Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mestalights

Do you detag your light strings?

Do you detag your light strings?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you detag your light strings?

• YES! I always remove all tags.
    • Sometimes, depends what they are on.
    • Never, isn't there a federal law against removing tags.

Just curious if most people here still detag their light strings. I never did until 2007 when all of the lights came with 5 to 7 tags, with warning is several different languages, on each string and have just continued the practice even though there are usually just 3 now.

Usually not. It's one of the few ways I can tell the difference between ES and SB sets.

If they're unusually large, or unusually noticeable in a particular instance, I will.

I always remove every tag. I've found that curved manicure scissors work the best...just stick one edge into the gap at the end and push. The curve of the blade prevents accidentally nicking the insulation.

I usually do because they tend to have multiplied (let's see, two on one end, one on the other, plus the small UL hologram tag which I usually leave since it isn't too noticeable - then there's sometimes the spare bulb/fuse bag taped to the string -that's up to 5 things to remove).

Galen

I always remove every tag. I've found that curved manicure scissors work the best...just stick one edge into the gap at the end and push. The curve of the blade prevents accidentally nicking the insulation.

That's a good idea. Thank you. I take off all tags. I usually use sidecutters but that sometimes results in a thumbnail follow-up.

That's a good idea. Thank you. I take off all tags. I usually use sidecutters but that sometimes results in a thumbnail follow-up.

I actually learned that from my wife. We were de-tagging and I was using a blade of some sort and being very careful to not ding the insulation. I look over and she had a pile of clean lights. WTF?

The scissors are great.

Nope, I don't remove any tags. That's what my kids are for! Now I just call them into the room and point at the new lights. They remove them from the box and plastic, cut off three tags (UL tag stays on), take off any tie wraps, break down the box and recycle it, and put the bag in the trash. Of course, they are still young enough (6&8) that they fight to make sure that the other doesn't get to do more than them. I'm sure that will change in a few years!

Are you crazy.... You could be thrown in jail for ripping the tags off lights :P I usually leave the tags on all mine, no need wasting the time to take them all off, plus it helps me to know what year the lights were purchased as usually there is a year date on the UL tag :)

I don't think I've driven by a house and thought "wow look at all those tags", and I'm pretty sure the average Joe leaves them on.

On the other hand, I'm guessing you folks that remove them notice them all the time.

-Tim

The tags drive me crazy! For the longest time I have thought that I was alone in this... My wife used to shake her head and roll her eyes, now it is one of her "duties".

I'm in the sometimes catergory because as light up looms, I often don't have time. But I do try to detag all my lights. Last year I did de-tag all the LEDs I had bought. Each string had 4 tags, one of the tags was about 2 x 2, shiny white vinyl, and it looked like a flag. It was ridiculous and of course, had to go.

Single edge razor blade on all 3300+ strings.....ok, am a little rushed this year and didn't detag around 40 strings.

Edited by Bill V

This is a practice I just started this year and I have already found that IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE in removing "ALL" tags.

Why?

Because I have a combination of incandescents and LED, and some strings have different voltage bulbs, those little tags I so cleanly cut off those strings contained the CORRECT VOLTAGE value for the bulbs in that string. So now I have to try and figure out what voltage bulb to replace a burned out bulb with. And the strange thing is I have seen some strings with the SAME EXACT BULB COUNT HAVE DIFFERENT VOLTAGE BULBS! I have a few decorations that are 2.5 volt bulbs in a 35 bulb string, but in another brand, same bulb count, the voltage is 4.8 volts! And what really puzzles the heck out of me, if I divide 35 lights into 120V ~AC~, I would think each bulb would be 3.5 volts, not 2.5 or 4.8 volts as the tag had said. So now I'm really confused on how the heck do these manufactures come up with these varying bulb voltages in their 35 light strings that are on some items like "Animated Deer", "Lighted Bows" and even yo8r basic incandescent light string. Especially when they all use those itty bitty small fuse or fuses in the male plug.

Anyone got any explainations for that??? Just know it has me baffled!

So from now on, I won't be cutting the tags off that give bulb voltages and othe related info. May be a big white tag, may be noticeable, but from now on I'm keeping that tag intact ON THE STRING or DECORATION! I had one heck of a time finding the right voltage bulbs for a couple of items that had bulbs blow out because of NO INFO and all these darn things are NOT the same.

So how do you folks keep up with the different decorations and bulb voltages on your light strings when you remove the tags and that info is no longer available, say a year or two later and you need a new bulb or have to buy new replacement bulbs???

This is a practice I just started this year and I have already found that IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE in removing "ALL" tags.

Why?

Because I have a combination of incandescents and LED, and some strings have different voltage bulbs, those little tags I so cleanly cut off those strings contained the CORRECT VOLTAGE value for the bulbs in that string. So now I have to try and figure out what voltage bulb to replace a burned out bulb with. And the strange thing is I have seen some strings with the SAME EXACT BULB COUNT HAVE DIFFERENT VOLTAGE BULBS! I have a few decorations that are 2.5 volt bulbs in a 35 bulb string, but in another brand, same bulb count, the voltage is 4.8 volts! And what really puzzles the heck out of me, if I divide 35 lights into 120V ~AC~, I would think each bulb would be 3.5 volts, not 2.5 or 4.8 volts as the tag had said. So now I'm really confused on how the heck do these manufactures come up with these varying bulb voltages in their 35 light strings that are on some items like "Animated Deer", "Lighted Bows" and even yo8r basic incandescent light string. Especially when they all use those itty bitty small fuse or fuses in the male plug.

Anyone got any explainations for that??? Just know it has me baffled!

So from now on, I won't be cutting the tags off that give bulb voltages and othe related info. May be a big white tag, may be noticeable, but from now on I'm keeping that tag intact ON THE STRING or DECORATION! I had one heck of a time finding the right voltage bulbs for a couple of items that had bulbs blow out because of NO INFO and all these darn things are NOT the same.

So how do you folks keep up with the different decorations and bulb voltages on your light strings when you remove the tags and that info is no longer available, say a year or two later and you need a new bulb or have to buy new replacement bulbs???

I leave my tags on, that's how ;)

.....SNIP....

I only use 100 (2.5v) count sets, I will cut them into 50 count sets if I need less. If it is a special item (Store bought snowflake, etc) I place the extra bulbs in a bag with the marked voltage and what they are for. That's how.

I only use 100 (2.5v) count sets, I will cut them into 50 count sets if I need less. If it is a special item (Store bought snowflake, etc) I place the extra bulbs in a bag with the marked voltage and what they are for. That's how.

Clever, who would have ever thought of that method.... :rolleyes: