 1st because after the lights go out you may need to plug your car(s) in and that's what takes up the power. For me, the lights are cheap to run but plugging in 3 cars takes a toll on the power bill.

We turn them on at 5:00 PM Thanksgiving night. 5:00 PM is dark here that time of year. I put up all of the "old" stuff first and my plans allow "new" display elements to be put up through Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanksgiving night. We host the big family dinner at our house every year and after dinner the whole family goes out to watch the lights run for the first time of the season. After that we just let them continue to run on the schedule.

-Pat

you may need to plug your car(s) in and that's what takes up the power. For me, the lights are cheap to run but plugging in 3 cars takes a toll on the power bill.

Do they not make LED cars that take less power? J/K :)

I started putting the lights on the roof in September then to the ground elements. I have everything wrapped in black plastic so it is not visible what the coro figures are. All you can see are my arches mini trees and mega tree at this point. Almost done building my extension cords. I will do a test run in a week or so to make sure all is working and I like how it is looking. It will run from Thanksgiving until Newyears day and then all comes down. That takes about three days.

Terry

I've got a "bah, humbug" brother-in-law; his sister (my wife) wants him and his family (who has to put up with that) to experience the light show for Thanksgiving day; I shoot for the weekend before Thanksgiving so I have some burn-in time and a chance to fix anything that stops working by the bird day. He also hates turkey, so my wife usually cooks a ham as well. The dinner is traditionally at our house, since we have the most room for it.

The neighbors get upset with me when I shut it down second week of January. It gets taken down after that depending on weather.

Well I live in northern Ontario, so Thanksgiving for us was Oct.11 so I know that was way too early. So it seems pretty unanonymous that the end of November seems to be the time to start turning them on so maybe I will wait until then as well. As for Lightzilla I have to agree I would not be surprised if I had to pay a fee to our pathetic Provincial Government to start turning on my lights. Also I also have to agree about the block heaters only way to combat that is a heated garage lol. Anyway 99% of my lights are LED so it’s not as bad on the electric bill.

It is Thanksgiving night here. All my neighbors have their families over for dinner, then they all meet up in front of my house around 7 with hot chocolate and cookies and wait for me to turn on the lights..even if I am not ready. LOL Take down is Jan 2.

We start the day after Thanksgiving, and run through December 30th. We do this to avoid "mixing" the holidays of Thanksgiving and New Years Eve.

I commence take down December 31st, weather permitting...

Greg

We start the day after Thanksgiving, and run through December 30th. We do this to avoid "mixing" the holidays of Thanksgiving and New Years Eve.

I commence take down December 31st, weather permitting...

Greg

Greg, I also start the day after Thanksgiving (except for a half hour show on Thanksgiving night for my family. Last year I put the show back on on New Year's Eve because I was surprised how many people showed up to watch it.