Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Weisswelsh

Nutcracker and Sandstorm

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find two songs with ANY sequence that shows beats (I'm horrible at finding beats.) One is the Nutcracker (I think it's the part called Russian Dance.) The other is a very short version of Sandstorm by Darude .

The only versions of these songs I have all seem like they have been normalized, so they aren't powerful where they usually would be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Why do people insist on using Sandstorm? I'm positive in a family-friendly way that it's horrible for Christmas.

(In a less Christmassy manner I'm certain the song is lame in general.)

Edited by ChuckHutchings

Normalization probably is not the culprit, compression would be. And if you are transmitting, compression is your friend. Got to use the lights for impact.

Sent from my Droid X

Why do people insist on using Sandstorm? I'm positive in a family-friendly way that it's horrible for Christmas.

(In a less Christmassy manner I'm certain the song is lame in general.)

Why do I insist on using Sandstorm? Because it's my display and not yours. Who better to decide what's best for MY display than ME? That's all you need to know. A better question might be, "Why do people think their views are better or more 'right' than anyone elses view?" Or perhaps the question, "Why do some people insist on publicly criticizing someone else's choices, when they could be focusing on their own?"

It would be nice if you created YOUR OWN thread where you spew off your views about appropriate songs. However, this is NOT your thread and your comments have no bearing on the help I requested. So, if you're not going to offer some positive help, please don't waste my time.

Bob

Normalization probably is not the culprit, compression would be. And if you are transmitting, compression is your friend. Got to use the lights for impact.

Sent from my Droid X

Thanks Dave. I didn't think about that. Perhaps the "good audio" that I've heard on other display videos was due to them using a higher bit rate than what I'm using (128 kbps.) Could that be the problem too?

Bob

Why do I insist on using Sandstorm? Because it's my display and not yours. Who better to decide what's best for MY display than ME? That's all you need to know. A better question might be, "Why do people think their views are better or more 'right' than anyone elses view?" Or perhaps the question, "Why do some people insist on publicly criticizing someone else's choices, when they could be focusing on their own?"

It would be nice if you created YOUR OWN thread where you spew off your views about appropriate songs. However, this is NOT your thread and your comments have no bearing on the help I requested. So, if you're not going to offer some positive help, please don't waste my time.

Bob

Whatever. :P

I guess you don't want my TSO Nutrocker sequence.

Edited by ChuckHutchings

Bob

Uh, I simply stated an opinion. I personally don't care WHAT songs you have in your display.

Not sure what you're looking for here - sequences or audio files? It sounds like you want sequences, but "normalization" is an audio term.

I also don't think it was necessary to bite Chuck's head off. He was merely making a comment. It's rarely a good form for a new member to come in and trounce an established member (Chuck's post count is messed up and has thousands of posts and has been here for several years).

I am confused also... what are you looking for just the sequence to those pieces of music? Or the music too? Music sharing is slightly illegal and frowned upon here on PC...

I also want to agree with Tim... there was no reason to bite Chucks head off. He was stating an opinion that Sandstorm is NOT a very christmasy song. But then I have seen all kinds of stuff used in their Christmas displays! From AC/DC to Disco. Heck I even used Blue Man Group and U2 last year.

I will also back up Chuck creditials. His post count is easily 4 times mine! Some how it has been messed up lately, Last week he had 47 million posts... Chuck is one person that will give stuff away to help fellow PC members in need.

The "good audio" you hear on most of the sequence videos you see is probably dubbed in over top the original audio. It has NOTHING to do with the bit rate.. I use 128kbps on my sequences that is transmitted over my FM broadcast.. it is also the exact same mp3 and bitrate I dub into my videos...

Please define "Normalized". Are talking about compression? Most all commercial FM broadcasters use compression, that is why music sounds at the same level... I prefer my music being dynamic..but being a former concert/Jazz musician.. that is the way it is performed..that is the way it should be played.. and it is much easier to pick up the beats and tempos.

I guess you don't want my sequences I may have you are requesting either..

If you are looking for the music here are a few things. First, try getting the song from Amazon, it ranges from $.81 to $1.19 here is a link to Sandstorm. Second, download Audacity. Use Audacity to edit the song, change levels, shorten, etc.

Also, check out lorsequences.com for the sequence if you haven't already.

I agree with the others, Chuck was merely stating that he does not think the song was Christmasy.

Trouncing other members is not a way to stay "family friendly"

Edited by indytycoon

I've read 100's of Chucks thosands of posts and must say that even though he is sarcastic and "offers" his opinion he is quite helpful. I've learned to appreciate his wit and sarcasm and you probably will to.

As a newbie, beating up on one of our more respected though sometimes sarcastic members, is not a good way to start out. As stated above, there are several ways to get both the music and the sequence, though you may have lost a few.

All I can say is sheesh! When I see a song like Sandstorm by Darude I use it as an intro (or an outro) song for the rest of the show. I brought it into Audacity and used the last 2:14, which in my opinion is about right for an intro song. I created a new 32 channel light o rama sequence for it this year and it turned out great. I also used part of TSO's Moonlight and Madness, the first 1:57. People like upbeat stuff in a show as imho it makes for a spectacular arrangement.

woof woof!

As a newbie, beating up on one of our more respected though sometimes sarcastic members, is not a good way to start out. As stated above, there are several ways to get both the music and the sequence, though you may have lost a few.

I deliberately didn't respond to any of these messages for a bit because I thought it would be a good idea to pause, let some time pass, and then see if I feel I was out of line with the whole Chuck thing.

Well, I decided that I was a bit harsh and should have toned down my response to Chuck's criticism of my song choice. I agree with that. But make no mistake about it; Chuck was criticizing my song choice. He saw that I was asking for help concerning the SandStorm song, and then feels a need to make a negative comment on my thread concerning the use of that song. Had he started his own thread concerning the use of songs he deems inappropriate, then I would have had no problem with it. But he didn't. He chose my thread and my song choice. I didn't ask for any opinions about my song choice, so why leave a negative comment about it? He offered no help to my question and made no relevant comment to what was being asked. He just wanted to say something negative, and so he did. There was no other purpose for his message.

Some call it an "opinion" instead of a "criticism," as if that makes it OK. Sorry, that doesn't fly. If I asked for opinions on song choice, then sure, fire away. But, again, I did not. His comment was completely unnecessary.

Also, people keep referring to his "status" and length of time here, as if that gives him the right to criticize unprovoked. Likewise, they refer to me as a newbie, implying that I should just "take it" until I put in my time. And let's not forget the ever important post counts. Please!! That attitude is nothing more than a form of elitism. Seniority doesn't give you extra rights or allow someone to treat others badly. It's a poor justification for one's behavior.

The truth is that anyone reading this thread from the beginning can see that Chuck, without any relevance to the question posted, jumps into this thread to criticize my song choice (it was my thread after all.) But since Chuck is well known and respected, nobody makes note of his rudeness.

You can call me a newbie (though it's not relevant,) but for the last 22 months I've been on this board, I have watched people jump into completely unrelated threads to criticize someone's choice of songs. Is "Wizards In Winter" overused? Maybe yes and maybe no. Either way, if someone has decided to use that song in a show, there's no need to jump into his/her unrelated thread and criticize the song choice.

Was Chuck just being "sarcastic" in a humorous way, as some have suggested? I don't know. Perhaps he was. Still, why would I have any reason to know that he is a sarcastic person? I'm not psychic.

So, while I agree I was a bit harsh, all this talk about his "status" here is completely irrelevant to his actions. I take blame for reacting too harshly, but he is responsible for jumping into a thread simply to criticize. It matters not how respected he is. It's still rude.

Bob

I say put Sandstorm in your show. Put Wizards in too! Im sick of both of those songs, but they are the most popular in my show both on youtube and in front of my house. I do songs I like. Heck, this year I did all western soundtrack songs, which has nothing to do with Christmas. Of my 22 songs, only one is a Christmas song. I sequence music I like. If viewers dont like it, fine, but it makes me happy...............Mike

It's still rude.

OK now that you've vented, maybe we can move on...

BTW, I was being sarcastic also. I was just trying to tone it down a bit before it got out of hand.:rolleyes:

Did you ever find what you were looking for? If so, how the sequencing going?

OK now that you've vented, maybe we can move on...

BTW, I was being sarcastic also. I was just trying to tone it down a bit before it got out of hand.:rolleyes:

Did you ever find what you were looking for? If so, how the sequencing going?

Hi Ernie. Yes, I needed to vent. It felt good. :) And yes, I'm over it now. :-)

The sequencing hasn't been going well, but that's just because of time issues. If we have one more dinner party, I'm going to scream. :-)

I did purchase the SandStorm song, but I'm horrible at editing music, so someone said they are going to send me an edited version. I finished two other songs, but I must admit I stole a lot of the sequencing ideas from about 15 people, so there's not a whole lot of my own creativity in there. I'm still trying to find a version of the Nutcracker (Russian dance) that I like before purchasing it. Some are too fast, some lack the oomph where it's supposed to feel powerful, and others just don't feel right. There are so many versions of the song that it's a bit overwhelming. I'm going to try to find a video of a display that has a version I like and find out who conducted it.

Anyway............ so far so good. Thanks for asking.

Bob

Hi Ernie. Yes, I needed to vent. It felt good. :) And yes, I'm over it now. :-)

The sequencing hasn't been going well, but that's just because of time issues. If we have one more dinner party, I'm going to scream. :-)

I did purchase the SandStorm song, but I'm horrible at editing music, so someone said they are going to send me an edited version. I finished two other songs, but I must admit I stole a lot of the sequencing ideas from about 15 people, so there's not a whole lot of my own creativity in there. I'm still trying to find a version of the Nutcracker (Russian dance) that I like before purchasing it. Some are too fast, some lack the oomph where it's supposed to feel powerful, and others just don't feel right. There are so many versions of the song that it's a bit overwhelming. I'm going to try to find a video of a display that has a version I like and find out who conducted it.

Anyway............ so far so good. Thanks for asking.

Bob

If you are looking for Mad Russian I have a TSO version It's only 16 channel as it was one of my original songs I used.

You can spend a lot of time editing a song and getting the timing right. I think it's harder then sequencing; your ears are much more sensitive then your eyes.

BTW, there are sound programs that you can slow down or speed up the tempo without changing the pitch. You can also change the key without changing the tempo. I found one that you could specify the beats per minute. These are also useful if you want to mix parts of multiple songs.

I've used parts of other peoples sequences before but I found that I spent close to the same time fixing it to my liking as it would take to write it from scratch using their's as an example.

This all can become quite frustrating at times but it's quite rewarding in the end. It's also interesting how the vast amount of time this stuff takes, gets compressed and doesn't seem to be that bad when you're done.

MixMeister can speed up and/or slow down songs as necessary without changing the pitch of a song to merge them together. Vegas also does a good job in mixing songs together, provided they are the same tempo or if you are editing the same song...