The LARGEST Christmas Tree in the World - Now musically synchronized

Greetings my PlanetChristmas family!

On November 13th, the Gallo Christmas Tree in Guatemala City performed it's first show for 55,000 people!

1.5 Million more were watching on live TV.

This is the largest artificial foliage Christmas tree in the world at 145' (base diameter 55') with 1.5 million lights!

Check out more details at JHolmesProductions.com including a new video trailer!

Videos of individual musical masterpieces coming soon :)

Sincerely and with true appreciation for your help and inspiration,

Jeff Holmes

Hi Jeff,

Very impressive...I can't wait to see more videos of the tree...

I also liked the music that you used in the trailer. Can you please tell us who the artist is? Is it available to purchase from the usual places like Amazon or iTunes?

Thanks,

The Hard-Drive with our song archive is on it's way to me now! I'll have videos for you soon :)

Unfortunately I have no idea what the name of the song is in the trailer. I know it was created by the London Philharmonic Orchestra but no more details than that. Sorry!

Three Major Updates:

1) The site has been updated to include a photos page! Check it out!

2) I am looking to build an entirely new site for my business! Interested? Message me!

3) We are talking about holding a programming contest for 2011.

The winner will have his/her song added to the play-list of this magnificent tree!

I'll post on the forum if this comes to fruition!

Post your questions here! I'm writing a PC Magazine article on the show and want to know what you want to know ;).

Wow! What an Awesome looking tree and I can't believe the work that must have gone into making that. The tree itself is a masterpiece. What a great project to be involved with.

I would love to give a shot at programing a song on it. What are you using to control it?

Edited by RichardH
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings my PlanetChristmas family!

On November 13th, the Gallo Christmas Tree in Guatemala City performed it's first show for 55,000 people!

1.5 Million more were watching on live TV.

This is the largest artificial foliage Christmas tree in the world at 145' (base diameter 55') with 1.5 million lights!

Check out more details at JHolmesProductions.com including a new video trailer!

Videos of individual musical masterpieces coming soon :)

Sincerely and with true appreciation for your help and inspiration,

Jeff Holmes

The tree looks awesome!

Just curious, when showing and broadcasting to this many people, how much does the music cost?

Will the contest winner's sequence be sold?

Post your questions here! I'm writing a PC Magazine article on the show and want to know what you want to know ;).

How many channels in total? Is each horizontal section a channel or does it take multiple channels to make up one horizontal section? How many horizontal sections are there? How long was the build time? Are they going to resuse the tree next year?

This is outstanding! Congrats.

So many questions :)

Happily most of your questions will be answered in an upcoming Planet Christmas Magazine article I wrote on the project.

However, I will try to answer you all here right now :).

We are using Animated Lighting software/hardware to run the entire project.

However, with programs such as Light Show Pro, we can convert LOR programming into our format so anybody can enter the contest :)

While the details are still sketchy, I can tell you that we will not be flying the winning programmer out to Guatemala.

Most likely there will be a cash prize.

While I personally don't have any close-up photos of the harnessing, all our construction photos can be found at:

http://jholmesproductions.com/northernlights/guatemala/photos/Pages/Construction_Photos.html

Yes, it's a LOT of wire :) All SPT-2!

I have no idea what the final cost was! I sleep well at night though knowing it was not paid for by tax-payers but a private company (Gallo).

The star has 32 sections that allowed us practically unlimited control.

Each section contained about 3 to 4 sticks that were constructed in a half-circle like pattern.

Then each set was attached to the center pole to create the starburst.

Close-up of smaller version here:

http://jholmesproductions.com/northernlights/guatemala/Blog/Entries/2010/8/27_First_Live_Test!.html

I was not in charge of music licensing so I can't answer that question. Sorry :(

Total channels visible = 131. However, we spread that across 45 control boxes to handle the power output.

Each 5 ft section was one channel per color. However, as the tree got bigger we had to spread the lights across multiple channels to

handle the power so while there are probably more channels used, many sections contained duplicate programming.

There were 21 sections/rings total we got to play with :).

I was flown in a week before opening night so I am not sure exactly how long construction time was.

All the pieces were built in San Francisco before being shipped to Guatemala via freighter.

As for on-site construction, I estimate 3 weeks.

Yes, they will absolutely be using the same tree next year. Most likely they will be also purchasing 25 smaller trees for other locations in Guatemala. All those details, however, go through my boss. I'm just the sub-contractor in charge of musical selection, programming, and on-site show support.

I hope this helps!

If you have any questions or are even remotely interested in becoming a project programmer (not the contest, just in general) please let me know! Programmers interested in work should send me sample videos.

Have I mentioned I love you guys? So glad to have people to share these crazy moments with :)