Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Frank Bustamante

Any orange county california planet christmas folks?

My display will be up and running this weekend at 4th and Pacific in downtown Long Beach. Saturday night will be my first night with a LOR display and music on 88.7fm. I live in a loft in a medium rise building, so I can only do 4 large windows. It is my first open display (I had a halloween party inside with my first 32 channels) and I now have 80 channels to try to saturate my windows...

With a greater appreciation for the work involved, and an excuse to step out of the LA traffic on the way home from work, I would love a list of addresses in the LA and OC county areas.

Please let me know where I can find a list, a map, or your display!!!

Thank you and Happy Holidays!!

Jay

Where is your display? I work in Brea, at medical company off Birch; are you near there?

I'm in Anaheim, first year LOR, 48 channels, only about 3000 lights, tiny compared to yours.

I'm in Irvine (near the 5 fwy and Culver). I'm putting the finishing touches on my display, but it is up and running now. I have over 28k lights with 160 LOR channels - 4th year animated.

Roy

Anaheim, Off 57 freeway at Lincoln: go west, right on Sunkist neighborhood before La Palma: about 50ft south of La Palma;

crosstreets Sunkist and La Palma: south west corner neighborhood

Radio station 87.9; 5pm to 10pm

Jay - My Address is 3942 Acacia. Directions - Culver Exit off 5 fwy - South (Rt), Right on Walnut, Left on Lime, Left on Chapparel, Right on Hollyoak, Left on Acacia. It's the 8th house down on the Right [The one with the Mega Tree, 5 leaping arches and flashing lights :)]. Running 5pm-10pm M-Th, 5pm-11 Fri-Sun. Tune to 104.7 if the outdoor speakers aren't loud enough. Text me at 949-202-6763 if you're outside watching the show and if I'm home I wouldn't mind coming out and talking with a fellow PC member. - Roy

I'm in Whittier, just feet from the Orange County border. I purchased 32 channels and a bunch of lights and only 6-months behind! The lights were supposed to be here today but somehow UPS got the wrong address (the invoice from CDI is correct). I'll be picking those up tonight in Cerritos.

I know I'm way behind the curve but expected to use this year as a learning experiment. I've seen the show next to my inlaws house in Placentia for years (on Roxborough Dr) and have always wanted put one together myself.

I had some extra money this year (won $$ on the Family Feud!) and purchased a LOR 32 channel kit, the FM transmitter, and 1800 lights. In my back yard I have a 40' ham radio tower so the tree is going up on that (the star will be at 45'). Music is Mr. Heat Miser from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. The light show will be pretty basic until I get past the learning curve!

Next year its Halloween and Christmas and the year after that I'll add the 4th of July!

I came across this thread wile looking for locations of other shows in Southern CA. I can understand the security concerns, but I sure wish there was a database of computerized shows! I'd love to see all of yours!

Dino - KX6D

[email protected]

I am in Irvine, by Irvine Spectrum where the 5 and 405 meet.

My display for 2010 was on a boat in the Newport boat parade, which unfortunatly got rained off. However planning as already started for this year.

I am Primarily using RGB pixel nodes using Lightshowpro and Madrix all being sent via ethernet through j1sys's DR4's to the DMX to pixel converters from AussiePhil. I also have 32 LOR channels to play with.

There is talk amongst a group of people about holding a So Cal mini in June timeframe, anyone interested in being part of this or have ideas for a presentation are more than welcome. The hot topic of this year will be RGB lighting and how best to add it to your display.

Neil

Planning a display in the LA area this year :)

With luck I'll have a display in Nor Cal AND So Cal this year :)

I am in Irvine, by Irvine Spectrum where the 5 and 405 meet.

My display for 2010 was on a boat in the Newport boat parade, which unfortunatly got rained off. However planning as already started for this year.

I am Primarily using RGB pixel nodes using Lightshowpro and Madrix all being sent via ethernet through j1sys's DR4's to the DMX to pixel converters from AussiePhil. I also have 32 LOR channels to play with.

There is talk amongst a group of people about holding a So Cal mini in June timeframe, anyone interested in being part of this or have ideas for a presentation are more than welcome. The hot topic of this year will be RGB lighting and how best to add it to your display.

Neil

Do you know whereabout in So Cal this mini will be? I would be interested in coming,

Planning a display in the LA area this year :)

With luck I'll have a display in Nor Cal AND So Cal this year :)

If you have a display in So Cal, I would love to go and see it. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks!

God willing I will have MANY you can see, but currently we've only have actual interest from one location.