Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
wstie

Countdown clock

Last year the president of the house bought me a christmas countdown clock that was sold at Bed Bath Beyond. It is the snowman with the tinsel type garland on top of the clock. I believe it is made by Decra lite. Anyway I have not been able to program this. There are 3 buttons on the back A B C does anyone have the instruction manual or know how to set it up.

Last year the president of the house bought me a christmas countdown clock that was sold at Bed Bath Beyond. It is the snowman with the tinsel type garland on top of the clock. I believe it is made by Decra lite. Anyway I have not been able to program this. There are 3 buttons on the back A B C does anyone have the instruction manual or know how to set it up.

Press 'A' to get into setup mode. Use the 'B' button to select the number of days until Christmas:

- If it's November, the formula is (30 - date) + 24

- If it's December, the formula is (date - 24)

Next you need to select the *current* time, in 24-hour format Press A to get to each field, then use the B to set it properly.

When all is correct, press 'C'. The time will change from the "current" time to the "time left to get to the next day", which, when added to the big days number, is the time left until 12:00AM Dec 25.

-Tim

I saw a post on here last year with detailed info just after I crushed mine. Took days and I still couldn't get it. It took a long flight down the driveway. I really did feel better after doing it. Hopefully Tim's advice will work ;)

Best of luck to you!!!

i was able to get mine programmed by following the directions it came with, and once it was set, I never had to reset it again each year, it just seemed to know. Or a shortcut, you can find some countdown to christmas online and plug in those numbers on yours.

apologies for the sidways photo

Every year I have to search this site for directions. Guess I will program mine tomorrow!

Sent from my Droid X

Here's the PDF of the instructions for the countdown clock. This is why I love this time of year, because every year someone posts that they can't find their instructions, and I love being the guy with the answer 3 years in a row. This PDF file should work for most similar designs of this countdown to christmas clock.

http://lauderdalechristmas.com/countdown-clock-instructions001.pdf

Jeff

I love being the guy with the answer 3 years in a row.

Other than the fact I already answered it several days ago? :)

Yes, I saw that Tim, and you did a fine job indeed! Lots of poeple want the PDF so it's always fun to be able to supply that. What I don't know is why everyone keeps losing their instructions!

We are about 6 hours off, maybe I will try again later, but it is out on the roof, and it has been raining for days, I guess Christmas will just

come earlier to our house. Thanks for the instructions.

Yes, I saw that Tim, and you did a fine job indeed! Lots of poeple want the PDF so it's always fun to be able to supply that. What I don't know is why everyone keeps losing their instructions!

Yeah I'm glad you posted the PDF. I was just funn'in ya :)

We are about 6 hours off, maybe I will try again later, but it is out on the roof, and it has been raining for days, I guess Christmas will just

come earlier to our house. Thanks for the instructions.

Make sure you're setting the CURRENT time, not the time remaining. You need to set the DAYS remaining but the CURRENT time, which is a bit confusing. Also make sure you set the time in 24 hour format (so if it's 6:03pm when you set it, set the time to 18:03 not 6:03 or 5:57 (the time remaining to the next day).

Their programming algorithm on this clock is the worst I've ever seen. I remember the first year I got that thing it took me an hour to figure out what the heck they were saying, and then that mutally exclusive direction on the time setting! I wish they would come up with a version that connects to your PC by USB and just grabs the time. Why don't we invent one that does that?

Here's the PDF of the instructions for the countdown clock. This is why I love this time of year, because every year someone posts that they can't find their instructions, and I love being the guy with the answer 3 years in a row. This PDF file should work for most similar designs of this countdown to christmas clock.

http://lauderdalechristmas.com/countdown-clock-instructions001.pdf

Jeff

Jeff " you the Man" two.

Keeping up with instructions!

It may not work for everyone but I found that if I put the instructions in a zip lock bag and tape it to the back/bottom etc. of the item I always know where to find it. (jmhtcw)

I find that keeping the instructions as a PDF file on my PC is easiest, as I can study them anytime I want to that all I have to do is pull the countdown clock out of my attic and program it, and not worry about anything else.

... you can find some countdown to christmas online and plug in those numbers on yours.

apologies for the sidways photo

This is EXACTLY what i did, i used my blackberry and found one that worked on it, then i just matched what it said... :) I LOVE the interwebs!!! LOL

I use to store all my login names and passwords on my computer as pdf's as well until my hard drive crashed. Thought I would never get all my login names and passwords reconstructed. I now keep such info in a small journal kept under lock and key.

My advise, keep them if both places. You never know when your computer will crash.

I also got this clock last year from Bed Bath & Beyond, after Christmas. I had the instructions and programmed it and it's been working fine, UNTIL YESTERDAY! :( Now the display just has one big "0" on the top left and everything else is blank, so no more countdown. Has this happened to anyone else or are there any ideas on how to fix it? I couldn't find the company name on the box to see if they had a website. Nothing in the instructions has a 'troubleshooting' section, and neither unplugging nor pushing of the A-B-C buttons has helped. The worst part is that I didn't even have it outside, it's been in the house in front of the window the entire time, I can't believe it didn't even last through one Christmas. Help?