Indoor extension cords used outside

Michelle Kraklow

I use several hundred of them each year and have been for as long as I can remember. As Tory said, elevate the connections off the ground (you should do this with any type of cord) and if possible angle any open female sockets downward so that moisture can flow out.

Heck yes it's perfectly fine. I have a couple hundered of them, everything from 6' to 20' and what I don't have in the premade ones I use SPT-1 or SPT-2 and make my own (as do most people with large displays). Same "indoor" lamp cord.

Some have already thrown the tip about elevating the plug (just keep it off the ground). But I see sme people grab the electrical tape and wrap all over the connections. IMO this does not work. Water WILL find it's way under the tape and then it's trapped in there making the problem worse. It's better if water can just pass on by, or through, the connection unless you can truely make it water tight.

I am in complete agreement with elevating the connectors off the ground and positioning them so water can drain out. Taping the connectors will cause condensation during the night/day temperature changes. It is my observation that the difference between indoor and outdoor cable is the shielding that is wrapped around the wire. Indoor cable when left outside will eventually deteriorate and crack from damage due to sunlight.

Saying all of that I use about 200 six foot and fifteen foot indoor rated cords outside every season. I have some cables that are over ten years old and still look good. Make sure you inspect any cables that you use for cuts and cracks. Do not use damaged cables. It is too easy to fix them.

Heck yes it's perfectly fine. I have a couple hundered of them, everything from 6' to 20' and what I don't have in the premade ones I use SPT-1 or SPT-2 and make my own (as do most people with large displays). Same "indoor" lamp cord.

Some have already thrown the tip about elevating the plug (just keep it off the ground). But I see sme people grab the electrical tape and wrap all over the connections. IMO this does not work. Water WILL find it's way under the tape and then it's trapped in there making the problem worse. It's better if water can just pass on by, or through, the connection unless you can truely make it water tight.

Totally agree no tape lol!

Living in the snow capitals of michigan and using indoor cords outside, the one thing that I have found out is that if you are worried about water getting into the connections silicone grease can be your friend. Just put a little on each prong of the light strand before you plug it in and bingo helps keep water out. It can also be used to keep water out of the unused female ends as well.

I agree with everyone. I get lots of wet weather in New England and I tried the taping and wrapping the first year. BAD IDEA!!!! I now just plug and hang. For the big connections (many in one spot) I have big flower pots that are cracked and just put them over. Keeps most of the wet weather out and breaths on those nice sunny days to dry things out if they got a little moisture.

• 2 years later...

I live in AZ so don't really get snow except every couple years and it doesn't stick for long. I had allot of problems the first year with a Mr. Christmas set up constantly tripping while using indoor extension cords. I ended up using the child electric outlet caps which stopped the problem. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12152092&cp=2255957.2273443.4392756.2256208.3243664&parentPage=family