GE LED light coupon

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if GE Pulled the plug on the coupon or if it was just that Corporate Lowes put it into their POS systems to not accept the coupon??

Has anyone thought of trying the coupon at KMart?? They have the 50ct LED strings... Granted they have outrageous prices in the first place, the coupon would make the prices normal LOL!

Just got back from Lowes i picked up 8 boxs for 33 cents a piece not to bad thanks for the heads up

So it worked for you just a few hours ago?? This is confusing... Maybe it is just certain states that are catching on to the mass use of the $3 coupon instead of a nationwide thing... Guess I will give it a shot tomorrow!

Ya i just got back 15 min ago the kid didnt scan coupon he just manult did it but i a may try again tomorrow it is hard to pass up 33 cent leds

True, that is what they did at Lowes for me last year when using the coupon, but of course it is just chance, can't really tell the associate: "Can you just manually update the price for me instead of scanning the coupon" LOL.... Guess its really just gonna be a craps shoot..

After reading this thread, I decided to call first and see if my Lowes was accepting the coupons. They are only if you ring each box as one transaction. So, I grabbed my coupons and off I went. We rang each box as one transaction...all 50 of them. I felt bad for the people waiting behind me but who could pass up .33 for LEDS. Just got home from doing this...thinking now of wallpapering my bathroom with all the receipts :)

Gave the coupon(s) a try this evening. First Lowe's was out of clear, passed on the multi-color. Second store only had 10 boxes left of clear, got them after quite a battle with the store manager. He said the coupon was reproduced, even though he understood I printed the coupon. He didn't even take the coupon, just sold me 10 boxes at .33 each; said GE wouldn't reimburse him for them. Also had $50 worth of other stuff in the cart; that might have been helpful.

Now armed with a sales receipt from one store that at least looked like it honored the coupon, I was ready to do battle with the next manager. Third store had a bunch, I took 30 strands to customer service, nice girl said no problem but the cashier would have to ring them seperately. So I avoid the old mean looking dude and wait for the cute young girl at the next register. Funny her line was long, but nobody at the grumply looking dude's register. Anyway told her customer service said to ring them seperately. I thought I was in the clear, then the head cashier came over to look at the coupon; don't know what prompted it. Head cashier said only one box per customer, I couldn't reproduce it. After a lengthy discussion with him, I convinced him but he wanted the store manager to approve it. The manager was a butt, said I was trying to take advantage of the situation. I politely said "no, I just got lucky on the timing of your sale and GE's promotion". By now the head cashier and cute girl cashier were agreeing with me. But no, he had to put on a show and said 30 were too many. The other store honored the coupon with all they had, 10 strands, so he finally gave in to 10 strands.

Summary: 20 strands @ .35 (with sales tax) = $7 not a bad outing. Not bad, saved about $60. Maybe I'll take the wife out to dinner or go buy more extension cords ;)

To Central Ohio decorators: I was in the Dublin, Polaris, & Easton Lowe's.

Edited by Buckeyelights
added note to Central Ohio decorators

I went and bought 48 boxes and paid full price of $3.33, never used a coupon, and realise how much these would normally cost at other stores. At that price I can't complain. Now, next year chances of seeing a $3.00 of coupon might be slim to next to impossible.

I tried using the coupon today. As soon as I handed the cashier the coupon, she called the manager over right way. The manager told me that Lowes corporate told them to not accept the coupon. She tried giving me some song and dance about fraudulent coupons on the internet and how people were stealing from Lowes. Even at $0.33 it wasn't worth having to listen to her complain so I left the lights there.

You know what I don't understand here? The coupon explicitely states:

OFFER LIMITED TO ONE PURCHASE IN THE U.S.A., ITS TERRITORIES AND MILITARY EXCHANGES

Not to pick out one line, but somebody needs to:

Head cashier said only one box per customer, I couldn't reproduce it. After a lengthy discussion with him, I convinced him but he wanted the store manager to approve it. The manager was a butt, said I was trying to take advantage of the situation. I politely said "no, I just got lucky on the timing of your sale and GE's promotion".

The manager was not a 'butt'. Not only were you trying to take advantage of the situation, you were trying to rip off the store.

Let me go further... "Trying to take advantage of the situation" would technically be defined by your trying to use ONE coupon in conjuction with the timing of their sale (actually, more on this below). You weren't trying to do that. You were knowingly (unless you are incapable of or didn't read the coupon) trying to rip the store off by using MORE than one coupon on MORE than one purchase. When a coupon says "OFFER LIMITED TO ONE PURCHASE" what do you think that means? Did you think this doesn't apply to you for some bizarre reason?

Let's hit another point. As I began above with the 'actually, more on this below' comment.... you tried to tell him that "you got lucky on the timing of their sale and GE's promotion".... well you're busted there too. Again, unless you are incapable of, or didn't read the coupon, I will bring out another line from said coupon for you:

COUPON MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR COMBINED WITH ANOTHER OFFER AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE

Again, what part of the "combined with another offer" doesn't apply to you? I would think that a special sale by Lowes "3 GE LED strings for $10" qualified in most people's books as "another offer".

I'm sorry that this is not "positive" and "reinforcing" of what some of you are trying to do, but it is disgusting. You ARE attempting to rip the store off, no matter what you've convinced your brain of.

Why do we do these decorations of this time of year? Oh ya, because it is Christ's birthday... I'm sure that Christ is pleased with you. Good job.

OFFER LIMITED TO ONE PURCHASE IN THE U.S.A., ITS TERRITORIES AND MILITARY EXCHANGES

The manager was not a 'butt'. Not only were you trying to take advantage of the situation, you were trying to rip off the store.

Let me go further... "Trying to take advantage of the situation" would technically be defined by your trying to use ONE coupon in conjuction with the timing of their sale (actually, more on this below). You weren't trying to do that. You were knowingly (unless you are incapable of or didn't read the coupon) trying to rip the store off by using MORE than one coupon on MORE than one purchase. When a coupon says "OFFER LIMITED TO ONE PURCHASE" what do you think that means? Did you think this doesn't apply to you for some bizarre reason?

Let's hit another point. As I began above with the 'actually, more on this below' comment.... you tried to tell him that "you got lucky on the timing of their sale and GE's promotion".... well you're busted there too. Again, unless you are incapable of, or didn't read the coupon, I will bring out another line from said coupon for you:

COUPON MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR COMBINED WITH ANOTHER OFFER AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE

Again, what part of the "combined with another offer" doesn't apply to you? I would think that a special sale by Lowes "3 GE LED strings for $10" qualified in most people's books as "another offer".

I'm sorry that this is not "positive" and "reinforcing" of what some of you are trying to do, but it is disgusting. You ARE attempting to rip the store off, no matter what you've convinced your brain of.

Why do we do these decorations of this time of year? Oh ya, because it is Christ's birthday... I'm sure that Christ is pleased with you. Good job.

Yay Louie, I agree 100%. Interesting that this goes against the the entire reason for the season. I am embarrassed for our Christmas Light show community.........nuff said:o:o:o:o:o

I wanted to add something about what I said above. I will be the FIRST person to post insanely good deals as I am always up for getting something as cheap as possible (it allows more money for other purchases!). That being said, the deals I try to shoot for are legit deals, not something that breaks even one, let alone two of the rules in a coupon.

For instance, couple years ago, the weekend that Lowes went to 50% off, they were also offering coupons in store (they were printed on the receipt you received from a purchase) that were $10 off $50. Each coupon could be used once, but knowing how much I hit Lowes up this time of year for building supplies on the display, I had a bunch of them. Well, that year I decided I wanted the GE LED icicles for my display for the next year... they were $20 each, 50% off is $10 each, buy 5 of them to hit $50 and get another $10 off with the coupon. I think I actually had to buy a Sharpie pen each time because they were technically $19.98 or something like that and I needed to go over $50. I wound up with those GE icicles 5 for $40, which is an insane deal! That being said, there wasn't anything on the coupon about "not combining with clearance items" etc... the managers didn't give me heck about it causing me to argue with them 'til I was blue in the face. This was a legit deal and an insane one at that, but no rules were broken. I had to hit several stores to get the 20 boxes I needed for my house

Let me go further... "Trying to take advantage of the situation" would technically be defined by your trying to use ONE coupon in conjunction with the timing of their sale (actually, more on this below). You weren't trying to do that. You were knowingly (unless you are incapable of or didn't read the coupon) trying to rip the store off by using MORE than one coupon on MORE than one purchase. When a coupon says "OFFER LIMITED TO ONE PURCHASE" what do you think that means? Did you think this doesn't apply to you for some bizarre reason?

Again, what part of the "combined with another offer" doesn't apply to you? I would think that a special sale by Lowe's "3 GE LED strings for $10" qualified in most people's books as "another offer".

Well said!!!! As I said in an earlier post, I am sure we will never see this type of Coupon again because of how it has effected the outcome.

Well, I called up my local store earlier this morning and asked to speak to a manager. I told him about the coupon and he said he'd have to see the fine print to make a call on that.

So, I went in with multiple copies of the coupon and talked to the head cashier. Long story short, she approved it and the manager was more than happy to see his inventory cleared out. They asked how many I wanted to get and I said "as many as you see fit". They said if I wanted it all, they were fine with it. I honestly got the feeling that if I hadn't said I'd take them all, they wouldn't have let me use it. Sounds weird, huh? So, I loaded up and proceeded to the checkout.

They had to ring them up one at a time and manually enter the price in as $3.33, then apply the coupon. Took about 20 minutes but I stayed with the cashier and we joked around a bit to help the time pass by. Having worked retail during the Holiday season during my college years (recently as 3 years ago), we joked about how the Holiday season brought out the crazies and I wished her good luck on BF. The manager stopped by and asked what I was decorating and I told him we were trying to do a big display at our house and he said I need to stop by the store when it's finished and let him know my address as he'd love to see it.

They actually had 58 in stock, so I paid full price for those. My total order, even accounting for the 2 @ 3.33 I had to pay for, was $25 for 58 boxes!

FWIW, I bought only the colored LED stock. They said if I want to come back for the white LEDs just ask for the same cashier.

Good luck to you guys, and thanks to the OP for posting this deal up! In my case, the manager and lead cashier were more than happy to oblige and were very nice about it the whole time. My advice is to just call ahead and speak to the manager on duty or lead cashier before you go in. Give them the chance to understand what you're wanting to do before you go in and just assume they'll let you use them. I know I didn't want to make the cashier have to ring them all up separately but luckily, she didn't seem to mind.

Edited by erinh