im a newb at this, been decorating for a while but not as big and amazing as you guys.:eek::eek:

but ive always run into a problem with extension cables and using too many or w/e and burning out some lights. whats the right way of doing it? whats the best extension cables since thats the only way to do it and you guys are doing it right.

Guest jcsarmy

Its about 14 minutes into the video before it shows you the cords but I think youll really appreciate the whole video. So check it out and be inspired!

http://www.holdman.com/christmas/projects.asp

Ps:static mega trees are awesome also. My suggestion for a first timer is 12 ft with 24 ft lighted strands run down and up. 25 100 light strands will do it. 2500 lights. Youll be very suprised as to how big it becomes. Figure your 3.14 Youll need a base 6 foot diameter. I believe I just took one 20 ft stick of schedule 40 pvc pipe and made a perfect circle hooking one end into its self. This will hold your lights down at the bottom. Take tent stakes and nail the pvc pipe firmly to the ground

I've never heard of a bad extension cord blowing out lights. If you have an undersized cord, you could have voltage drop (dimmer lights) and even cause a fire, but I've never heard of it actually damaging lights.

Guest jcsarmy

theirs little fuses in the male plug. If you get too many lights going on it then youll blow the fuse. Just remember the rule of three! Three strings connected on each strand then only three strands attached to each outlet.

theirs little fuses in the male plug. If you get too many lights going on it then youll blow the fuse. Just remember the rule of three! Three strings connected on each strand then only three strands attached to each outlet.

Good point. I thought he was talking extension cords not chaining lights together, but that's probably his issue.

anyone got pics of the extension cords they use? i cant have a 4 or 5 plug extension hooked in the garage going outside then hooking up 5 lights to it? but the problem with me is no too many outlets in my garage. for some reason my house wasnt built with any outdoor outlets around the house like some of the newer ones have.

for some reason my house wasnt built with any outdoor outlets around the house like some of the newer ones have.

Both of the houses I've owned had only one exterior outlet (on the deck) when I bought them. Many of us here have done some significant power upgrades to our properties. For me it was just new circuits but some have had larger services run to their house from the street :)

well im not doing as much lights as most of you. im doing a normal amount but want it to go smoothly and dont wanna spend money on some more lights only to run into some problems.

Normal is relative :) Welcome to the insanity!

Guest jcsarmy

fOR THe most part if you are just running mini lights and under 5-7 thousand of them static, use as many extension cords as you want. Some of us are much more picky because of the load we have to pull. For instance if you have 4 uplights across the front yard at 250 watts each and then you hook up a gemmy or mr.C at 1500 watts etc... etc...

Running static " solid on " mini lights.... Ive had up to 10-15 on one extension cord. Thats breaking the rule of three tho. But safely on a 3 head extension cord you could run 3 strands on each outlet with 3 strings on each strand for a total of 9 strands of 3 which makes a total of 27 strings of lights at 100 lights per string is 2700 lights.

Thats breaking the rule of three tho.

The "rule of three" refers to plugging sets of lights end-to-end, not into the same cord, outlet, or even having more than 3 plugs stacked. All of that is fine, provided you don't overload things.

And it's a dirty little secret that the rule-of-3 isn't sacred either. For example, you can plug in 6 50-strings and it's the exact same thing as 3 100's.

maybe im not talking about the right thing either LOL this is confusing. i need something that has a lot of outlets on it. i dont know what to use like i said before ive had things get burnt out by plugging in too many.

How old are your lights? I wonder if you have something else going on here... For example, you should always replace burned-out bulbs as soon as possible, or the others will burn out more quickly.

These are useful.

675299.jpg

But also you need to use a kill-a watt or something to measure how many amps of lights you are running so you are not overloading your main cord (or you might have something worse than a burned out bulb, but instead a fire). You main cord might need to be a heavier cord (14g+) since it will be supplying the power to everything else. Obviously can't exceed the limits of your circuit breaker that the outlet is on too.

where do i plug that into? extension cable outside or the outlet in the garage?

Either one. Typically you'd run a cord outside that's heavy-duty enough to handle the whole load (from that outlet) and then split it outside with one of these. But there's nothing wrong with splitting it at the outlet either...