I attached the animation sequence to this post.

The tree its self is 22' tall, the lights are all cable tied to the center pole to make them go up to a point and not have a unsightly flat top since our star is about 18" above the tip of the tree.

The first thing we did after the tower was standing and secured was attached the ends of all the lights to the top, 5 at a time and stretched them way out away from the tower (we attached them to our fence that is about 15' away to keep them up out of the way) We used 32, 30 foot sets of blue LEDs.

We had to put all of the lights up there first because once the supporting wires are up, the top of the tree is to skinny to climb up the center to attach them.

The base of the tree is 10' in diameter, we evenly spaced 16 stakes around the circumference of the base that hold the supporting wires for the lights. (I think they ended up being like 23.5" apart)

We then attached the 16 supporting wires to the top of the tree about 6 inched under where we attached the lights (i do not know if this helped or not...)

Since we get a lot of snow (up to 5' at a time sometimes) we made the base where the lights connect about 12" off of the ground, we just wrapped wire around the base 12" up the supporting wires but I think like 1/2" PVC pipe would have worked better.

We then began to take the lights and wrap them around the tree, it was trial and error we just wrapped it to the bottom as much as we could with that length of lights, we did learn to always wrap above the one you previously wrapped this helps them from "Settling" down on each other. We just made sure the end at the bottom landed on a stake and then between stakes and so on so at least the bottom is evenly spaced.

After we put all of the lights on we went through and cable tied the lights everywhere they cross a supporting wire...... It took for ever but it really made the tree turn out sturdy and no amount of wind can tangle the lights.

I will take pictures of the tree in the daylight tomorrow and get them posted on here for ya.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask!

Here are some daylight photos I took this morning the lights on the top in the back are a little closer together than in the front but you cannot tell at night when its on, actually when I turn it completely on you cant even tell that it spirals.

Let me know what you think!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40744[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40745[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40746[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40747[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40748[/ATTACH]

Here are some daylight photos I took this morning the lights on the top in the back are a little closer together than in the front but you cannot tell at night when its on, actually when I turn it completely on you cant even tell that it spirals.

I don't like it. :)

I see you zipped tied every stand that crossed a guy wire. Nice attention to detail (and a lot of time and effort) - it really keeps the strings equally spaced, nice and straight...

That is one fine looking tree and video!

Glenn

Here is our 26' piece of work. It really turned out better than we had hoped!

We used a 20 foot tower that you can climb up and down to secure the lights once we got them how we wanted. There are 32 strands of Blue LEDs coming from the top to the bottom that wrap around 16 wires. The tree its self is about 22' when we added the star it came out to be just over 26'. The spirals use 16 channels.

This was just a quick little animation (no music yet), we have way more to the display than just that tree.

Tree looks really Great also where did you get the star on the tree top I like the flashes it puts out?

Tree looks really Great also where did you get the star on the tree top I like the flashes it puts out?

We actually built the star like 3 years ago, it is the same as Holdman's just about 4' tall, it is a metal frame (that we designed and welded together) and I put clear rope lights on it along with 4 strobes from Wow lights.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40786[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40785[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

dixonlights: Awesome tree! Love it!

mestalights: Awesome tree as well. I love that your arches are on your roof, very unique. Also, your letters, is that just a rectangle split into grids and each little grid has its own channel assigned to it? If so, what kind of lights did you use for each little grid and how did you attach them?

Ours uses a modest 8 channels/strings (a little on the short length side) We would like to upgrade the spiral tree with 16 channels/strings and longer length strings next year. The spiral portion is overlayed the standard Megatree strings along with support wires to hold it all up.

I think it looks great, I think it works well because you have the megatree under it to give you the fullness when you want.

Nice!

I think it looks great, I think it works well because you have the megatree under it to give you the fullness when you want.

Nice!

I've seen you video before trolling around on Youtube and really liked how the video came out with the wet ground. Nice show.

Thanks for the nice comments and compliments. I think we just might be getting the hang of this 'hobby'. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

So let's say you had a tree that wasn't transparent. Can you still do the illusion of the spiraling tree? That would make a great effect if there was a way to do it on a foliage tree or something.

I don't think it would have the same effect, Jeff. The spiral mega tree is cool because you CAN see both sides (front and back) of the tree at the same time. If using a live tree, or the tree you did in Guatemala, it might not look as cool. The coolness factor comes from the fact that when the tree is "spiraling" the front and back strands have the effect of crossing. I don't think it would look as good or even be visable if using a live tree or other type of "non see-through" tree.

I don't think it would have the same effect, Jeff. The spiral mega tree is cool because you CAN see both sides (front and back) of the tree at the same time. If using a live tree, or the tree you did in Guatemala, it might not look as cool. The coolness factor comes from the fact that when the tree is "spiraling" the front and back strands have the effect of crossing. I don't think it would look as good or even be visable if using a live tree or other type of "non see-through" tree.

You make a good point. Well I'm going to find a project in which this type of tree would be appropriate because I really want to try it :).

• 2 months later...

Here's the main part of my display that has a 10' spiral tree on either side of a 20' regular Megatree. It's only a standard test run without music, but it should give you a feel for the type of display I have. 8 channels of white, 4 channels each of red and green on each spiral tree and each tree has its own controller.

http://vimeo.com/17620901

What do you think?

Richard

Looks great and the sequencing was fantastic. I would like to know if the the 16 strings are all wound in the same direction?

Looks great and the sequencing was fantastic. I would like to know if the the 16 strings are all wound in the same direction?

The answer is yes.Each strand has to be wound the same direction and no of times for the effect to work.