LED TV's

paul sessel

I just found out the other day that "LED" TV's really aren't. They're nothing more than an LCD TV with LED backlighting, like modern laptops (and cell phones) have.

Pure marketing BS.

There evidently IS an up-and-coming "real" LED TV but they aren't in stores yet.

I just found out the other day that "LED" TV's really aren't. They're nothing more than an LCD TV with LED backlighting, like modern laptops (and cell phones) have.

Pure marketing BS.

There evidently IS an up-and-coming "real" LED TV but they aren't in stores yet.

The LED backlighting does give better color rendering than fluorescent, but not enough to justify the excessive price differential IMHO. As for real LED TVs, don't hold your breath. Organic LEDs still suffer from poor efficiency and short lifetimes (especially for blue), while 4,000,000+ inorganic semiconductor LEDs would be way too expensive for a consumer product.

Here's a "cite" for my claims:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisions/qt/ledlcdtvfacts.htm

@eyezzoi: That was Bailey, our Golden who passed on last year. Sometime I need to update the avatar with Chester, our current Golden buddy.

For additional information, here is a CNET article I have forwarded in the past that gives a nice overview of the LED technology:

http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

The LED backlighting does give better color rendering than fluorescent, but not enough to justify the excessive price differential IMHO. As for real LED TVs, don't hold your breath. Organic LEDs still suffer from poor efficiency and short lifetimes (especially for blue), while 4,000,000+ inorganic semiconductor LEDs would be way too expensive for a consumer product.

LG will have an OLED TV out in March of next year supposedly... $9600... http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/09/03/lg.31.inch.oled.tv.a.real.march.production.model/

"LED" TV's are the overpriced "SUV" of the TV world. Many manufacturers go so far as to tout their TV as "FULL LED" which is in fact a misleading statement. Only Sony has a true LED display TV for sale, and it's only 11"

LED TV's have no color advantage over CCFL.

LED TV's have the ability to dim zones, reduce energy use and provide a flatter display panel.

BTW, TV manufacturers LOVE LED TV's because they make WAY more profit on them. CCFL LCD TV's are priced very aggressively, but people will pay big premiums for "LED TV" even though honestly, they may not necessarily "need" an LED backlit TV.

I work part time in home theater at best buy and the only led's we have that post over 25% profit margin are the lg infinia's the run approx 35-40% margin and the samsung 8000 and 9000 series about 30%, the 3d tv are the one that are the profit monsters right now. the panasonic vt series has almost 45 points in margin in that badboy. the lg 3d has 40 points in margin

that's actually the only reason i work there is for the discount, we get it for what best buy pays for it not to metion right now as an employee sony offers us an aditional rebate for buying their tvs i suggest if you really want to get a good deal on one to get a holiday job at bb: see attached i bought the 60" model at the bottom of the list not only do you get 900 back from sony but i got it at bb cost so after rebate this $4299 tv cost me 1679

Edited by kingsislandtechservices

We bought an LCD TV with LED backlighting for our ice cream store. We use Dish Network with HD. The picture is awesome. We bought it because is was very thin and not very heavy. We close the store on October 31 and don't open back up until March 14, so we wanted to buy a TV that we could take down in the fall and put back up in the spring. I like it so much, that I am putting it in my home office for the upcoming income tax season and will buy a new TV for the store when we open back up in the spring.

Exactly one day after the warranty expired on my projection LCD, the backlight went out. Coughed up $300 for a new bulb. Then a year later the optical block begins delaminating.

When the tax refund comes in, you can rest assured there will be an LG LED(backlit) set replacing it. Less heat, power consumption, costly repairs and headaches.

Exactly one day after the warranty expired on my projection LCD, the backlight went out. Coughed up $300 for a new bulb. Then a year later the optical block begins delaminating.

When the tax refund comes in, you can rest assured there will be an LG LED(backlit) set replacing it. Less heat, power consumption, costly repairs and headaches.

Just an FYI, the stock warranty doesn't cover bulbs. Most extended warranties don't either. We had a DLP and they defined the bulb as disposable... luckily it was only $150!!

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying the "LED/LCD" TV's didn't have any advantages or were bad - just that the marketing is all but criminally misleading. It's sort of like saying your Chevy Suburban is an "electric car" because it has a battery and an electric motor to start the engine with.

Say the tv costs us $500.. We sell it at $450 so we actually lose money on it. Then you throw in the three tv's stolen the other night and the three stolen the week before by the same people... yeah Walmart has top notch asset protection (rolls eyes)

I'm assuming that you make the money on things like cables and wall mounts?

I paid $40 shipped from a vendor on eBay for the wall mount that holds up our LCD TV. Wal-Mart had the same type of thing for $120, and Best Buy was closer to $150 (plus tax). It's been hanging for 3 years and hasn't fallen down yet :)

In case anyone cares, the vendor was "assiamount". I just checked again and now they have them for $21 shipped. Highly recommended:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-PLASMA-FLAT-TILT-TV-WALL-MOUNT-32-37-42-46-50-52-60-/330429922776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cef287dd8 The only small caveat was it didn't include the screws to attach the mount to the TV (it claimed the TV would come with them, but mine didn't). A quick trip to True Value for some M5 (I think) screws for a couple bucks and I was in business :)