2008 CDI Replacement LED Question

Yes, things sure were a lot easier with incan. If part of a strand went out, you could zap it back to life. lol

LOR was much easier deal with also. Fades etc. were better, no random noise keeping channels on, no resistors

to cut the current, etc.

The color cannot be beat on the LED's though and I kind of enjoy not having to scour all over looking for lights every year on Dec 26th.

Honestly, I don't know what it is like to NOT have experienced major issues all season long with LED's and the price difference and all of the hassles

I've experienced since switching to LED's makes me want to go back to incan. It would be different if there was some longevity in these things but,

the harsh reality is, the commercial ones that I have. cost me a fortune and have provided nothing but headaches and extra work.

Even the 100CT blues ones that I bought this year are randomly coming on and/or staying on even with 1W resistors on the ends of them.

Allow me to clarify my rant.

For 6 years I have used LEDs.

I started with 1/2 wave LEDS from Lowes. They were sealed socket 70ct C6.

They worked GREAT. Pure color. They ramped and faded and shimmered, and only 1 string has failed now in 6 years.

I bought some from Paul. They too, are great but are full wave, a little brighter, and I have to use some resistance to get them to fade without shimmering. Other than that, 2 strings have failed in 4 years.

Then the 2008LEDS.

Disaster.

Paul was great and took them back and replaced them all for 2009.

Disaster.

from what I can tell and hear, with the exception of those 2008s and their replacements, Pauls LEDs have been great.

What I will NEVER understand is why people insist that 1/2 wave LEDS are so bad etc etc.

If I could buy more of these 1/2 wave Holiday Creations LEDS that Lowe's used to sell, I would mortgage the house to get them.

The originals have already paid for themselves due to not having to increase my service, and I haven't had to replace ANY due to color fading.

Of the couple hundred strings I bought the first 2 years, and only 1 of THOSE has failed.I dream of finding them again.

First test of the setup/calculations looks good!

Basically I will have an Excel spreadsheet - so all you need to do is plug in your light set that you have, and go with the adjusted values.

Tonight, I am hoping to be able to go through a "fresh undismantled" set, and take photos documenting the process, and giving a step by step set of instructions on how to basically rebuild the set.

One thing to also note! This will also work for converting half wave strings to full wave, as the process is the same. I am also thinking that this should possibly work to repair "other" vendors strings (aka 2010 Green) sets.

One of the last things I am working on a simple way to do is something that can be used to replace the "blob" that is on the string. The thought is some sort of tubing or sorts from the home building warehouse that could be easily filled with silicone.

Edited by fkostyun

First draft of the spreadsheet - might need a bit more work, but, here it is!

As of right now - no photos, but, plug in the light type and bulb qty and it will spit out the needed resistors (need to still round up to the next value) but it does calculate the required wattage (with a fairly good safe margin) and has a repair drawing.

This does assume cutting the sets in half to create the middle voltage regulator.

Once the photos are done, it should make even more sense. I would love to get my hands on a couple of additional sets of LED's that are dead to try to run a repair on them to see how well it all works out. Right now I have a CDI 2008 100ct blue, CDI 2009 100ct blue 70ct blue replacent, and LHL 2010 70ct greens that I can test on.

http://www.ahwatukeeholidays.com/led/LED_Repair.xls

Edited by fkostyun

Thanks to everyone who is doing all the work trying to make these lights work. I have sent a couple strings to someone so they can work their magic on them.

I would be embarrassed if I sold these lights to people, and saw the trouble they were having trying to make them work. Its ashame!!

First draft of the spreadsheet - might need a bit more work, but, here it is!

As of right now - no photos, but, plug in the light type and bulb qty and it will spit out the needed resistors (need to still round up to the next value) but it does calculate the required wattage (with a fairly good safe margin) and has a repair drawing.

This does assume cutting the sets in half to create the middle voltage regulator.

Once the photos are done, it should make even more sense. I would love to get my hands on a couple of additional sets of LED's that are dead to try to run a repair on them to see how well it all works out. Right now I have a CDI 2008 100ct blue, CDI 2009 100ct blue 70ct blue replacent, and LHL 2010 70ct greens that I can test on.

http://www.ahwatukeeholidays.com/led/LED_Repair.xls

Perhaps I'm missing something but with D3 and D4 oriented like that, won't they block any current flow through the LED string?

Also, my failing strings all seem to be Mega tree strings. The short section of wire between bulb 50 and 51 goes over my hook. They are under slight tension, so whatever replacement method I use must withstand some pull.

Edited by JonB256
line tension

Perhaps I'm missing something but with D3 and D4 oriented like that, won't they block any current flow through the LED string?

Also, my failing strings all seem to be Mega tree strings. The short section of wire between bulb 50 and 51 goes over my hook. They are under slight tension, so whatever replacement method I use must withstand some pull.

If there must be cutting and soldering and such where your strings go over the hook head maybe you could use something to to relieve the stress on the string.

You could take a length of wire such as vinyl jacketed wire. Spiral it down the light string wire past several LEDs with a 'loop' between bulb 50 and 51 and hang this vinyl jacketed wire on the hook head.

I took advantage of Paul's offer to replace those strings in 08 for no charge. This is my 3rd year using the replacements. C6-50ct strings. Just had in the last week, 3 different blue strings fail half of each string. I called CDI on Firday to ask about replacment strings. The strings are out of warranty(which I knew that). I know CDI only sells by the case, but they said due to the situation they would allow me to buy individual replacement strings. So I will be placing an order on Monday for some indivivual replacment strings...........THAT IS TRUE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Guess where I am buying next year's lights??

We got the replacement strings last year. They can only have been used 2 years.

It's funny what some call "true customer service". You get bad lights from someone and they let you buy more from them to replace them. Yeah I can't think of any customer service that would allow that. ; )

I hear what your saying about the customer service. My were out of warranty 3 years old. However I did not talk directly to Paul, which I will do Monday before I buy. The results might be better.

Good luck. I was told "my lights may not meet your standards" when I talked to him about my (exchange lights) lights going dim the first year I had them.

LOL!!! Good one....

We got the replacement strings last year. They can only have been used 2 years.

It's funny what some call "true customer service". You get bad lights from someone and they let you buy more from them to replace them. Yeah I can't think of any customer service that would allow that. ; )

Waiting on replacements C6/50ct blues. Had another blue half string die last night. I did talk Paul down to 20% discount, however they should have been replaced for nothing. I am using some Phillips led 1/2 strings I bought befroe I started the LOR thing. So far these have not had any problems. The red and green strings from him are ok so far. Will be re-thinking my led useage for next year. May go different route. Not sure yet, it all depends on how things hold up.

Edited by rmturner54