Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Elaine F

2010 Christmas Display on the Space Coast of Florida

I was really bummed that I got such a late start this year, but I finally have most of my display up! Mostly the same as last year, but I have a few new pieces I'm excited about -- mainly my church, and my choir. And this year I did my first mega tree! It's just 10 feet tall, but it adds a lot of light to the scene. And of course, it's topped with a blow mold angel! I hope y'all enjoy! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40500[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40498[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40497[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40501[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40499[/ATTACH]

Here's a shot of the entire front yard, along with a picture of my latest choir peeps who are singing inside this year.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40502[/ATTACH]

Very nice display. How did you hang the sled and reindeer

I used the plastic coated cable, pretty small sized, probably 1/8". Drilled holes in front and back of the sleigh and each reindeer. I ran the cable through each, then put a loop in each end of the cable, and crimped it closed using (I think it's called) a grommit (it's in Home Depot right next to the cable). Then I screwed a really big hook into the wood fascia above the front porch. Behind Santa, I hammered one of those really heavy duty stakes into the ground (the kind you chain a dog to - except I removed the chain - and the dog) and attached the cable loop to the caribiner that came on the stake. I had a friend help me attach the cable to the stake so I could put the stake far enough back to get Santa up off the ground. Last year it wasn't as far back, and Santa was only a couple of inches off the ground. Oh, also, behind the sleigh and each reindeer, I put a tiny piece of foam rubber around the cable and held it on with a tie wrap. This keeps the reindeer and sleigh from sliding down the cable.

The most difficult part was getting them out of the attic, because now they act as one unit. With the loops in the cable, I can't remove the cable from the sleigh and reindeer. I'm going to rig something to just hang everything in the garage from now on, because I'd like to add more reindeer until I have all 9. I'll probably do them in sets of 2, side by side.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow morning, and post them here. I read a few threads last year, and the year before and used suggestions from other PC'ers. Here are a couple of the threads:

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/24004-Make-sleigh-and-reindeer-quot-Fly-quot?highlight=blow%20mold%20reindeer%20air

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/26607-Santa-is-flying-THANKS-to-you-all?highlight=flying

Great job Elaine. Your mold collection is coming along :) Maybe you can add a duck :)

Thanks, Andrew! Maybe I will add a duck! I have an extra Santa hat I could put on him, so he should fit right in! ;)

How bout a goose?? : ) Very nice display!!!

I think I'm supposed to have 2 ducks before I get a goose! ;)

And, thank you!

Elaine,

What's your address? I'd like to see the display...I'm just up in West Melbourne. Are you gonna post on bclights.com?

John

Guest A.F.NUT

It just looks great, I like your choir I really like the little Beco kids! the tree is done so nicely it all looks perfect.

Thank you all for the nice comments! :)

Thanks, Gary, but I'll pass on the snow! Although the kids would like to see snow sometime. I got my indoor choir kids off eBay. They were listed as Bel Air, but they don't have any markings. I'm looking for my catalog CD from Mel to see if I can confirm, but I can't seem to locate the CD just yet. I'll post if I get a confirmation.

Ironman, sorry for the delay. Here are the pictures of how I hung Santa's sleigh. One more picture will be in the next post.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40693[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40694[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40695[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40696[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40697[/ATTACH]

Thanks again, everybody!

I love your choir, especially the larger ones in the back row. I hope to find some of these this next year. Thanks for sharing. Andy from Tn.