Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Big D

LED's and incandescent lights in same display. Doesn't work for me.

As of now, I am 100% LED’s which has been very expensive! I was going to add some mini trees to my display using multi incandescent lights, but they look horrible sitting on top of my green and red LED yard grid.

Is anyone else having the same problem having LED and incandescent in the same display? I was told that the clear/white incandescent is pretty close to warm white LEDS. I guess I will buy a box this weekend to check it out. This might be a good way to save some money in my display.

I can't decide to add in some incandescent lights which would allow me add a great amount of lights to my display for cheap or just take my time and add LEDs as I can.

Thoughts?

Most of my display is still incandescent, but I do have sections that are LED. It actually looks rather nice with the contrast. As long as you keep similar elements the same, I think the contrast would work. Though the LEDs would probably overpower the incandescent.

Will Sanders

It actually looks rather nice with the contrast. As long as you keep similar elements the same, I think the contrast would work.

Good idea. I didn't think of this. Thanks Will!

Is anyone else having the same problem having LED and incandescent in the same display?

I think this is a very generic question. For instance, if you can tell me in my display (see vids in link below) what is LED and what is not, I would probably offer to buy you a string of your favorite LED light. I routinely have people ask me "so, how many of your lights are LED?" and I'm not just talking local passer-byer's, I'm talking folks from PC, etc... that are supposed to be smart in the Christmas light field!

I personally think it depends on the color we're talking about. For instance, I run mostly red, green, and white. Been doing it for years. In those three colors, I find it very hard to tell a difference between LED and incandescent. But even that statement is a tricky one. For instance, my Merry Christmas sign is made using incandescent rope light, and the green of the incandescent rope light doesn't match the green of standard incandescent minis from Walmart, Lowes, etc. If you looked at my vids, you might think "hey, is that LED rope light?" and its not... its just a poor color match to the other incandescent lights.

Now, multicolor is one example of a "no hope in matching LED to incandescent". The colors in the multicolor LED are so much more vibrant... the incandescents simply don't compare. The blue in the multicolor is one that will stand out immensely. Other colors that simply don't compare between LED and incandescent are purple, yellow, and pink. I re-did my bulb ornament wire frames this year using "fun" colors (purples, blues, yellows, etc). They are immensely more vibrant than when they had incandescent minis on them. People have been incredibly wow'd by them... they almost look like neon signs in a restaurant.

That is my $0.05

Oh, and the warm white bulbs that I have in my display are a dead ringer for incandescent white (they are all ordered from our vendors, not purchased locally).

Well, last year I used LED cool white C7's. It was not a good match with the incandescent clear lights but it worked out none the less. This year, I'm using Red and Green LED C9's I found at walmart that look more traditional. Even the neighbor didn't notice, just said, "good you're finally using the right lights." LOL! In any event, I'm adding multi LED C7's this year around the gutters only and will probably not sequence with them much, but once again, I bought them so I'll use them. My color scheme is RED, GREEN, CLEAR. The extras??? who knows, but I've never had a complaint yet!

I'm glad to hear this as I need to start the conversion but I figured I would have to completly convert each color one for one to make it look similar. I would like to make this about a three year conversion and then I could probably swallow the cost.

Thanks for everyones input! I bought some clear incandescent lights today and not too bad. They are a little different but pretty dang close. Much better than the incandescent multis I bought. This will help save a lot of money on my archs and many other things. As I add more lights, it will become even harder to see the difference.

After reading so much info on LED vs. Incandescent I purchased myself 3 125 light icicle lights and 2 70 light strands of LED blue. I am replacing 3 of my Incandescent icicle light sets with the LED - didn't wanna go overboard financially at this point. Just wondering however, will I be ok running all them together on the same circuit? The other icicle lights state not to run more that 3 together so I am assuming the difference in the LED should allow me to run all 5 LED strands and 2 incandescent until I can afford 2 more LEDS?

This is my first year converting some props to LED. The contrast so far looks ok. Not sure I want to go all-out LED.

They just seem to have a weird glow I don't completely like. I have seen homes all LED and IMHO just doesn't look ok.

After accumulating quite a few LEDs after Christmas last year and over the past several months, I've been able to use LEDs on the whole roof and the window frames. All the rest of my display is incandescent.

I have varied results as far as matching colors.

GE Energy Smart icicle WARM white LEDs from lowe's aren't warm (yellowed) enough compared to incan., but Walmart warm white LED single strands look excellent.

All of the red LEDs are almost spot on with incan., with the exception of some Hobby Lobby net lights that were a weak red right out of the box.

Some Greens are a good match, but some are a little worse, again, the Hobby Lobby net lights (brand new are a weak green) and some of the other incan. greens seem faded compared to Green LEDs.

Blues are flat out terrible. All of my blue incan. are nowhere close to as bright or brilliant as the LEDs. As a matter of fact, half of the blue incan. don't match the other blue incan. It's just something I'm going to have to deal with this year, and keep on slowly replacing the incan. with LED

My source for lights have been all of the local sales after Christmas, mainly walmart and hobby lobby. I haven't yet decided to get more LEDs from any PC vendors, but it is a thought that I consider from time to time. It would just be crazy expensive.

Fading of lights is starting to become a problem with my sequencing though......

I am assuming the difference in the LED should allow me to run all 5 LED strands and 2 incandescent until I can afford 2 more LEDS?

I'm no lighting guru like others, but I have no problem running them on the same circuit.

They just seem to have a weird glow I don't completely like.

Funny you say that because I notice the same thing. My green LEDs are super bright. They even glow in the dark when they are not even plugged up.

It would just be crazy expensive.

Mine was cray expensive so that's why I'm looking to mix them now. It cost me $700 just to do warm white icicles around the front of my

house.

When I did my icicle lights, i did them all at once and converted them to LED, according to the manufacturer I bought I can string together 21 of the LED icicle lights. I replaced all my icicles because I could not get LED's to match my incandescent icicles. From what I can tell, the fuses in the strands are 3amp fuses. The incandescent lights use about .5 amps a string and the LED's only use about .05 amps per string. The recommendation on the incandescent lights is to have a little elbow room and not blow the first strings fuse in the case of a surge.

The only place in my yard that is 100% LED is on my roof, I have a 14 foot mega tree on the roof with 4826 lights, i have 20 sets of icicle lights in white, and 20 sets of icicle lights in red, with everything on, i am pulling less than 5 amps. If I had been running incandescents up there i would have needed 20 amps just for the roof. Quite the power savings:) Allows me to put more lights everywhere else:)

Quite the power savings:) Allows me to put more lights everywhere else:)

I agree. I was starting to get nervous because I hadn't figured out what circuits I was going to get power from, or if I would have to build a subpanel, etc., but when I accumulated all of the LEDs recently here and there, it eased my worries when the power reduction meant I only needed 10 dedicated circuits for my lights, which I just scraped by using rec room, basement, and exterior circuits, with extension cords running out several windows. Of course 10 circuits for my LOR controllers does still mean that I can only power about 1/4 of my lights at any given time, but I've managed.;)