Securing blow molds

The BEST way to secure a blowmold is probably driving a fence stake into the ground and placing the mold over the stake. You could even wire the mold to the stake if you needed more security. Thats alot of work though.

If youre not overly worried about theft, i think that weighting the base is usually enough to stand up to moderate gusts of wind. If you get alot of high wind, then staking is probably your best option.

For weight i use good quality ziploc bags 3/4 filled with peagravel. For molds with smaller holes in the bottom, you can work the bag of gravel into the hole with a little effort. The key is to not fill the bag too full of gravel. Smaller molds only need one bigger ziploc bag of gravel. Larger molds need 2 or more.

Some of the larger molds will have a large hole in the bottom, and the bag of gravel wants to fall out. So i cut a piece of wood slightly narrower than the diameter of the hole, and about 4" longer than the diameter of the hole as a stopper. You can feed the board into the hole and center it to support your bags of gravel.

I secure several hundred molds each season. I use rebar and zipties. I usually place one inside the mold and one behind the mold. This sandwiches the blow mold and it will not move, spin, or tilt in the wind.

For really large molds, I will also use weight, as Scrooge mentioned, but I use bricks if the bottom access hole is large enough.

on a positive note 99% of my molds i cut holes in the bottoms of them (oh my) and stake them to the ground... toy soldiers are wired to the stake and not inside them. Fishing line I found out is neat can't see it at all and holds tight.... so far.

PS

Zip ties...... are a must have. i used them this year they are wonderful

Edited by shawniepooh

on a positive note 99% of my molds i cut holes in the bottoms of them (oh my) and stake them to the ground... toy soldiers are wired to the stake and not inside them. Fishing line I found out is neat can't see it at all and holds tight.... so far.

PS

Zip ties...... are a must have. i used them this year they are wonderful

Just remember to trim off the ends..they catch light and look terrible ;)

I usually just stake a pole in the ground behind the mold and then use thin wire (home depot, lowes) which isnt that expensive.. and then make a tie at the top of the mold and at the bottom.. then after you wrap around from front to back you make like 3 twists.. doing this at the top and bottom should me it nice and tact.. then after the season you just untwist and twist it back around the mold.. this allows you to reuse the wire each season.. its works great for me.. zip ties it also a great however I stay with the wire..

To keep molds from falling over, I use a lot of bricks, pebble stones, wooden dowel rods (hammer into ground), and sand bags. I personally do not put sand into a blow mold, if it gets wet, it sticks to the inside of the mold causing an ugly shadow. I fill zip lock bags with sand and insert those. I can remove them and reuse them as well. But I never really ever remove the sand bags from my blow molds. Bricks or pebble stones work very well too, it just depends on how large the mold is and its shape. I don't recommend using picture wire to hold your blow molds from falling over because that wire will evenually rust in time. Nor do I recommend any kind of wire to be used on your blow molds as that will cause a wire rust smudge or indent into your blow molds. And one last point, please don't use rebar as the rebar will rust and you will have rusting all over your blow molds inside the plastic. I would recommend using wood pieces instead of rebar to hold them down. I learned the hard way using rebar and wire. Not good. Following these procedures will make your blow molds display a much greater and beaufiful look and keep them from falling over.

I use toggle bolts and cable reel discs to secure mine, all I do is set them out and that's it. I leave the bases on all year. The base is heavy enough to prevent them being blown down, so I don't need any weights and I can chain everything by running the chain through the already existing holes in the bases. The bases are low profile so you don't see them from the road. I get the cable reels free at a local electrical supplier, they're more than happy to give them away.

dcp1188.jpg

dcp1193.jpg

To keep molds from falling over, I use a lot of bricks, pebble stones, wooden dowel rods (hammer into ground), and sand bags. I personally do not put sand into a blow mold, if it gets wet, it sticks to the inside of the mold causing an ugly shadow. I fill zip lock bags with sand and insert those. I can remove them and reuse them as well. But I never really ever remove the sand bags from my blow molds. Bricks or pebble stones work very well too, it just depends on how large the mold is and its shape. I don't recommend using picture wire to hold your blow molds from falling over because that wire will evenually rust in time. Nor do I recommend any kind of wire to be used on your blow molds as that will cause a wire rust smudge or indent into your blow molds. And one last point, please don't use rebar as the rebar will rust and you will have rusting all over your blow molds inside the plastic. I would recommend using wood pieces instead of rebar to hold them down. I learned the hard way using rebar and wire. Not good. Following these procedures will make your blow molds display a much greater and beaufiful look and keep them from falling over.

I've been using rebar for years..at least 25 years and have never had a problem with rust. Ever. So I respectfully disagree with you.

• 9 months later...

I like to use the U channel "fence" posts from home depot or lowes. They are not expensive and do not rot. for a dollar or two a mold it adds a bunch of stability and security to the molds.. I do the line of 15 soldiers along the curb out front and they do a great job. It also sticks in my mind the stories of folks having their molds ran over, if they run mine over they will have a shock and I may have an oil trail to follow... : )