Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ptaylor

Planning for 2011...LED's!

I am looking ahead to 2011, and I want to do my roof (griswold style).

I think LED's are the way to go for the roof for durability and longevity. I have not measured, but I am guessing my roof is 50-60 foot wide, by 40 foot long. I do have an interesting roofline that has a dormer in a section. I will post a decent picture within the next few days.

I would like to upgrade to LED's, but would probably have to do 2 or 3 colors per strand, so I am looking at purchasing alot of LED's.

Where is the best place to purcase by bulk at a year end sale?

I also like the LED's to cut to fit my roof needs so I don't have any extra haning over.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Phil

i was thinking...even if I space them apart by 12 inches, that would be 40+ strands at 50-60 foot in length each...times that by 3 or 4 colors so I am looking at 160 strands at 60 foot each...

fyi...I am new to LED's, so any info would be great.

Try Paul at Creative Dsplays Inc. I have made several purchases from him without any problems or any drama! Everything purchased has operated as stated and is amazing. Very good products with outstanding customer serivce and personal attention from Paul himself. CDI stands behind their products and has quality goods. Paul is a good person and will help you as much as he can. I'm just a very satisfied customer and want to spread the news. Paul, I take checks or money orders...LOL

FYI - Creative Displays also has a pre-order sale early in the year, followed by another one in July. At that time, their prices for LED are about as low as anyone else, but they are also sealed commercial grade. I expanded from under 4,000 LEDs to over 12,000. The early strands are junk in comparison to the new strands. For the new strands, quite a few came from the pre-season sale at http://www.holiday-light-express.com and the bulk of the remainder came from http://www.creativedisplays.com. Both are great. Watch for the sales and lowest prices starting in January.

Oh - I would suggest not mixing the same color from different vendors. They might not necessarily be the same. You will notice, but most others will not.

LaSalle, IL ?! I used to live in Batavia! We loved Starved Rock camping! Seeing someone from LaSalle just sort of reminds me of home I guess.

FYI - Creative Displays also has a pre-order sale early in the year, followed by another one in July. At that time, their prices for LED are about as low as anyone else, but they are also sealed commercial grade. I expanded from under 4,000 LEDs to over 12,000. The early strands are junk in comparison to the new strands. For the new strands, quite a few came from the pre-season sale at http://www.holiday-light-express.com and the bulk of the remainder came from http://www.creativedisplays.com. Both are great. Watch for the sales and lowest prices starting in January.

That had better be some sale. The current "sale" prices are still $10-20 per strand of lights (12 boxes of 100ct warm white from creative displays is $240, reg price $600). That doesn't seem to be any cheaper than they were a couple of years ago. Even at $5 per 100 I'd be looking at $1100 to replace all of my incandescent minis.

Actually I just moved to Dalzell...right outside of LaSalle.

Nice to see some locals on here!

Thanks for the suggestions for the lights!

Phil

As per teh above suggested sources I can agree. But your desire to "cut" the strings to make them fit with no overhang......I do not see that happening. I do not know af ANY manufacturer that makes an LED string "trim-able". Strings come if different lengths...using some forethought, you shoul;d be able to use your calculations to get close to what you need.

If you want cut to fit LEDs you may need to go with LED rope light. I bought LED rope light by the 100' roll and cut it to what ever length I wanted. (at least it was no longer than the next available cut line : )

As for where to buy your LED lights I would disagree with post # 3. My experience was no where near that. YMMV

My next LED purchase will likely be from http://www.environmentalled.com/ which is a member here (hotrod1965).

Hey y'all. I am not sure if y'all have seen my thread here http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/43923-LEDs-for-2011-Possible-early-sale! but we have already start a pre sale of sorts for 2011.... This will be our first year doing this so we will be in the same boat. That being said I have poured a lot of time into making sure we get the right product and tested it at great lenghts. You can visit the Pre Sale Survey here.. http://www.magicinthesky.com/lighting/pc.htm basically we are trying to fill and container and just seeing what people would order first before we buy from the factory... Also the prices are decent, but you will find that upgrading to LED will be at a decent cost to you... I may suggest that you pick a color and upgrade each year. Thats what I did at a public display that had some money to upgrade but not enough to do all at once. PM me if you have any questions about anything.

Ryan Gardner

That had better be some sale. The current "sale" prices are still $10-20 per strand of lights (12 boxes of 100ct warm white from creative displays is $240, reg price $600). That doesn't seem to be any cheaper than they were a couple of years ago. Even at $5 per 100 I'd be looking at $1100 to replace all of my incandescent minis.

Larry - the Chinese have made changes in production to improve the quality issues they had by using cheap disimilar matels. Now that they have gone to all copper, prices have gone up. Given the increased demand however these increased manufacturing costs did not pass onto the consumer in the form of a price increase, but instead they are cost neutral. Hopefully in time the prices may come down a little, but I do not expect much...

Greg

It might be useful for you when making your roof strings, to make superstrings. I used this method to make my front yard megatree, and we start by twisting together 2 strings say green and red, then twist on a blue, then a white string. We invented a great but simple aparatus which connects to your drill, which I have posted a coupe of years ago, but here's the short Youtube video I posted showing us making these braids of lights.:

The photos below shows what our superstrings look like, so you have 4 colors on one thick braid of strings. This way every year you only have to lay out maybe 40-50 strings instead of 160 strings!

megatree-2007_23.JPG

megatree-2007_21.JPG

megatree-2007_22.JPG

megatree-2007_14.JPG

megatree-2007_9.JPG

Edited by jeffostroff