Keeping people from parking directly in front of your display...

Ok, trying to decide if this is a good idea or not... Having some vehicles that end up parking square in front of my display, on my side of the street, which blocks the view for 4 or more cars that are on the other side! If they stay just to the sides of my property line on my side they are fine, and can see everything much better anyway. I have pretty good luck with people being courtious and turning off their headlights, though the ones that park right in front are usually the same ones that don't have sence enough to even do that.

I have some orange traffic cones that I use for my lawn biz. Thinking about placing a couple just a foot or two off the curb in the road to keep people from parking there. I'd have to pick them up after lights out and put them back each evening. I know it's not "legal" to block parking along a public road... My front yard is narrow so there's barely 2 car lengths between the property line and my driveway.

I don't have voice overs by the way... Since I'm using the mini director with LOR. Plus I'd really have to have a quick "please don't park in front of the display and switch your headlights off" between every 2 songs or so.

Good idea or bad? (the cones)

Suprised no one had any input on this... I did go ahead and put out 2 cones last saturday night and it seemed to help. At least the times I looked out there wasn't any vehicles smack in front of the display. The orange cones are not attractive though, lol. Maybe others don't have a problem with this issue... I know even when I've tried to watch my own show from my truck I even get my view blocked by the ocassional inconsiderate "i'm the only person that matters in this world" kinds of people.

I have a bumper between songs where my daughter asks people to avoid parking in front of the house so they don't block the view. However; the people that tend to park there are pretty clueless and they voice over doesn't help much. My problem comes when the people who can't see start honking. That will get me in trouble with the neighbors.

This is a common problem. My solution is currently the similar to what jstorms is doing. My daughter is in a voiceover and just asks to not block driveways, be courteous to others and turn off headlights. It generally works on most (not all). People who become viewing experts after some time, and sometimes others yell at them or have other ways to get the message across. I stay out of it, but its frustrating when people don't know better.

Ok, trying to decide if this is a good idea or not... Having some vehicles that end up parking square in front of my display, on my side of the street, which blocks the view for 4 or more cars that are on the other side! If they stay just to the sides of my property line on my side they are fine, and can see everything much better anyway. I have pretty good luck with people being courtious and turning off their headlights, though the ones that park right in front are usually the same ones that don't have sence enough to even do that.

I have some orange traffic cones that I use for my lawn biz. Thinking about placing a couple just a foot or two off the curb in the road to keep people from parking there. I'd have to pick them up after lights out and put them back each evening. I know it's not "legal" to block parking along a public road... My front yard is narrow so there's barely 2 car lengths between the property line and my driveway.

I don't have voice overs by the way... Since I'm using the mini director with LOR. Plus I'd really have to have a quick "please don't park in front of the display and switch your headlights off" between every 2 songs or so.

Good idea or bad? (the cones)

That's what I've been doing for two years now. I use small orange traffic cones I got at Home Depot. They're not as obnoxiously big as the regular size. I have a total of five that I put out directly in front of the display. I also use three voice overs throughout the show to remind people to not block the neighbor's drives and turn their headlights off.

Without the cones, there's almost always some clueless or inconsiderate person parked directly in front of the display blocking 2 or 3 other well behaved viewers. Very strangely, it's almost always someone in a HUGE vehicle, minivan, Suburban or full size SUV!!!! Go figure. ;)

I really don't think it's being inconsiderate, it's usually just that they're mezmerised by the display and don't look around and realize there are people in all of those other cars on the street with em. ;)

I don't think there is much you can do besides the things already mentioned: Cones, Shorter songs, Voiceovers ... and relying on your viewers to encourage those that are a little lost in the proper etiquette. I'm convinced that the best solution is experienced viewers/fans of your show ... who will demonstrate proper conduct to the newbies present ... and it's easier to 'get it' when you have some examples to follow all around you. I think some people appear to be inconsiderate when they drive up with highlights on and park in front of 5-10 other cars. I understand how its either that, lack of understanding or just being mesmerized and in their own world.

I'm expecting really big crowds tonight. I've contacted the local police to give them the heads up and ask them to do a few roll throughs. Not expecting any trouble, but thought it would be the responsible to do.

Most of my problems occur when people block each others views by parking right in front of the house. When this area is clear about 10-12 cars can see at a time vs. just two people parked right in front.

I'm going to try putting luminaries in the street about 2' from the curb. I'm going to *try* it with candles. I'm hoping this will keep the area clear.

Don't forget, some newer cars, you can't turn the headlights off. It's not like the old days where a twist of the switch will do it. When it gets dark, the headlights automatically come on and some may not have an overide.

But wouldn't it be nice to have a button on the console in cars with a figure of a light bulb (Christmas light option) to push when touring light displays? LOL

I'm going to try putting luminaries in the street about 2' from the curb. I'm going to *try* it with candles. I'm hoping this will keep the area clear.

Without candles people pretty much ignored them so I lit them up. After that people only parked on the other side of the street and I was able to count 14 cars at a time able to watch the lights.

I actually had a person who threatened to have their friends all park and block my display because my nativity is is to the far side of the display and not the center of attention. They accused me of destroying the meaning of Christmas. I have some singing characters in my display the are centered because my show is a fun show for all ages I put the nativity where I did because I have a light beam from my star that highlights it and it was the only place I could really put it. Can't please everyone.

• 1 year later...

I'm more fortunate than most. My display sits 3' up off the level of the road. It certainly helps with the visual end of it. But my mini trees (4' tall white artificial trees) are hidden when people park the big SUV's in front. I'm also in a community where people park at my house because there are no parking meters they must feed while they work an 8 hour shift. Most leave at 5pm. This year has been very good compared to the first 3 years, most people don't park long-term in front of the display. In previous years, the old tenants down the block ALWAYS parked directly in front with their big SUV. Even my tenants parked their minivan there last year. I asked them consistently to just move it up a few feet after they unloaded the kids. Well, they got the message this year and now only park out back. So much traffic and they have a lot of visitors who want to see the display.

I really like the idea of orange cones, orange lights, and a Santa's Sleigh parking sign. I think that would be a nice inexpensive addition that can be put out at night during display hours.