Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
TealFreakOrganizer-Kayla

Stars for mini mega trees- HELP!

I have 4, 4 foot mini mega trees. Each tree has 8 100 count strands. I would like to add a star to each tree. Bought some small wood stars and plan to drill holes to fit the lights into. I only need 25 lights and so far have not been able to find any outdoor lights in that small of a count. Here is my question. Could I buy a 100 ct string and cut it into 25 ct sections and splice male plugs onto them? I think I would have to twist the non plug end together with one of those little caps. Would vampire plugs work or do I need to buy some other kind at Lowes? I don't know much about this stuff, but my father in law does.:) Any help would be greatly appreciated since I would love to get them up this year, even though there's not much time left. I plan on attaching the stars to the cone at the top of the trees with zip ties.

For exterior rated lights, the best you can do is cut a 70 count string in half and get 35 in lieu of your 25. Walgreens carry the 70 count lights. I know that some of the Dollar Stores carry indoor rated lights in the lower quantity count range.

I have 4, 4 foot mini mega trees. Each tree has 8 100 count strands. I would like to add a star to each tree. Bought some small wood stars and plan to drill holes to fit the lights into. I only need 25 lights and so far have not been able to find any outdoor lights in that small of a count. Here is my question. Could I buy a 100 ct string and cut it into 25 ct sections and splice male plugs onto them? I think I would have to twist the non plug end together with one of those little caps. Would vampire plugs work or do I need to buy some other kind at Lowes? I don't know much about this stuff, but my father in law does.:) Any help would be greatly appreciated since I would love to get them up this year, even though there's not much time left. I plan on attaching the stars to the cone at the top of the trees with zip ties.
You might want to call Val at christmes-leds.com I know she has 20 light strings.

Just curious, but why cant you cut a 100 count string down to 25 count sections? I am rather new to this, but the my logic tells me that shouldnt be a problem... if I am wrong, please enlighten me.

:-)

Just curious, but why cant you cut a 100 count string down to 25 count sections? I am rather new to this, but the my logic tells me that shouldnt be a problem... if I am wrong, please enlighten me.

:-)

Most 100 count strings are really made up of two 50 count strings linked together. If you look closely at the 50th light in the string you can see how the wires from the electrical plug swap between strings. Each 50 count section is designed to dissipate 120VAC of energy. Notice that all 50 bulbs are wired together in series. Each bulb requires 2.4VAC. Multiply 2.4VAC by 50 and you get 120VAC. If you were to cut this into 25 lights then each bulb would be required to dissipate 4.8VAC of electricity. This makes the lights look much brighter for a short period of time before they all burn out.

With logic like that. You will not live long or prosper.

First logic is based on education. So, how much education have you had in the art of electricity and electronics?

As the earlier poster said, but I will state in terms that was part of my education. There is one law of electricity I will pass on, there are more.

Kirchhoff stated That the individual voltage drops within a circuit added up must equal the voltage applied. Lets look at that from the other direction.

If the voltage applied is 120VDC and you have 20 lights in a string. Then 120 / 20 = 6. So each bulb must be rated for 6 volts in order that they will not burn out. Another just to make sure you get it. Again 120VAC applied and 100 bulbs is 120 / 100 = 1.2 volts per bulb. Now if you replaced all of these bulb with 6 volt bulbs. Sure they will not burn out, but there is not enough voltage to each bulb and they will hardly light up.

Now this same concept holds true for LEDs but the math gets a bit more messy than what can be presented here. Now keep this also in your mind. These light bulbs or LEDs are for the most sake in a series circuit. As has been stated, your 70 count is two series circuits of 35 lamps each. And the two circuits are in parallel. Same holds true for the 100 count. But it could be two 50 counts or two 33 count and one 34 count to make up the 100 total.

Now C9 ican are in parallel and they can be cut down to what ever count you want. Also the RETRO C9 LED are all in parallel and can be also cut down to what ever length you want.