Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
aussiephil

My megatree effort - RGB - 6720 channels

OMG! You have just set the bar for the rest of us!

Details on how you made it. we'd love to hear.

This is wonderful.

So does this tree have a name?

What software and hardware do you use to control 6720 channels?

Glenn, the software is Vixen with some highly customized scripting to process video files into Vixen data, very little time was spent in the sequencing software as i had run out of time, had zero sequencing done at the end of November! The hardware is EthConGateway to DMX then Tiger TP3244 Pixel controllers.

Dano - yeah finally got a few days to do some bits....

Jeff - mine was spinning pretty hard, i had the concept in my head of how to do the sequencing but nothing was really tested till 3 weeks ago.

Darlene - never thought of naming it, MPH called his last year "another boring megatree" personally i just think of it as my megatree.

Everyone who has stopped in a chatted has been amazed and i'm not convinced i'm showing it off at at's best yet, got some more sequences to do over the next few days.

Jem, as above sequencing was not that bad really :) I can sequence the tree faster than i can the rest of the display...

Oh my, simply amazing. It is mesmerizing (that's probably spelled wrong)!!!!!!! I'm in awe watching it.

First question, about how much does this cost? I know if you have to ask, it's too much.

Second question, repeated from above, how do you do that?

Joe

Weren't we worthy enough on your site to post it there?

Great job though. Explains why you haven't been around on the forums.

Well done

Wombat

OKAY !!! I am planning on successfully putting together a single 16 channel set of lights or something for my first-ever display in 2011 and I come across THIS ?! I am so far behind the loop I can't even fathom something of that nature. YOU ARE THE BOMB OF MEGATREES !! Well done.

So guys a lot of things to do with RGB and pixel based lighting has come out of Auschristmaslighting forums where Phil and a few of us have taken on the RGB challenge. I myself have created my whole house to be RGB with flowing rainbow effects. Still need to create a decent video which ill post.

But nice work Phil, great effect and now we can see why you have dissapeared the last few weeks.

But how about posting over at the Auschristmaslighting forums as well so your dedicated followers dont feel left out :D

Eddy, Wombat... I was saving the best videos for you guys, i have a couple of more that show this tree off even better and wanted to get them done.

As you guys know how busy i was... I was still constructing strings for the tree on the 6th Dec!!!

I had the front half of the tree up and needed to complete the other half of the strings, still doing song sequnences for the next couple of nights.

I have been added to a bus tour group and have been getting lot's of cars.

Toenails.... Thanks, remember we all start somewhere, my first year had the icicles that you still see on the house 3 years later plus a couple items in the front yard.

Joe.... Cost? well it's one of those variables, RGB pixels will cost anywhere from 70c to $2.00 each, these fell somewhere in the middle of that. The soft plastic leaves that were then attached to every pixels are 25c each plus the cost of the controllers and the back end hardware... it all adds up.

Oh and a slightly unexpected cost... one new computer, Vixen running 10 songs with 8.5k channels uses around 5Gb of RAM!!!

Eddy, Wombat... I was saving the best videos for you guys, i have a couple of more that show this tree off even better and wanted to get them done.

As you guys know how busy i was... I was still constructing strings for the tree on the 6th Dec!!!

I had the front half of the tree up and needed to complete the other half of the strings, still doing song sequnences for the next couple of nights.

I have been added to a bus tour group and have been getting lot's of cars.

Toenails.... Thanks, remember we all start somewhere, my first year had the icicles that you still see on the house 3 years later plus a couple items in the front yard.

Joe.... Cost? well it's one of those variables, RGB pixels will cost anywhere from 70c to $2.00 each, these fell somewhere in the middle of that. The soft plastic leaves that were then attached to every pixels are 25c each plus the cost of the controllers and the back end hardware... it all adds up.

Oh and a slightly unexpected cost... one new computer, Vixen running 10 songs with 8.5k channels uses around 5Gb of RAM!!!

Great to see that there is reasoning behind this post as we are all keen to see you back on the chat and on the forum at Auschristmaslighting forums, we all miss you :)

And im glad that you were able to pull it off, we have really pushed some boundaries this year with pixels and RGB lighting but in the end the effect was well worth it.

So guys a lot of things to do with RGB and pixel based lighting has come out of Auschristmaslighting forums where Phil and a few of us have taken on the RGB challenge. I myself have created my whole house to be RGB with flowing rainbow effects. Still need to create a decent video which ill post.

But nice work Phil, great effect and now we can see why you have dissapeared the last few weeks.

But how about posting over at the Auschristmaslighting forums as well so your dedicated followers dont feel left out :D

Geez... do we need to fill up the club Eddy? :) Keep it on the down low!

Phil - glad to see you are infact alive and that all the TP3244 and other details got done prior to going underground. :)

2011 is going to be even more off the hook than 2010 if we can get this software thing worked out!

Go Go Christmas Lights 3.0!

Oh my, simply amazing. It is mesmerizing (that's probably spelled wrong)!!!!!!! I'm in awe watching it.

First question, about how much does this cost? I know if you have to ask, it's too much.

Second question, repeated from above, how do you do that?

Joe

Joe,

Your right, it's too much.

The pixels came in around 93c each as a compromise between the 67c rubbish and the high end fully seealed ones from Responsebox.

The soft plastic maple leaves used on each pixel were another 20c per pixel.

2240 pixels in the tree, i'll let the reader do the maths.

Each string was a custom made length of 112 pixel nodes with power feed from each end.

The tree consists of 20 strings, each string goes up and down, so 40 strings effective on the tree.

The maple leaves flesh the tree out and make it look much fuller.

Each string was driven by a Tiger TP3244 controller using 336 DMX channels.

2 x 100A 5V power supplies were used with the load shared between them.

The software how was explained briefly a few posts back

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

Which waterproof pixels did you end up using? Did they hold up to the weather okay? I have a few ideas I want to try, and your definitely seem more waterproof than what I have been hearing about!

Phil,

Which waterproof pixels did you end up using? Did they hold up to the weather okay? I have a few ideas I want to try, and your definitely seem more waterproof than what I have been hearing about!

Mine were from Onumen, the key is to take any pressure away that causes the plastic encapsulation to be stretched if it is soft. just adding some sealant is not the answer, it has to be mechanical.

These sorts of strings are heavy and should be attached to support wires when used free hanging over say six feet and especially in a megatree.

Cheers

Aussiephil