Last evening after collecting the donations from the box I found the following note...

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Forbes, Please find enclosed a small donation for your charities and a gift for you. We are sure the expense of putting on this display is substantial and we would like to help. Thank you for giving so much of your time and effort to brighten the holidays for so many and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thank You

When I opened the envelope I found two substantial cashers checks, over three figures each, from a local bank with no name or anything that would tell me from who it came. I took them to the bank and they said both checks where good. Question is do I keep the one or donation to charity also?

Edited by Roger

That's terribly nice of them, and speaks directly to the generosity of people.

Plus, it shows just how much people appreciate your display.

I have to say though, I'm not sure I could keep the money if I were you I would donate the entire amount.

I wouldn't judge you badly either way though.

I would follow their wishes. If you feel a bit guilty, then use the money to enhance your display so more people can appreciate it next year. They specifically gave you the money in appreciation for yoru hard work, so I believe you can use it as you see fit. If they wanted it all to go to charity then they would have just given you one check. It is their Christmas gift to you. Santa comes in all forms!

If they wanted to donate all of it to charity, then they would not have left a note saying that part of it is for you.Giving it away to charity equates to re-wrapping a present and passing it on to somebody else.

My suggestion would be to donate the bigger amount to charity and only use the other amount to better your display for next year.

This way, you have satisfied the doner's two requests of rewarding your hard work and contributing to a charity.

We were in a situation where some might think that we needed donations for ourselves. While times were tougher, and there were several generous contributions that we accepted and put toward our added expenses, there were many checks from people that we felt could use the money more than we could, an we sent thank you notes but did not cash the checks. A while later, we heard from family that these friends and family were upset. People give for a reason. They were cashiers checks for a reason as well. If you do not cash them the money really goes to waste. Like others have said, find a bargain on new lights and go over the top for next year! If all goes well, your over the top display will draw more visitors next year and you will be giving a even bigger check to your charities!

For all you know, the checks are from the grumpy neighbor that we all have that complains about the display:)

Do what you are comfortable with.

I personally like the idea of applying one to charity and one to improving the show for next year, but nobody would think ill of you regardless of your decision.

You have to live with your decision, these people have given you and option, use it as you see fit!

Merry Christmas!!!

Both checks where for the same amount, I have placed one in the donation department and other is going to be used for more LED's next year. After talking to others I feel thats what they wanted done anyway and as stated in other post they could have made one check but chose to do it this way and I will follow there request

Good for you! The ones donating were supporting two causes; 1) your charity 2) you for your efforts. There is no question as to what you should do with the money. I donate to charities all the time, but if I get money in a Christmas card, I keep it for myself, as it was a gift to me...for me. I feel this was the same intention. Enjoy the gift and stretch it as far as you can!

I guess I just don't feel right taking money for my display whether that's what these people wanted or not. To me this is a hobby that I should finance. If they wanted to donate lights or such I would take them but i guess i would just give all the money to charity. I would feel better this way and consider it as my gift. Those people aren't going to know that you gave it to charity.

I guess I just don't feel right taking money for my display whether that's what these people wanted or not. To me this is a hobby that I should finance. If they wanted to donate lights or such I would take them but i guess i would just give all the money to charity. I would feel better this way and consider it as my gift. Those people aren't going to know that you gave it to charity.

Thank you, atleast I'm not alone.

I agree with your decision, Roger, I would have done the same thing. By including 2 checks they meant for the amount to be for 2 recipients. Roger has decided to keep the check and add more LEDs. This benefits Roger in the fact he gets extra money for his hobby AND his investment in more lights could in effect raise more money for chairty. It's a win win for both sides in this case.

Last evening after collecting the donations from the box I found the following note...

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Forbes, Please find enclosed a small donation for your charities and a gift for you. We are sure the expense of putting on this display is substantial and we would like to help. Thank you for giving so much of your time and effort to brighten the holidays for so many and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thank You

When I opened the envelope I found two substantial cashers checks, over three figures each, from a local bank with no name or anything that would tell me from who it came. I took them to the bank and they said both checks where good. Question is do I keep the one or donation to charity also?

i dont understand the problem

you keep one and give the other to your charity, this is what they wanted you to do??

What a very generous thing for the giver to do.

I would honor their wishes.

Think of it this way, by taking the money and improving your display you are infact giving to the community.

As one family told me, they come by my display with their children to enjoy the beautiful lights that cost them nothing to view. They are a poor family and as the wife told me one year couldn't afford a tree so my display was very well received and enjoyed by her children and they would come back often so the kiddos could get their fill.

Your display means more to some families than you know so by taking the gift and adding to it, you are giving many a reason to enjoy the holiday.

But people, by giving the 2nd check to a charity isn't he helping those even less fortunate this year. As I stated, this is a hobby, we should be able to fund our own hobby even if he wants to go bigger next year. If he can't afford to then you don't. I'm sure the people will still come and still enjoy it and still donate whether his display is larger next year or not.

Wouldn't it be rude to actually go against the wishes of the person who donated who specifically went to the effort to supply two cheques. What you could do is the additions you add next year to your display with the donation you could have a side note in your display explaining that this was donated by an anonymous person and this is where that money went. Then they get to see what you did with it and get to enjoy their donation

I definitely agree, upgrade your display with the extra, as the ones donating may not be capable of setting up a big display and are living that through yours. Yes JKlein, you are very well meaning in your stated opinion and no one is disagreeing at all. It's just that the ones donating went to the trouble to specify where they wanted their contributions to go, so it's only right to go with their wishes. Don't feel as you are alone in donating it all to charity; nothing wrong with that either. But I would definitely mention the donors gift next year was responsible for whatever upgrade is done.