Weekend weather

I like to think that some of our candy canes are now mini-arches!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=464846812075&set=a.159746497075.116814.159730967075

Love your new mini-arches. I was out checking over my display, it actually looks kind of cool with the lights under the snow. See the new pics on my website. Also, while writing this, I couldn't believe, but a limo pulled up, I guess their show has to go on. Our street is only one lane right now and I haven't seen a snow plow yet.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love your new mini-arches. I was out checking over my display, it actually looks kind of cool with the lights under the snow. See the new pics on my website. Also, while writing this, I couldn't believe, but a limo pulled up, I guess their show has to go on. Our street is only one lane right now and I haven't seen a snow plow yet.

I like the drift rings around stuff in your pictures!

Hopefully they get you plowed out soon!

I will be coming by everyone's that I can this year. I guess I will be able to buy extra presents this year since I do not have to pay the energy bill now. I went out today and walked around and laughed. There is no way I can dig out my entire display. Heck a snow drift has now buried one of my Mr. Christmas Mickey Mouse frames. And that is very tall. LOL

Chuck - you might be able to salvage something. I was really down also and was considering just shutting down. My main issue is the snow berm - our whole arch fence (which is truly one of the stars of the show) is all but invisible from cars parked - you can tell it's there but not see any of the effects really. But I was able to get up and running tonight after spending a lot of time digging some things out. It's definitely what I would want my display to look like, but I was impressed everything is pretty much working and people are still stopping and enjoying it. Cathy went out to offer a carload of enthusiastic teens some candy canes tonight and they went on for over 5 minutes about how the love the display and the one girl said she brings all her friends there and had been back many times. The guys in the back evidently were asking Cathy all kinds of tech questions that she was attempting to answer since that's really my department :)

Anyway, I'd encourage you to spend a little bit of time to uncover what you can. You'd be surprised how nice it will work if you just clear out a little area around all the molds/frames. People will still enjoy it... You've already invested a lot of work, just a little bit more will preserve that investment. Something to think about anyway...

Since I've been planning for 2011 for a couple months now, I just keep telling myself that this is an "exception", it's not the rule. If I had everything up that I am planning for NEXT year, I'd be a LOT more disappointed/angry. I sure hope enough folks decide to dig out a bit because we are still planning to bring the boys around town to see lights!!

Chuck - you might be able to salvage something. I was really down also and was considering just shutting down. My main issue is the snow berm - our whole arch fence (which is truly one of the stars of the show) is all but invisible from cars parked - you can tell it's there but not see any of the effects really. But I was able to get up and running tonight after spending a lot of time digging some things out. It's definitely what I would want my display to look like, but I was impressed everything is pretty much working and people are still stopping and enjoying it. Cathy went out to offer a carload of enthusiastic teens some candy canes tonight and they went on for over 5 minutes about how the love the display and the one girl said she brings all her friends there and had been back many times. The guys in the back evidently were asking Cathy all kinds of tech questions that she was attempting to answer since that's really my department :)

Anyway, I'd encourage you to spend a little bit of time to uncover what you can. You'd be surprised how nice it will work if you just clear out a little area around all the molds/frames. People will still enjoy it... You've already invested a lot of work, just a little bit more will preserve that investment. Something to think about anyway...

Tim, I've seem your display and it is great as is. But you seem to fight the snowplow berm every year; is there a way to raise your arches or perhaps move them? Just a thought. :D

What a year.... I'm feeling down about the whole snow pile in our cul de sac. It is about 30' tall now and pretty much filled all of the parking that was in front of my house. The drifts of snow around the candy canes are like slashdudes.... and in anticipation of the snow this year I stake them 6 inches off the ground by attatching them to bamboo stakes! aarrrggghhhhh.... I'll get out with some photos when it gets warmer. Viewers are jockying around the large snow pile to get a view. Hopefully everyone keeps their cool! The ground shrubs are hard to see from the street. Oh well... It's Minnesota!

What a year.... I'm feeling down about the whole snow pile in our cul de sac. It is about 30' tall now and pretty much filled all of the parking that was in front of my house. The drifts of snow around the candy canes are like slashdudes.... and in anticipation of the snow this year I stake them 6 inches off the ground by attatching them to bamboo stakes! aarrrggghhhhh.... I'll get out with some photos when it gets warmer. Viewers are jockying around the large snow pile to get a view. Hopefully everyone keeps their cool! The ground shrubs are hard to see from the street. Oh well... It's Minnesota!

Ground shrubs. . . are you kidding?

Welcome to PlanetChristmas! Tell us how you were affected by the snow.

Thanks for the welcome!

I have been fairly lucky, most of my display has been unaffected by the large snowfall. The only exceptions have been small lighted ground ornaments, ground level strobes, Coro mini-trees and my inflatable Grinch.

I gave up on digging out the ornaments after they started break. I thought they looked a little junky anyway. I was able to pull the strobes and mini-trees up above the snow surface and re-anchor them. I knew that the strobes would require digging out with any snow, but I thought that I would give it a try - it wasn

Tim, I've seem your display and it is great as is. But you seem to fight the snowplow berm every year; is there a way to raise your arches or perhaps move them? Just a thought. :D

Mike: I've only fought the plow berm last year and this one. I've been doing displays at this location since 2002 and never before that have we had anywhere near this much snow in December.

Raising the arches would pose a number of challenges. First I'd have to figure out how to do it (right now I just pound angled rods into the ground and place the PVC of the arches over them), and then they would block everything behind them. They're supposed to be a low fence that keeps people out of the display area but doesn't block anything behind them.

I'm considering all options at this point, though.

Thanks for the welcome!

I have been fairly lucky, most of my display has been unaffected by the large snowfall. The only exceptions have been small lighted ground ornaments, ground level strobes, Coro mini-trees and my inflatable Grinch.

I gave up on digging out the ornaments after they started break. I thought they looked a little junky anyway. I was able to pull the strobes and mini-trees up above the snow surface and re-anchor them. I knew that the strobes would require digging out with any snow, but I thought that I would give it a try - it wasn’t too bad. The Grinch has been the only other thing that has caused trouble. The increased snow has made it difficult to anchor. At this point I’ve retired the Grinch for the season.

All in all, I’m happy that I’ve only had minor problems. At least I don’t have a mountain of snow in front of my display.

Thanks again for the welcome!

If you don't mind sharing, where is your display located? I work in Eden Prairie... Also thanks for your kind words about our display.

Tim, If I had the time I would, but now that the storm has hit, well the good ole USPS is now way behind. I am working 12 hr days 6 days a week and truly am exhausted by the time I get home. By the way I leave to go to work when it is dark and come home when it is dark..LOL....sorry not standing up and preaching as I am sure others are in the same boat. But I am too afraid to walk into my yard in the dark as to step on something or injure myself. I would love to get out there but just not possible. One last thing the Woodbury Public Works Snowtrucks decided to come by AGAIN today and make the wall even higher so if I could dig it out, it would be very difficult for anyone to see over it....Maybe next year....

I have such a tiny little yard, most of my stuff is right near the house anyway, but it still can't be seen from the road with the huge snow berms that have been created, and the huge drift across the yard. I dug out my bushes in front of the house, and now the pile in my yard is even higher! I told my wife I want to go buy an LED spiral tree and put it right up on top of the snow pile in the front yard...in defiance of the snow!!!

also...my son broke all 3 of my walkway lights "helping" me remove the snow.

One last thing the Woodbury Public Works Snowtrucks decided to come by AGAIN today and make the wall even higher so if I could dig it out, it would be very difficult for anyone to see over it....Maybe next year....

I feel your pain - that's my main problem now as well. Nothing I can do about it either, short of hiring a bobcat, large truck, and finding somewhere to haul the snow. But people are still stopping and enjoying the lights.

In addition I've been plagued by "stuck channels" this year with LOR. I have no idea why, my setup is exactly the same, other than one new controller (my talking tree) chained on the end. I'm actually using significantly more Cat-5 this year instead of my usual flat phone cable too. Next year I am going to try to get to all Cat-5. It looks really stupid when a strobe channel gets stuck on, or part of the talking tree...

Sorry about your display and work schedule! Some years you just can't win... Did you folks deliver mail on Saturday? We got ours as per normal- he actually came to the door to deliver a package and Cathy asked him how things were and he said we were his first stop! But several friends said they didn't get mail, so I'm assuming that the USPS recalled people back in at some point?

Later,

-Tim

We moved our display this year four blocks down street to the lodge hall, we have three levels of yard to work with and its been a lot of fun. The weather has not damaged anything but the bitter cold has kept the visters down. Our donations have been really off this year, until last night when we got a nice donation from an unknown source. Hope the weather inproves to allow people to get out more.

Tim,

They made us go out and try to deliver. My first two blocks on a average day takes 18 minutes. Well it took me 1 hr and 40 mins. Finally the Postmaster of Minnesota recalled all carriers around NOON. By that time I had only delivered 3 1/2 blocks (after being on the street for 3 hrs). I left the station at 2pm to go home to Woodbury even after my wife begged me to get a hotel room. I got lucky and made it onto 494 and thought I had stepped into a war zone. Cars crashed everywhere, SUV's flying by me and hitting the guard rails or going into the ditch. What a nightmare..oh and it took me 2 hrs to get from Bloomington to Woodbury. But I made it home..LOL

As for the city they came by even again today and pushed it up even higher. I do not think they can go any higher..LOL. The Woodbury paper is coming out on Friday to do an article on my buried display and on my Grandfathers cutouts. So I got something good out of it this year.

After a weekend of snow blowing, the tire on our snow blower came off the rim. The redneck in me always wanted to try the WD-40 fix to get the tire to rebead...

It didn't work :( (But I finally found something that did :) )

Check out my fail, and then I finally got it to work! -

After a weekend of snow blowing, the tire on our snow blower came off the rim. The redneck in me always wanted to try the WD-40 fix to get the tire to rebead...

It didn't work :( (But I finally found something that did :) )

Check out my fail, and then I finally got it to work! -

There's an easier, if less manly, way :) I have a stubborn tire on the front of my lawn tractor that likes to get a slow leak and then come off the rim. All you need to do is wrap a ratchet strap around it (with the wheel raised off the ground), crank it up somewhat tight, and start filling it with air. This will seat the bead then you can remove the tie, and finish inflating.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope those of you in MN still running are faring better than me tonight. Down to less than 48 channels and pretty much just the Nativity area in front of the house - the rest I can't keep the GFI's happy. Pretty much all of my connections are now buried in very wet slush (how do you raise up connections higher than 3 feet??) I probably will be kicking myself in a couple days that I didn't just start teardown today - even with the rain...

I hope those of you in MN still running are faring better than me tonight. Down to less than 48 channels and pretty much just the Nativity area in front of the house - the rest I can't keep the GFI's happy. Pretty much all of my connections are now buried in very wet slush (how do you raise up connections higher than 3 feet??) I probably will be kicking myself in a couple days that I didn't just start teardown today - even with the rain...

I think someone needs a cup of hot chocolate and to watch "It's a Wonderful Life." Think of all the folks that have already seen your display and taken joy from it. If you'll feel better, just flip the switch and watch movies or go look at other displays. . .okay, driving won't be real fun tomorrow, but it's a thought. For me, I just keep fixing what I can and writing off what is not time effective to fix. I run my lights through the weekend after New Years . . . and sometimes I pick one or two elements and run them longer. Without my lights, it's just so Dark at night.

I think someone needs a cup of hot chocolate and to watch "It's a Wonderful Life." Think of all the folks that have already seen your display and taken joy from it. If you'll feel better, just flip the switch and watch movies or go look at other displays. . .okay, driving won't be real fun tomorrow, but it's a thought. For me, I just keep fixing what I can and writing off what is not time effective to fix. I run my lights through the weekend after New Years . . . and sometimes I pick one or two elements and run them longer. Without my lights, it's just so Dark at night.

I hear ya bro - I love the lights, but it tears me up when I can't run them. After about an hour of watching people stop and wait for the rest of the display to come on, I finally shut the whole thing down. It just didn't feel right to have less than 1/4 of the display lit (including some odd combinations like one out of two of rows of the driveway canes working and one not)

Yes Tim, I have felt your pain, when the Show doesn't go on like it should...Just last year electrical issues shut me down two nights before Christmas for the season. Chuck (C.J.) and others...This has been one for the P.I.A. meter! I'm still lit, although still buried! Thanks to Bob my electrician who found 60 more amps on my board that were borrowed from places not being used and 16 new outside outlets. We have learned to cover our 3, 4 and 5 way plugs in plastic boxes from watching and listening to all of you at the minis' and all of a sudden... Power, that "Knock on Wood" will stay lit for two more Nights.

Next year 1 Timer instead of 15 and more Lights and wireframes...And by July, I should just be done digging out my molds in time to start setting up next years display.