GE LED light coupon

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visited three Lowe's today armed with coupons; returned home with 316 boxes (mostly cool white) @ $0.33 each. That's 15,000+ LEDs (half-wave) for about $125. Nice way to start the season.

My thanks to jvanek for the heads up on the coupon.

Lowes_LEDs.jpg

Thanks for posting about the coupon.

How do I go about printing the coupon without having to print the whole page?

Visited three Lowe's today armed with coupons; returned home with 316 boxes (mostly cool white) @ $0.33 each. That's 15,000+ LEDs (half-wave) for about $125. Nice way to start the season.

Lowes_LEDs.jpg

Thats great for you!

NOW, did you need 1 coupon per box or 1 coupon per store to get them at that price?

go to slickdeals.net and search for GE LEDS on the first page they have a pdf of 5 or 6 coupons per page you must use one coupon per box bought 16 boxes today but couldnt bring myself to use more then 8 coupons just didnt seem right

Lowes_LEDs.jpg

I am also in MN. What stores dud you hit? I assume you bought them out?

The GE coupon deal was a popular thread last year and several people were able to secure LED strings for $0.99 at Lowe's after combining it with a $10 off $50 coupon. I was not one of them.

I learned of Lowe's current 3 for $10 deal via pokrplr's post and had planned to buy the lights at that price for use this season for two rows of 40' pines. I checked stock online for my local stores (availability is real-time on lowes.com) and called the nearest location to verify the price was good for in-store purchases as well. Then at midnight I got my daily feed for new PC LED forum posts and learned of this year's GE coupon via jvanek's post. I downloaded the newsletter and printed off a bunch of coupons on my color laser in hopes of that rare "right time, right place, great deal" opportunity. I even took the time to cut them into individual coupons before heading off to Lowe's this morning.

First and foremost, I did not want to acquire LEDs via some scam or unreasonable demands based on an insidious technicality. Therefore, I was very upfront about my intentions at all three stores I visited. I went straight to the Customer Service desk and asked to speak to a manager before grabbing a cart and loading up boxes (I have since learned the "Administrative Manager" is the best contact for approval of manufacturer coupons). I clearly displayed my stack of coupons, explained what I thought to be an incredible coincidence of discounts and then asked if it was indeed possible to buy boxes for $0.33. I then patiently waited for the manager to make a decision. Polite and courteous, never argumentative or adversarial. In short, I followed Chuck's rules (Positive, Family Friendly and Christmas Centric!); ultimately I think it made a big difference.

The first store I visited produced mixed results; the manager approved the purchase but made several comments that "it just didn't seem right". I agreed that it "pushed the limits" and if he wasn't comfortable with combining the two discounts to simply say "No" and I would understand (again, I was originally intending to buy boxes @ $3.33). He reiterated Lowe's would honor the coupons but he didn't think it made sense. It was a little strange, as if he refused to tell me "no" despite my permission and in turn attempted to guilt me into passing up the opportunity. Finally he indicated that in order for Lowe's to receive money back from GE, each box had to be a unique purchase; i.e., they would have to ring them up individually. I wasn't interested in a series of $0.35 credit card transactions and I only had $15 cash, so I teed up 42 boxes and patiently waited for the cashier to complete my purchase. It took her 20 minutes and the whole time she was extremely pleasant.

Given the experience above, I was hesitant to travel to a second store but glad that I did. The manager reviewed the coupon, said he saw nothing wrong with combining the two deals and then called over another employee to help me load up a cart. He gave advance warning to one of the cashiers of my purchase, stated there was no need to ring the boxes individually and wished me "good luck with the decorating". My experience at the third store was fairly similar. The manager smiled immediately upon seeing my stack of coupons, which prompted me to ask if one of the other stores' provided him advance warning. He said "No, just didn't expect to see one of you Christmas light guys so early. What other stores have you been to?" After a brief give and take he said it would be no problem. When I returned to checkout he met me at the register to assist the cashier with overrides and asked where my home was, how many lights I was hoping to put up, if my kids were excited, etc.

It appears my purchases today (and numerous others around the country) snuck through a loophole that is quickly being closed. As Christmas light enthusiasts, we take products, materials and even retail-offers intended for the average consumer to extreme limits. And even when we utilize a "don't assume / ask for permission" approach and get subsequent thumbs up from store management, there is always the possibility of pushing things too far.

Went yesterday to Lowes with coupons in hand. The store manager was not happy with me, telling me at first that they do not accept manufacturer's coupons (not correct) and then that the coupon only applies to a single purchase. I then told her to ring me up separately, which she then said she couldn't do! Then she said they wouldn't take self printed coupons. If she was courteous about it, I probably wouldn't have pushed it, but the lame excuses angered me. All said and done, I walked out with 20 boxes at 33 cents each and a very disgruntled store manager. I might just go back today for kicks.

I think if you do a light show to raise charitable donations and explained it to the manager before showing up at the register with a cartload of lights, they might be a little more cooperative.

I clicked the link and it appears that the coupon has been removed from the newsletter.... I saved a copy of the PDF last night so I would have it to print when I needed it. When I get home I will upload the saved PDF with the coupon on it.

If you would like me to email the PDF to you, PM me your email address, I will be happy to send it along!