Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Tim Benson

second day, failed LED string !

Well, Just had 1/3 of a string of Green LED's from LED Holiday Lighting fail... Hope This isn't a trend !

Time to start the exchange process.. Crossing fingers..

Tim

Well, Just had 1/3 of a string of Green LED's from LED Holiday Lighting fail... Hope This isn't a trend !

Time to start the exchange process.. Crossing fingers..

Tim

Hope this is not a trend, night 3 and had half a string of green from the same place fail. Replacements are I guess out of the question from them since they never sent me everything that I ordered and had to start the dispute process.

Well ours has been up for three days, now have (12) sets of C-6 part of them half out, the other not working at all, checked fuses and all fuses good. Left message for you know who and no response. I guess I will order from another vender and hope for the best..... Sucks that five sets are on my mega-tree......

Unfortunately I have had the same problem with a few strands here and there. One strand actually allowed for some current to flow thru and that particular strand was completely dead but the rest of the tree was just very very dimly lit. Not quite sure what the problem was but hopefully I'm out of the woods now that everything is set up and ready to go and going. Best of luck to you all

I also have 3-4 strings of green that are flickering after a week's worth of use. Have to get some snubbers on there and see if that cures the problem. What I've found is that, if I jiggle the plug they go on and off, something is up with the plugs. I think I might try to cut the existing plugs off the bad one and put some new plugs on. I have 180 strings total on my megatree (60 each of red, green & white). They all worked out of the bag...

Most people know that every now and then I get on my "Holiday Creations" (H/C) LED soapbox...and I'm going to do it again. This will be my 5th year using them and out of 1200 to 1300 strings, I have only lost 3. I always get a little nervous when purchasing LED lights without seeing them first, but that's hard to do with a pre-buy. I have seen H/C lights and anyone else can too at various stores - and they quality stays the same year after year...

There are vendors here who do stand behind their product; however, sometimes the easier travelled road cost another $1.50 per strand...

Another night and more failed green leds from Led Holiday lights. As for the ones that I got from CDI, they are all doing great.

B_Regal78, how well do those lights from HC perform with LOR? I am out of extra strings replacing the failed ones and need to get more ASAP somewhere if I want to keep lights lit.

Another night and more failed green leds from Led Holiday lights. As for the ones that I got from CDI, they are all doing great.

B_Regal78, how well do those lights from HC perform with LOR? I am out of extra strings replacing the failed ones and need to get more ASAP somewhere if I want to keep lights lit.

They fade just fine. They have the typical problems that most (if not all) LEDs have such as a different fading curve, where approximately 40% intensity is half on and 80% intensity is full on. They may also do the flicker thing below 8% intensity due to capacitance. Do not confuse my use of the word flicker with the differences some see between half wave and full wave. They are the sealed one peice construction, in both half and full wave versions. The bulbs are not replaceable, which is OK by me since when do you ever have to replace an LED? I've dropped them, gentlely placed them on the ground from the roof, dragged them across the driveway, and they still continue on. If you go to their website, you can see a list of vendors who carry them, with some of the vendors having physical stores with parking lots, a building, and a cashier. I think Brian (Hotrod1965) also carries them...

I don't want to suggest that this is the one and only brand with this kind of durability as there are plenty of vendors selling LED lights, just that H/C lights are higher in quality than what I would call average - certainly better than anything you can get in HD or Lowes...

So far out of 140 strands i have 1/2 strand of red that has failed.I just added another 50 count as it was on a mini tree.I also will not be ordering from Travis next year.If he would have answered and tried to resolve issues with people i would have ordered from him again.Its not worth the high risk.

The Trend Has Continued. There are now 7 failed strings out of 24 purchased. I have every reason to believe they all will fail.

I feel horrible because they are on my neighbor's house and he bought them based on my recommendation.

Now I have to buy replacements at full price for my neighbor.. and then try to get a refund or exchange from the company who's name I will not mention.

Dadgummit!!! Now yall got me nervous. I ordered and received lights from Travis to replace crappy lights I got from another vendor.

NOW yall are saying you are having quite a few failures with LED Holiday Lighting's lights. Man, I have my fingers crossed ours work just fine. If not this will be the 3rd year in a row for major LED light failures!!!

I am not seeing any failures so far. This is our 3rd day to be up and running.

All our strings are 100ct M5 in red, green, blue, and warm white.

I posted this in another thread but my problem (so far) is not with the stringers, it's with the c9 LED retros! 245 bulbs, 10 DOA and now a total of 17 more failed within the first week. hope, hope, hope these replacements show up quick!

Ok, So these failing LED's have me looking for replacements.

So I have a few choices of vendors. I don't want to get the same defective lights from somewhere else.

Looking at the tags on the green strings I bought from Travis , I see "E305455 Model TSD-25-4"

Now I also bought Lights from Creative Displays . The Blue Strings from Paul have "E305455 Model TSD-25-4"

And a string of blue from Environmental LED has "E305455 Model TSD-35-2" These actually cam in Diogen packaging.

So to me it appears that they all are from the same manufacturer(or are clones right down to the model number scheme)

I have a feeling the problem may be specific to the green LED's so purchasing more somewhere else may not have different results.

Any reports of green LED failure from CDI or Action Lighting , or Environmental LED ?

Tim

Any reports of green LED failure from CDI or Action Lighting , or Environmental LED ?

Tim

I have had 2 strings of blue from Environmental LED fail (1/3 of string) but the others work fine. The ones I got from CDI all work fine.

I have one string of lights purchased this year with a tag left on... It is a FW 70ct c6 green on white wire and the model # is E305455 Model TSD-35-2. I have these same lights in 50 and 100 ct and they are all shining bright and working fine.These lights have the single "blob" at the start, one in the middle and one at the end. The 100ct have 4 "blobs"

I have lost 3 half-sets of FW 70ct 5mm red on green wire this year. These lights have the single "blob" at the start, one in the middle and one at the end.

I also lost one half-set of 3 year old HW 50ct m5 green. These were the first Holiday Creations lights I have ever had fail.

Last year I lost over 13 sets of FW 70ct 5mm orange and 5 sets of FW 70ct 5mm blue. These lights had the two "blobs" at the start of the string and one "blob' at the end.

I think the actual manufacturer matters more than the vendor you get the led lights from. If you really want the lowest failure rate possible Holiday Creations brand is the way to go...but it will cost ya.

Edited by ChrisCringle

I had a 1/2 string of green C-6s fail early last night and an hour later the other 1/2 failed and then a whole string and another 1/2 string failed. All green C-6s. Ugggghhhh!

I had three strings of green 100 light M5s fail last night (half of each string went out). These strings were also purchased this year from LEDHolidaylighting. I ordered replacements from Paul at CDI this morning.

I have had a 100 count multi fail, but only half of it, and same with a string of white. Looks like the old bait and switch. Get customers back and switch product with different brand.

I have one string of lights purchased this year with a tag left on... It is a FW 70ct c6 green on white wire and the model # is E305455 Model TSD-35-2. I have these same lights in 50 and 100 ct and they are all shining bright and working fine.These lights have the single "blob" at the start, one in the middle and one at the end. The 100ct have 4 "blobs"

The E305455 is actually the UL Code. The "Blobs" are the rectifier bridge for the lights. These "blobs" are usually 2 diodes and a resistor. On most full wave sets like you are describing you will have 2 blobs on a 50 count red, and 3 on other colors splitting the string into 2 sets of "25". On 70 ct or100ct strings you will see the them as sets of "33,34, or 35". This is determined by the forward voltage of the LEDS

I have lost 3 half-sets of FW 70ct 5mm red on green wire this year. These lights have the single "blob" at the start, one in the middle and one at the end.

Same above splliting up the lights in sets of 35.

I also lost one half-set of 3 year old HW 50ct m5 green. These were the first Holiday Creations lights I have ever had fail.

I have sets that are in their 3rd year also, keep reading below about manufactuers/vendors.

Last year I lost over 13 sets of FW 70ct 5mm orange and 5 sets of FW 70ct 5mm blue. These lights had the two "blobs" at the start of the string and one "blob' at the end.

I think I know who manufactuers those, but would have to see an image of the ends. There is another "blob" but may be concealed as simular to a bulb base.

I think the actual manufacturer matters more than the vendor you get the led lights from. If you really want the lowest failure rate possible Holiday Creations brand is the way to go...but it will cost ya.

Just remember these are electronic parts, and they do go bad. Light Emitting Diodes are a DC semiconductor we are running with AC current. Over all they are extermly reliable. Most of these lights are coming from minimal actual manufactuers in China.(yes Diogen/holiday creations is purchasing from the same sources as others if you followed this thread and took note of the UL codes mentioned before.)

I am working on a way to do some simple testing and find where the failure occured in the LED strings, then how to fix them easily. This will be helpful when these strings pass their warranty. I have about 12 strings ( from this same manufactuer) myself over the past 3 years. I have been able to fix a few of them just by sheer luck of isolating the issue quickly, finding that the problem was in the solder joint in the bulb base. The only way to repair is to carefully "nip" away at the plastic until you can peal it all off, reflow the joint, then encase it back in epoxy( a MCDonalds soda straw and masking tape works best) . The issue is find to which LED is having the issue, and if its not the LEDS which rectfier bridge is bad. More to come when I have the method down to an art.

So I guess the real question is... Are we creating these failures by using these LED's in animated displays ? I'm sure the

diodes/rectifiers in them are the bare minimum required, 400 volt parts instead of 600 volt parts, 1/4 watt resistors instead

of 1/2 watt. My decision to purchase the 'Commercial LED's" was based on comments that they would work with animation.

Perhaps they just aren't there yet... although, I have 2 houses covered with Blue M5's, and not a single failure yet.

My experience with the C9 retro's was just the opposite.. Excellent performance and only 1 failed bulb out of over 500

Just for comparison's sake, we have nearly 4,000 strands up, and typically lose about 1 strand every three days. They are almost always half strands (from the middle wart either to the plug or socket end). These are all CDI replacement strands. I consider this actually pretty good reliability considering how they're strung and under a certain amount of mechanical stress at all times.

Dadgummit!!! Now yall got me nervous. I ordered and received lights from Travis to replace crappy lights I got from another vendor.

NOW yall are saying you are having quite a few failures with LED Holiday Lighting's lights. Man, I have my fingers crossed ours work just fine. If not this will be the 3rd year in a row for major LED light failures!!!

I am not seeing any failures so far. This is our 3rd day to be up and running.

All our strings are 100ct M5 in red, green, blue, and warm white.

Now we are on day 5 of our display. Out of 17 (in operation) 100ct m5 green strings from LED Holiday Lighting we have lost 4 strings. Two are on our inside tree and 2 were wrapped on mini trees outside.

Here we go again. : (

So far the 5 strings that failed 2 50 count M5 Green , and 3 100 count M5 Green are all that have failed so far.

No failures since Sunday. So perhaps, all the defective strings have been weeded out.

I have a case of 100 count M6 Green coming Today from CDI, just in case I need to replace any more. I also bought

a couple sample strings from Action Lighting to test them out. Action says their stringers do not support dimming, but

if they are full wave, I can't see why they wouldn't.

I've now lost two of the 24 70ct strings that I've purchased - both are the first half of the lights.