Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
theebigguy

Music for your Light Shows

I have looked around this forum and I find a lot of videos that have been pulled due to copyright infringements. And I am out here in Los Angeles and I am connected to a large amount of performers all of which at one time or another have written a Christmas tune. Are you guys interested in music that is new and has not been heard, or are you only looking for billboard material. I can ask and probably get a few nice responses and post them, I'm sure the musicians would get a kick out of the fact they are used for a Christmas show...Tell me what you think...

Mike

I think it's a great idea. I like the classics, but some of the songs that are "off the beaten path" I really prefer.

I like the Classics...But definitily would use new and different songs as long as there Christmassy

I have looked around this forum and I find a lot of videos that have been pulled due to copyright infringements. And I am out here in Los Angeles and I am connected to a large amount of performers all of which at one time or another have written a Christmas tune. Are you guys interested in music that is new and has not been heard, or are you only looking for billboard material. I can ask and probably get a few nice responses and post them, I'm sure the musicians would get a kick out of the fact they are used for a Christmas show...Tell me what you think...

Mike

Let me know Mike - thanks!

Brian

Sounds like a great idea. New unknown songs ae always great, adds alittle something to the display.

I agree sounds like a great idea! But i do have to drop my two cents when it comes to this copyrights thing. I thought if you buy the cd or the song you have open rights to do with it whatever you want to as long as your not burning copies and reselling it. Think about this one some of you are older then me and have bought the same song more then once. 8 track,record,cassette,cd,mp3, what ever....how many times they want us to buy something and cant use it in a free show or charity event. Anybody else think they taking this a bit too far? Remember when they were sueing kids for downloading songs? Let me tell you one thing your lucky that they even listen to you to begin with. If i made a movie or wrote a song and everyone was downloading it i would be THRILLED! I mean think about it they are not losing money that counts if anything we should be sueing them for making us buy the same music b/c ever so often then come up with some other device to play something different that you just "MUST HAVE" The word rat comes to mind and i know thats a rant you might think it but i say it...OH but you can listen to on the radio all day long. Where does it end?

I agree sounds like a great idea! But i do have to drop my two cents when it comes to this copyrights thing. I thought if you buy the cd or the song you have open rights to do with it whatever you want to as long as your not burning copies and reselling it. Think about this one some of you are older then me and have bought the same song more then once. 8 track,record,cassette,cd,mp3, what ever....how many times they want us to buy something and cant use it in a free show or charity event. Anybody else think they taking this a bit too far? Remember when they were sueing kids for downloading songs? Let me tell you one thing your lucky that they even listen to you to begin with. If i made a movie or wrote a song and everyone was downloading it i would be THRILLED! I mean think about it they are not losing money that counts if anything we should be sueing them for making us buy the same music b/c ever so often then come up with some other device to play something different that you just "MUST HAVE" The word rat comes to mind and i know thats a rant you might think it but i say it...OH but you can listen to on the radio all day long. Where does it end?

Your Point is well made........I happen to be one of the older generation of people you talk about , and yes I have purchased the same songs on the other media and now I find my self downloading the same songs from amazon for my displays. I think the music industry is one of the greediest ones out there.

Your Point is well made........I happen to be one of the older generation of people you talk about , and yes I have purchased the same songs on the other media and now I find my self downloading the same songs from amazon for my displays. I think the music industry is one of the greediest ones out there.

I do the exact same thing! Who wants to pay for the whole cd then rip it and all that jazz when you spend 1 dollar and get exactly what you need and the whole time your thinking i have that on vinyl,cassette,cd,and now on computer. By the time you start downloading it you have spend close to 100 bucks over the years for one song. I agree they greedier(sp is that even a word?) then a pack of hobos fighting for a bologna sandwich!

Here's the general idea of the law (see a Lawyer for clarification):

Purchasing of music allows you to use it for private use only, this includes playing it in your home, car, ipod, etc.

The fine line is when you broadcast it for "private use" of your show.

If you want to play music in a public place, such as over the radio or at a business, you need to get a license to do so.

The cost will vary depending on whether you are a non-profit, municipality, etc.

For commercial Christmas venues, we have to be VERY careful! What we need is a synchronization license (literally haha).

Usually referring to film, this license allows us to use the music for the designated period of time.

While private shows can practically do whatever they want, if I were to do a Disney song in a mall, my arse would be Disney's lol.

Think of it like software, you're purchasing a license when you purchase that CD. It's not "your" music, you're just enjoying it.

Guest Lightzilla

Mike

I did this very idea last year and I am doing it again this year and every year here after. The majority of the songs I used in my 2010 display were done by permission and they also allowed me to make a video of my display with their song in it for You Tube ( I asked). These songs as you put it "are either new and never heard of, or they are not "mainstream" and yet are good. Because of what I did with one singer/writers song last Christmas that the record company gave me a song and said "Work your magic on this song". So this song with a lady singer will be new once I post a video this December.

I am will be working on a Christmas song in a few month that has not been released yet, however I think it might be released for this Christmas season. I will be the 1st display to use this new song. Permission can be had and permission to make a video of you display with the song in it that you got permission for can be posted on You Tube.

Just be up front and truthful when seeking permission.

I had a singer, song writer contact me and now I have his 1st new Christmas song not yet released as I stated earlier.

However I cannot release any info this year but you can view my videos from last year and you can see what songs I used by permission. A few of the songs were given to me by the copyright owner. I am booked solid this year and some interesting songs will be coming your way. I have already found some songs for the 2012 season, however I will asked permission once late January or Mid-February comes.

For me this is great fun and I enjoy helping out singers from around the world. Hawaii, Austria, England, the U.S.A, Canada, and The Netherlands I believe it is for this year with permission from some big names.....depending on which kind of music you like.

Some recorded companies will ask you questions via email or have you fill out a form.

Questions like, will you sell your videos of your display, will you be charging admission (I hope no one does this), is any money being made, how long will your display run for etc, etc. Obviously (will for me anyways) the answer is no to most of the question except the ...How Long ... will the display run which is around 35 days or there about.

If it is direct contact with the singer, song writer then ask for permission to use the song and to make a video of the song dancing to lights to put on You Tube. Give proper credit, provide a link to the singer, writer's web site. Let them no that your display is non-profit, or better yet that no money is being made at all. I just want to help promote your song and bring joy to folks, which brings joy to me.

If there are songs you like in my display let me know and I will forward an email to them saying someone else may be interested in your songs. Then you can say to the singer writers " I saw your song flashing to lights from a display up in Alberta who got permission from you & I was wondering if I too could use the song or songs"

Like I said I really enjoy doing this. I have a European Superstar in my 2011 song list. Good song.

Just a few tips

Edited by Lightzilla

Guest Lightzilla

I should have stated that a number of the songs were actually a dedication to the armed forces. Sort of a rarity for a Canadian to do that. One of the songs I used is a dedication to the soldiers wife and this is a rarity in Christmas displays I think. However the interesting thing about this song is that it was viewed more than any of my dedication songs I used in my display & posted on You Tube. We cannot forget the soldiers wife.......they have a battle at home dealing with bills, loneliness and countless other issues. The unsung heroes.

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=1VUW-hJghtA

By the way the song "Soldiers Cry " comes in a USA version & a version for the UK. Below is the USA version ...... Purchase Roland Majeau's Music

http://www.rolandmaj...20USA%20mp3.mp3

Edited by Lightzilla

Guest Lightzilla

I wish we had more than 1 hour to edit posts that way another post would not be needed oh, well I wanted to say check this song called "Rockford's Christmas Song"......great song for children if you add any songs in your display for children. You can buy the song from CD Universe now as of March 28th in MP3 format or iTunes. That was one of the songs I got for free from "Rockford's Rock Opera" when I sought out permission for use & a video for You Tube. I am sure they would be glad to grant permission still if we ask.

This is what makes decorating fun as well.....helping out others in various ways.

http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage

Edited by Lightzilla