Anyone using the LOR show director??

I am considering spending the $250 for the LOR show director so I can get rid of the laptop for running my show. If any of you any experience with these, what are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance for your help.

Open your Hardware Utility and click on the LOR MP3 tab. There you will see the options for creating and scheduling your show. While the LOR MP3 is a solid product, it simply can't do everything that a regular computer can do. Reviewing the LOR MP3 tab now will give you some idea of what it can do from a scheduling standpoint.

I have been using the show director for 3 years now and have no issues with it. Find it convenient and easy to work with. I make multiple shows on different SD cards. Depending on my mood, depends which card gets inserted into the player.

Senior, that is a great idea. Do you need to do anything with player or is it kind of like set it and forget it? With the laptop, I have to go out everynight a few minutes before the show and reboot the computer. It is kind of a pain especially if Im coming home late from work.

RT

It is plug it in and forget it. Once set up, I have never had the director fail to turn on or turn off a show at a scheduled time. All the information is contained on the SD card for the show. (Scheduled to play at certain times) The additional cards I have sequences on are scheduled to play when power is applied. So....if a need comes along to show someone a specific sequence or a diff show...all I have to do is pop out the SD card in the show...pop in the New SD card and it is off and running.

I switched over to a mp3 director in 2008. Mainly because the location did not really have a place for a laptop. I like how you can program multiple cards and just pop them in. Also you don't have to take down your show while you tweak something. You just program another card and when you have it that way you want, load it on the card and swap it with the one already in the mp3 director.

Another big plus to the mp3 director is you can have triggers that will play certain shows. For example I made a "Security Sequence" that just turns on all the whites in the entire display when the show is not running. I hooked up motion sensors in the display so if they were triggered, it would turn on all the lights in the display. That way if somebody was sneaky around in the display, it would turn on and send them running.

IFor example I made a "Security Sequence" that just turns on all the whites in the entire display when the show is not running. I hooked up motion sensors in the display so if they were triggered, it would turn on all the lights in the display. That way if somebody was sneaky around in the display, it would turn on and send them running.
Curious how you attached the motion detectors to trigger the LOR controller to activate the show. Thanks

Another big plus to the mp3 director is you can have triggers that will play certain shows. For example I made a "Security Sequence" that just turns on all the whites in the entire display when the show is not running. I hooked up motion sensors in the display so if they were triggered, it would turn on all the lights in the display. That way if somebody was sneaky around in the display, it would turn on and send them running.

Richard, that's an excellent idea. This would help where night vision cameras need some light for a good recording. I'm going to have to check that out.

You could have a police siren or something in the audio part sound off too. Maybe gun fire from a shotgun or machine gun. LOL hummmmm...........

Thanks for the idea.

You can have multiple shows on an SD card, depending on your definition of a show. For example, I run a static sequence that changes color every minute or so from 5pm to 7 pm. From 7pm to 10pm, I run an animated show. From 10 to 11, it back to the static show. If doing this using a computer, I would have to make two shows, one static and one animated, with the static show running twice a night. This can be duplicated using the MP3 director. Some might call this one show on the card, but it's not. It even supports a "startup" sequence, in case you have to blow up an inflatable or you want to run something only once at the beginning, whatever it is. What the MP3 director does not allow is a background sequence. I use a background sequence to keep my sign lit in between songs (it never goes out) and to keep my one and only inflatable inflated (ugh). That's really the big item missing in the director. You might be able to live with the sign built into a sequence (where it would go on and off as each sequence is played) and put an external timer on the inflatable (and the sign for that matter - or anything else that needs constant power), I just chose not to do that.

Other than that, the director is great...

Edited by B_Regal78

You can have multiple shows on an SD card, depending on your definition of a show. For example, I run a static sequence that changes color every minute or so from 5pm to 7 pm. From 7pm to 10pm, I run an animated show. From 10 to 11, it back to the static show. If doing this using a computer, I would have to make two shows, one static and one animated, with the static show running twice a night. This can be duplicated using the MP3 director. Some might call this one show on the card, but it's not. It even supports a "startup" sequence, in case you have to blow up an inflatable or you want to run something only once at the beginning, whatever it is. What the MP3 director does not allow is a background sequence. I use a background sequence to keep my sign lit in between songs (it never goes out) and to keep my one and only inflatable inflated (ugh). That's really the big item missing in the director. You might be able to live with the sign built into a sequence (where it would go on and off as each sequence is played) and put an external timer on the inflatable (and the sign for that matter - or anything else that needs constant power), I just chose not to do that.

Other than that, the director is great...

I use the DC-MP3 in a very simular manor as Ed. But as noted it won't turn on background items, so I just use a timer to turn on and off my radio station sign and FM transmitter 15 minutes prior to the main show and 15 minutes after the show ends...

Just remember as others have said...

platinum_ronco_rot3_01.jpg

I use the DC-MP3 in a very simular manor as Ed. But as noted it won't turn on background items, so I just use a timer to turn on and off my radio station sign and FM transmitter 15 minutes prior to the main show and 15 minutes after the show ends...

Just remember as others have said...

platinum_ronco_rot3_01.jpg

So, you added no additional information. Padding a post count, are we?

Curious how you attached the motion detectors to trigger the LOR controller to activate the show. Thanks

I used all x10 stuff. Wireless x10 Motion Detecors where picked up by the x10 receiver. I then bought an x10 relay module that was hooked up to one of the 6 triggers on the mp3 director where it it was programmed to play a "show" when it was triggered.

The wireless sensor

http://www.smarthome.com/4087/EagleEye-Wireless-Motion-Sensor-Black-MS14A/p.aspx

The receiver

http://www.smarthome.com/4002/X10-Plug-in-RF-Base-TM751/p.aspx

The relay device

http://www.thex10shop.com/product/0/product_713326.html

You can find all these on ebay for cheap.

-Richard

Well, I just found the answer to my last question at the LOR website. However, now I have one more question. They mention that you plug it into the nearest controller and that is what powers it. What are you plugging in and where to. Is there a power cord and a cat-5 cable? Thanks again for helping me out.

Mine is not a separate stand-alone unit - it's a Showtime Director. It is designed to fit within the Showtime controller. The director's RJ45 jack is connected to one of the controller's RJ45 jack via a small LAN cable. I'm under the impression that the external MP3 director connects to a controller in the same manner, but I have never actually seen one in use.

One other small difference between the PC run show and the director is that any single sequence must be under 10 minutes in length. While most people would not normally be affected by this, it did get me once...

I keep mine inside the house and have a cat 5 running to the nearest controller. Simply insert the card and you are off to the races.

The only disadvantage to the system is that if you revise a sequence (something you can not do when you are using a computer to drive your show while the show is running), you have to reload the memory card (this takes a couple of minutes).

I have my Show Director mounted in the garage and have it plugged into it's own power source with the plug that came with it. Then I have a 50ft length of CAT5 running out to my controller #1. Works great and as others have said, you can set up multiple shows on different SD cards. Then you just plug the one you want in for that night. Very good piece of equipment for any LOR user. The PC does allow more control, but if all you want is something to run the show at your scheduled time, this is that item.

I have my Show Director mounted in the garage and have it plugged into it's own power source with the plug that came with it. Then I have a 50ft length of CAT5 running out to my controller #1. Works great and as others have said, you can set up multiple shows on different SD cards. Then you just plug the one you want in for that night. Very good piece of equipment for any LOR user. The PC does allow more control, but if all you want is something to run the show at your scheduled time, this is that item.
After reading this thread, I like the idea of using the show director and use my computer for other things when the show is running.......My question is...currently I have a light linkers hooked to my computer, could I hook the light linker to the show director the same way i now have it hooked to my computer or does it have to be hard wired with Cat 5 cable? ALSO where does my FM transmitter go?

Ok, so does the cat5 cable supply the power, or is there a seperate power cord? Also, will these work with the PC LOR controllers, or do I have to have one of the showtime model controllers?

It uses a 12volt DC for power when you use it separately of the controller.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about this. I wanted to add a 2nd show to my SD card. It says "card can hold multiple shows..." I am able to build a new show and give it a new name (number) but i can't figure out how to set which show i want played. Up until now i've only had 1 show, so it played show #1. But now i have 2 shows and i want it to play show #2. How?