Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
BroLarry

How is everyone progressing?

Progressing more slowly than we would like, but I think we will be taking a few days off work in the next two weeks to get caught up. We got the 22' mega tree pole and base up today (since it is IRON pipe, it is quite heavy! And I got half way through building my reindeer barn for my talking reindeer, and taking photos along the way for posting a how-to later on. After a time consuming trip to Lowes for supplies today, we came home and started pulling out the decorations and putting them in the yard for arranging. Got a college student to help put the lights on the roof -- he hasn't gotten fat and top-heavy like us just yet, so he will have an eaier time of it!

We will be busy through Thanksgiving weekend, then I'm off for work for two weeks out of town, so my poor dear husband has to finish it up on his own!

Slowly!! So far I have just some lights on the porch & a couple mini trees lit.Had to cut the grass today so should get a good bit done this week I hope.

I want the most of it done before the kiddies are home for a week.

Looks like I will be spending alot of late nights getting LOR sequenced to my display.I will be doing just 1 song on my own & using others that are being shared online.I really hope it works right LOL

The only Christmas lights that are on in the yard is the

3D star on top of the mega tree. i like to turn it on first for a few days, to kind of resemble the Star of Bethlehem that leads the way to the big Event! :)

Slow going but I'm way ahead of last year, my first year. It's amazing how quickly you learn how long things take. I've redesigned my set and have expanded a little. Once your involved in this ... there's no way you can be content with the status quo.

Slowly but surely here in the UK, High 70mph winds and rain storms haven't helped this year. I have a further week to set everything up before one week of testing.

Done items are, 20ft Mega, 10ft Ferris wheel, icicles, 20ft firework light, roof outline with rope light, roof lights, and ice pond.

Left to do...4 Arches (already made with sleeves) 10 mini trees, (already made) Yard decor, plus Santa's Symphonies to set with window and projector......

Weather permitting should be on track this week.

Good luck to everyone else & enjoy!

I'm really way behind. Had to move my train to another place this year but couldn't decide where to put it. If I out it where I wanted to, the trees blocked it. Another place was in one of my flower beds but I would have to cut down a crype Myrtle, so that's what I did. House lights are up and some of the trees are wrapped, but I just can't get motivated. Hopefully after reading how far along everyone else is on their displays will make me get going.

BEHINDED. And rain forcast for this week and next week. Get the rain coat out will be working all the way to openning date NOV 26th.

I was all on-track until about a week ago and I since then I seem to have fallen about a week behind. I less worried about the physical setup, but my sequencing is woefully behind and at the rate I'm going I'll be lucky to even have last year's sequences updated for the display changes by lights-on the 27th!

I'm hoping I can buckle down this week and get some new sequences finished so when I start the final setup in the yard next week I'm back on track!

I think we're on track. The song sequences are done and the voiceover sequences are almost finished. For me that's the HUGE part. I started putting lights on the bushes yesterday. The mini-trees and arches are done. Need to finish putting lights on the mega-star and wrap the bellagio poles. Weather permitting I'll put more lights out this week. The lion's share of the setup will take place this weekend which is early for us. Our show opens on 11/27 (Sat), and we are hoping to have it completely setup and tested on 11/26 (Fri).

I'm about to start hitting the long evenings. I have been waiting for the leaves to finish falling. They plug up my gutters for the entire winter if i leave them in there. And I can't clean them out once the lights are up. I also hate the look of leaves piled at the base of everything in the yard. Sequencing is nearly finished but never really gets done... Actually the display actually never really gets done....LOL

Leaping arches are up, Jump Pole for Mega tree with 3d star on top in place, and the frame for the projection screen is now in place. I'm pooped!

Doing fine... started a little late but some volunteers have got me back on schedule for a black Friday start. Though because of public service commitments, I will be doing the same shows/display over again this year. That is a first for that. Hope to be all new next year with new display and all. We'll see how it goes.

After 3 and a half weeks of work, "Lighting Up Mayton" is up and running. Praise the Lord! I still have a few tweaks here and there, but at least most of the stress is off.

Up and going....I did add some lighted snowflakes yesterday to give a little more lights on Santa Lane....