Neighbors bratty kids

So i was showing my friend how to use his Mr. Christmas on my house over the weekend. As I plugged my lights into the setup and it was running, then few minutes later my neighbors kids who are 9 and 11 were yelling at us to turn it off because its not Christmas and to stop showing off. They went on for a good 5 minutes. My buddy and I were annoyed by it cause its just plain rude. Not too mention they are not the best of kids, not the worst either.

I have had that problem in the past as well. I find that I test the sequences late at night and don't run everything until after Thanksgiving. When they have nerve to tell you that it is too early, just tell them you are testing things and won't run them until later. Or the REALLY simple thing to do is just ignore them and enjoy your hobby!

Wow! I wonder if their parents were home at the time? Being a teacher...I would have stop what I was doing and explained how rude they were being and let them know that I was going to speak to their parents when I had the chance.
Thank you for doing an important job. It's great to see someone willing to teach. Also manners are an important part of society. Well done.

I was on the roof the other day hanging lights, and this is by far the earliest I have ever set up. It got lots of attention, mostly positive, but a couple of people were making comments. I just acted like I didn't hear the negative ones.

EARLY?!? One of my neighbors stopped by today as I was setting up and commented "We were afraid you weren't doing a display this year because you're so late setting up."

EARLY?!? One of my neighbors stopped by today as I was setting up and commented "We were afraid you weren't doing a display this year because you're so late setting up."

Not this year, but many years I've gotten comments about being "early" when I'm stringing lights the first week or so of November. Oddly, this was the nicest setup weather we've ever had up until the snowstorm last weekend, and nobody said a word. Usually the nicer the weather, the less Minnesotans think about preparing for Christmas. Now that we got the very early snow, nobody would question it :)

The kids parents were most definitely home. The parents are not the most friendly people either. At least one of my neighbors who lives a few blocks away already made a comment that she was happy to see me putting up the lights.

I guess that doesn't surprise me that the parents were home. I am seeing it more and more where parents just are not teaching good manners anymore and come to defend their children on their bad behavior and actions. These kids are growing up learning not to be accountable or take responsibility for their actions :( I am glad to hear that you do have supportive neighbors around you!!! Just keep what you are doing and have fun with your hobby.

Yeah I have also noticed that kids today are not respectful at least in the areas I am in. Some are but I am surprised by how many aren't. My neighbor was just telling me one of the other neighbors kids threatened to kill his son when he was older. When me neighbor went to that kids father the guy said oh come on they are only kids. Don't you think you need to say something and tell your son thats wrong.

Maybe you could use reverse psychology and ask if they'd like to help (maybe for pay & maybe not). Assign them some small tasks that are not a danger to them yet something they couldn't possibly screw up. If they accept, encourage them and you'll gain their respect. Then again, they might end up worrying the heck out of you asking if they can help everytime you go out in the yard. Works on some kids, don't on others but a risk you might want to take.

Maybe you could use reverse psychology and ask if they'd like to help (maybe for pay & maybe not). Assign them some small tasks that are not a danger to them yet something they couldn't possibly screw up. If they accept, encourage them and you'll gain their respect. Then again, they might end up worrying the heck out of you asking if they can help everytime you go out in the yard. Works on some kids, don't on others but a risk you might want to take.

Thats a great Idea. I think I am going to try that.

thanks.

I've never started setting up before the day before Thanksgiving until this year. Everyone in my neighborhood thought that was too early! People here seem to strictly follow the "no Christmas until after Thanksgiving" rule.

People here seem to strictly follow the "no Christmas until after Thanksgiving" rule.

That's why I try to be respectful, and only start stringing up lights after November, and only start setting up displays (wireframes, candy canes, etc) in mid-November. People don't understand that just because their husband can throw the lights on the bush in an hour after the Thanksgiving meal, that our displays require days/weeks and you can't wait until after Thanksgiving to start them - nor do we want to waste 60 degree weather so we can instead set up in the 20's or lower.

Hi Tim! That was my idea too - start putting up the more difficult to install lights and then the displays on Thanksgiving. I am getting a VERY late start this year since fall really just now kicked off and I am finally having to rake leaves (2 weeks late.)

I, luckily, have had no problem with people telling me I was too early but at the same time I have gotten no offers to help. I am hoping to make some of those chicken-wire outdoor light balls this year and was hoping I could get my wife and nieces involved. But finding time to do that is getting harder now that I have an acre of leaves to blow leaves off of. :-( The wind luckily has been knocking more off the trees but there is still a LOT of leaves up there STILL...

That's why I try to be respectful, and only start stringing up lights after November, and only start setting up displays (wireframes, candy canes, etc) in mid-November. People don't understand that just because their husband can throw the lights on the bush in an hour after the Thanksgiving meal, that our displays require days/weeks and you can't wait until after Thanksgiving to start them - nor do we want to waste 60 degree weather so we can instead set up in the 20's or lower.

Exactly, and I started set-up very late by the standards of people on PC. I did have the HOA president walk by the other day, and I was expecting to get in trouble, but she said it was a good idea to do it early so you could enjoy thanksgiving instead of decorating for christmas. I saw christmas lights up and turned on at their house that night! lol

That is too funny. When I lived in Florida, I had a couple of funny interactions with neighborhood kids. On time a boy came by on his scooter and told me that his dad thinks my display sucks because I use too many green and red lights. His dad and I had a friendly competition going on for a few years in that neighborhood. Prior to us moving in, they had won best lights in neighborhood the year prior. After I moved in, I won it 3 years in a row. It wasnt even close. The boys dad about died when I told him what his son said. Another time, I had a 5 year old girl tell me, "my mom said you obviously dont know anything about God because you celebrate christmas." I was floored and did not even know how to respond. My wife just started laughing and I about fell off he ladder. I later found out that due to their religion, they didnt celebrate christmas. Anyways, I just thought I would those funny moments with you all.