Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Michelle Kraklow

Neighbor turning his sprinklers on me...

I live in a neighborhood where all the house are fairly close together, almost on top of each other. One one side of me I have great neighbors that love all the lights and even let me spill into their yard. And then there is the other side of me..the guys who has nothing nice to say at all about my lights but I always just smile and walk away. So here is the problem...he runs his sprinklers every morning, which I could care less, and it always over spills in to my yard and leaving puddles where I have made my pond of lights and all the bushes are done on that side. I have all my cords up off the ground, all the female ends facing down, but tonight when I went to plug in the lights, my GFCI tripped. I knew right away where the moister would be since it was 80 here today and I have turned my sprinklers off. While I was outside trying to dry off the all the ends and shaking water out of the ends..he walks out of his house, see me there..and then turns on his sprinklers again getting me all wet! He is such a JERK!! I didn't say anything to him since he does have the right to water his property, but now I have no idea what I am going to do about this problem. Should I try to tape all the ends, or put the bags on?

Place a flood light facing into his house & shine bright ALL Night LONG!!!

i like this, i also like an accidental over fertilizing your yard that spills in to his...ooops...

you could also figure out the best way to take the water out if hes going to be a clown about it....

cant you change the direction his sprinklers shoot?

I have tried to change the direction of his sprinklers as best I could, without him knowing of course, but he has like 6 that go 180 and they all face my side of the yard and flower beds. They spray everywhere in my beds and pouch even. He waters way too much, to the point where his grass is yellow. LOL I like the fertilizing idea tho :)

This would be an eye sore during the day but at night no one would notice. Go to home depot for about 28 or so dollars and buy some stakes with black plastic, its for errosion that construction crews use. Install it as close to your property line with out be on his. So when his sprinklers come on it just hits the plastic and keeps it out of your yard. Plus will probably annoy him from the sound it makes. LOL

I would say something to him. He could be one of those oblivious people that don't realize what an ahole they are being or he could be doing it on purpose. Give him the benefit of the doubt and first speak with him. He does have the right to water his property but he doesn't have the right to water your property or you.

If he's being a jerk I would mention that you are going to seek some kind of legal action. Tell him you have expensive electrical equipment that his water is pooling in and he will be responsible for should it tear up and you be forced to take him to court. Maybe that will change his tune.

I would say something to him. He could be one of those oblivious people that don't realize what an ahole they are being or he could be doing it on purpose. Give him the benefit of the doubt and first speak with him. He does have the right to water his property but he doesn't have the right to water your property or you.

If he's being a jerk I would mention that you are going to seek some kind of legal action. Tell him you have expensive electrical equipment that his water is pooling in and he will be responsible for should it tear up and you be forced to take him to court. Maybe that will change his tune.

Before you go to court, call city hall. Make a complaint that he is allowing water runoff from his property to damage your property. There is a state law that does not allow for his storm water to run on your property. The city will come and talk to him, as most departments want to verify the claim. That should scare him after he has a taking to by a city representative.

But before you go to that level go talk to him and let him know he is causing property damage, he could be oblivious like Jen states, we do have a few crazy people here in California

I would put up some black plastic like a wall then after christmas install a 6 ft wooden fence then you want even see him.or you could get a big water gun like the super soaker and write MERRY CHRISTMAS on his grass with round up.keep us posted on what you do.

After work today I am going to speak to him about it. I am thinking of taking the "joking around approach". Like, "Hey thanks for the shower last night...I didn't realize how bad I stunk." Then I am hoping I can get a feel if he was doing this on purpose or not. Keeping my fingers crossed that we can work something out today. He can be a hard one to work with on things.

From everything I've learned over the years, ramping-up a situation leads to nothing but trouble. Since you've already admitted to "adjusting" his sprinklers, you may have noticed what type of sprinklers they are. With that info, go to the local garden shop that sells sprinklers and purchase a sprinkler screen that attaches to the sprinkler to direct the pattern away from you yard. Then deliver it to him with a smile and politely ask if he would mind using it during the season so your family can enjoy your display with tripping the GCFI devices that he apparently is unaware of.

A friendly gesture begets the same.

Just a thought.

Put up a "No fishing" sign in the pond. Then change out the lights into spot light all the way around and place a fountain in the middle - a WATER FEATURE! Then ask him to keep overwatering - you need to keep that pond full. Perhaps you can switch those over to a low voltage system in that area so it would not be so bad, as much fun as it would be for him to step on his lawn and be shocked because he allows his water to flow into your property.

I would not try to talk to him without wearing a rain coat. Perhaps you need to have a hose nearby and have a water fight and just get it over with!

But seriously, take pictures. Document everything, dates, times, events, etc. That way if he does more than fill your pond, you have the specifics to go to court and recoop your damages. I suspect placing a barricade would not suffice as it sounds as if his lawn is draining through yours. You would have to place a swale in there to shed the excess water before you place a barricade against the water (such as 8' tall air blown snowmen...) But be wary, I suspect he'll try to damage this barricade. A video camera pointed that direction might be in order as well.

Edited by RGSRRofNC
Spelling...

I like your joke idea as a way to break the ice. Neighbor relations can be a challenge. For the first two years we lived in our house, I would catch my neighbor dumping his grass clippings into our yard. It was a rather wild area of our 2 acres, but it still made me mad and feel vandalized. I went over one day and asked if he could please stop dumping his grass clippings in our yard and learned it was an honest mistake. He had lived there for 15 years with the lot vacant and undeveloped and just did that out of habit. He apologized over and over for the mistake.

I would hope you and your neighbor can reach a compromise. You should not have to change the way you chose to celebrate the season. If not, I would think a small deflecting screen or wall could prevent the over spill. Could it be possible that he does not know how to adjust the sprinkler? Mine have a key to adjust the distance and degree, and usually a small twist to the base will adjust the stop/start.

Good luck and please post what happens. A live video feed would be great! j/k

So tonight was the first time that I have seen my neighbor since the other night with the whole sprinkler thing. I heard his voice outside with his wife as I was coming out of my house so I thought this would be a good time. Boy I was wrong!! He was yelling at her since she had changed one of the extension cords outside for their Christmas lights from a outdoor cord to a indoor cord. When she sees me, she says to him "Look Kraklow uses them outside and everything is fine. Right Kraklow?" Yes, the call me by my last name. He then tells me that if his wifes uses the indoor cord outside that and the house burns down that I will be responsible for their damages! I then stepped in a told him that I have more then enough outdoor cords left sitting in the garage and they are more then welcome to use anything they like. He looked at me and walked away. So, at this point I am not even going to say anything to him just yet. My husband is gone right now away for the USMC and I just don't want to rock the boat with this loose cannon that lives next to me. So I went out and bought some dielectric..I saw someone has tried that in another thread here on PC, and I am going to give that a try. Thanks everyone for the support.

Here in Kansas we are still running sprinkler system. I bought the kids pencil boxes on clearance at Walmart for $.10 each. Cut holes in the ends to put the cords through and snap the lid shut. Works great.

Here in Kansas we are still running sprinkler system. I bought the kids pencil boxes on clearance at Walmart for $.10 each. Cut holes in the ends to put the cords through and snap the lid shut. Works great.

Wow...I didn't even think about that one. And that would be a lot cheaper then buying the glad ware. Thanks for the idea. I will be looking for those next year when the school supplies come out again.

when he stated you would be to blame for his house burning down I would have had to say "Alright, and I will send you the bill for my Christmas lights that are fading because you water them every night" and walked away.

I would also say judging by the way they talked to you, they are jealous of your display rather than just outright hating it. Nonetheless, a sticky situation.

I am so sorry for you having to go through this. That is crazy! Next year...I am taking my display to the other side of my yard. I am concerned because the neighbors sprinklers will get my display wet. So I use a PVC fence and I am going to put clear plastic on the other side (because I put lights on the pvc fence) to help with the water. Just a thought.

I hope that you can do something legal as well. It sucks that some people do not like the wonderful things we do for the community.

build a water tight box for your connections label it with high voltage signs... the really ugly ones facing his property and fill area's of your yard with more dirt so the water drains back into his yard. you can dig simple hole and fill it with drain rock, or just move intrest rates are low. and there are alot of homes for sale everywhere my wife and I did that this summer. and the house is bigger/ monthly payment is less.

You know what they say about karma right? Well, today the neighbor came over to ask me to help her fix her sprinklers that she had run over while they were on. She snapped the heads off of three of them and doesn't want her husband to find out about it. He is gone until Friday. I tried to help, but I will not go and dig up his yard and replace them since I know that he will blame me for something, And she totally understood where I was coming from. So until he gets home, the sprinklers are off.

Michelle, I was enjoying reading the adventures between you and your neighbors, until I read that your husband, a hero to us all, is away protecting all of us including your neighbor. I would love to make a couple of contacts I have with the Patriot Guard and have a bunch of us come by to see your display. If we can do this please send me your address to [email protected].

Thank you for your husbands service and also yours,

Rick Creed

Michelle, I was enjoying reading the adventures between you and your neighbors, until I read that your husband, a hero to us all, is away protecting all of us including your neighbor. I would love to make a couple of contacts I have with the Patriot Guard and have a bunch of us come by to see your display. If we can do this please send me your address to [email protected].

Thank you for your husbands service and also yours,

Rick Creed

Would love to have you all come out! I will send you the info.