Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
indytycoon

Ice 2011!

Don't forget to leave July 8 - 10, 2011 on your schedule for ICE! In the Indianapolis area. We will have a great conference! (Remember my rule, it is NOT a mini)

Edited by indytycoon
Spelling

Count us in, this is our first year, running 48 channels and 20,000 lights- would love to attend and learn new things.

lory

Ok I have a dumb question. I'm originally from Indiana but now live in Florida. My question is what is ICE and when is it and how do you find out more info. My wife and I have thought of going home this summer and this may be something to see and learn.

Ok I have a dumb question. I'm originally from Indiana but now live in Florida. My question is what is ICE and when is it and how do you find out more info. My wife and I have thought of going home this summer and this may be something to see and learn.

Baron, ICE is Indiana Christmas Enthusiasts and July 8-9 is our gathering. You may find more information at www.indianachristmas.com or in the forums at www.holidayuniversity.com. Feel free to PM me here or at any of those above sites.

Thank you

Greg

Things are really getting exciting...

It looks like we will have decorators from coast to coast in attendance this year! :)

Keep your eyes on this thread as Open Registration will be available very soon.

Don't forget about the weber trees (spiral trees ) I know a few that are interested in hearing about them

Don't forget about the weber trees (spiral trees ) I know a few that are interested in hearing about them

Ditto!

SPaschall

I think we may have you covered.... ;)

Education... :)

Even though we have quite an amazing line up so far of subjects, with our different approach this year AND the years and level of experience of some of the people attending, we wanted to open things up and ask for YOUR input on the last few spots!

What is the one thing that YOU would you like to know a little more about?

Education... :)

Even though we have quite an amazing line up so far of subjects, with our different approach this year AND the years and level of experience of some of the people attending, we wanted to open things up and ask for YOUR input on the last few spots!

What is the one thing that YOU would you like to know a little more about?

DMX - still have a hard time trying to figure it out.

Available NOW!

Cambria Suites Noblesville

The official hotel of ICE

Attendee price: $99.00— King suite

Please call 317.773.4970 and reference the ICE block to make your reservation.

Must call before June 24, 2011.

Hotel Info

Don't forget to look over your stash of Christmas related items to pick out something for the "White Elephant" Exchange at ICE

It is totally voluntary, but those that have participated before know how much fun this can be!

(And a great way to turn something you may not use into something that MAY be just what someone else is looking for!)

If you have never taken part in one of these, here is a flow chart of how it works:

WhiteElephantGiftExchange.png

Don't forget to look over your stash of Christmas related items to pick out something for the "White Elephant" Exchange at ICE

It is totally voluntary, but those that have participated before know how much fun this can be!

(And a great way to turn something you may not use into something that MAY be just what someone else is looking for!)

If you have never taken part in one of these, here is a flow chart of how it works:

WhiteElephantGiftExchange.png

I tried to follow that. My head is spinnng. Really. What shoudl I bring?

For people attending ice i have some good prices on some stuff i am getting rid of check out www.winksale.yolasite.com

Gregg

I tried to follow that. My head is spinnng. Really. What shoudl I bring?

Just bring a wrapped, anonymous, Christmas related item from your stash... something you may not use but someone else may have a need for! ^_^

Just a heads up...

If you want to receive the official 2011 ICE shirt with your registration, the deadline is Monday June 27th!

Registrations will be accepted right up to the day of the event, but after the deadline you will not receive a shirt.

You have been warned.... ;)