Vegas Video Editor - How to sync video to music?

Guest Bob&Elaine Moody

Guest Bob_Moody

On a recomendation I downloaded Vegas Video 9. Certianly more than MS Movie Maker but I still want to know a best practice for getting the audio and video in sync.

I am guessing that you place a radio (since my video recorder doesnt have an external audio input) so the camera can hear it, then just match up the waveforms (visually or by sound) and mute or take out the video's audio track then after that the sky's the limit.

What are some other methods that work for you? I have seen some of the videos that PC members create and they are usually right on the money.

Thanks for the advice. Waiting patiently with raw footage and an anxious family far away this year.

One of my tricks is to video the synchronized display initially using just the camera microphone...you can quickly move the camera around for different angles without having to worry about extra radios, wires, etc.

Edit your final video keeping everything in sync with the field recorded audio. When done, mute the field audio track and add another track of the same music your synchronized show is using. Now you have great video with perfect audio.

Another hint: cutaway shots don't have to be in perfect sync with the final audio... the viewer has already figured out the lights flash with the music and the cutaway breaks the monotony of just one long shot.

Word to the wise: editing video can become a black hole of time... but it sure is fun!

I merely try to pick one point in the video where I know what display elements hit at what beats in the music, and match that second or two up with the point on the song. From there, the audio & video should be matched up for the entire deal. As Chuck mentioned above, cut away shots don't have to be perfect, but a similar tactic can be used for each of them - knowing what part of the song the lighted element is reacting to, and matching it.

Interesting thread. I wonder if anyone has ever done anything strange like light up a certain tree at exactly :30 into the song, or when these three trees turn red,green,clear ... then its exactly :30 into the song?

Maybe I could flicker the tune to sign "off" for 1 second at a certain point, just for an easy sync point to the music?

I will say it would be nice to know which song it is based on some secret thing you do, so your footage could be shot without sound and just knowing you could ID the song and sync it easily later.

I will say it would be nice to know which song it is based on some secret thing you do, so your footage could be shot without sound and just knowing you could ID the song and sync it easily later.

That's something I definitely do - I can look at the first 10 seconds of each of my songs without the music and tell you exactly what song it is, because each have their own startups and effects (Example: Let It Snow swipes the mega in between red, blue, and green before switching everything to a blue/white combo with strobes; All I Want For Christmas Is You starts out twinkling the mini trees in white, then does a slow 2-color wash on the 10's before a quick RGB switchoff on all 5 trees + minis, etc etc). For sync'ing in cut-aways it's useful to be able to hear at least generally where you are in the song, but once I know where abouts in the song I am, I can look at the lights and sync it up with little difficulty.

Two basics, one what ever format you recorded the video in do not convert it if possible, drag and drop the video as is into Vegas.

If possible use RAW PCM wav files for the audio. Mp3 are not the best format for messing about with in an editor. And choose your output carefully , its what the family can play ,not you..

Grab a copy of the free Audacity. and use that to export your sound as a wav file if its in mp3, also it should be able to record the output from Vixen, so play the show through and record it to a single wav. then import that into Vegas, then find an obvious visual cue in the show , and rock and roll the audio till its synced. Oh and load a15-30 second blank screen prior to your show video. easier to drag the audio track.

Edited by pyrotech

Guest Bob_Moody

Thanks to everyone for thier replies, tips and suggestions. The mic in this camera is VERY sensitive and I do have outdoor speakers under the porch (Just didnt want to irritate the neighbors) ..

The visual clues are another great idea. I do have one spare channel on the roof with the Merry Christmas Sign. I could put a clear bulb (C9) up there and trigger with LOR on the first beat of the music.

I'll start playing with this tonight. Hopefully, barring Chucks black hole theory of video editing, I will have something to share soon..

Thanks again!!

Here's what I do.

I have a channel for my radio station sign and I turn it on at the very beginning of the sequence, but shut it off a second or two before the very end of the song.(If you don't do this, the station sign would just blink once between songs.)

In the video editing software, the point where my station sign lights up is the beginning of the song.I align the song up to this and voila!!