Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Don In Kenner-LA

Christmas Display Fine Home Robbed

Hi All:

Came home and found my house robbed. all the christmas gifts and all my guns all the jewerly taken. just a rough estiment about 20 to 30,000.00 in all. Now Iam broke and no gifts for anyone. All I can say is Iam putting my trust in God that he will handle this and help me through this Christmas.I have never been so depressed as I am now.:( :(:(

Don In Kenner,LA

Oh NO Sorry to hear that Don!

WOW it would seem with your display that robbers would stay away with the attention the display gets.

I hope they can find the jerks who did it & that your christmas is not ruined completely.I would be pretty depressed too.

Good Luck!

Sorry to hear about your theft. Will pray that good things come your way.

Enjoy your family and make happy memories, those are the things no one can take from you.

Again I am so sorry to hear of your theft at this time of year.

I, like everyone else, is sorry for your property losses Don. As a law enforcement officer in N.O. I know that had you, (and your family), been home at the time this occurred it could have turned out very badly. One lesson that living through Hurricane Katrina taught me is that property can be replaced, (eventually), but family and friends can't. I know that my comments can't replace your stolen property, but I sincerely hope that you and your family try to not let this ruin Christmas, (and that we all take this opportunity to - Remember the reason for the season!). I will pray that JPSO catches these cowardly, low life, scumbags that violated your castle and property. I will also be thanking the Lord that they didn't physically harm you or your family.

Hi All:

It might just be me but I dont belive that the police really care about the robbery. I have given them all kinds of evidence and yet they still havent even done the police report yet so 6 days latter they havent even done any investigation yet. I went to best buy and the perps spent all the gift cards used their names and phone numbers and bought cell phones with contracts. so I called the police they got the names and video of the perps cashing in the cards and still havent made a move. so I guess by the time they do move aginst them they will have gotten rid of all my stuff or sold it. Yes I have insurance but I lost about 20 to 30 k and will get a insurance payment of about 5 to 6k.

Don In Kenner,LA

Don,

I m sorry to hear of this robbery and the way it is being handled by the police. What have the police told you about why they are not doing anything? It's pretty sad that you have done more investigative work than they have. The squeaky wheel get oiled so keep calling. Speak with the Chief of Police, call the DA, local Papers, Etc.

I hope their is a sunny side to this situation soon. In the meantime we will be keeping you in our thoughts.

Hi All:

Just a update on this they finnaly have a punk in jail. But that will do little in the recovey effort. to date after looking at everything that this guy and his pals did to me and my family and what little the insurance paid iam about 30,000 in the hole. Iam just hoping to be able to put up a display in 2011. The worst part lost most of my sequences and music,my computers and laptop that they just smashed because it was password protected i guess my video camera and I lost my editing software for videos at least I was able to get my LOR software those people keep good records. Oh well I guess you can still say I still have my health.

Don In Kenner LA :(

Edited by Don In Kenner-LA

Hey believe me i know what your going through. Our last move they stole everything! I MEAN Everything! home audio,dj equipment,appliances EVERYTHING! HELL! they even took the microwave! THE MICROWAVE! THEY EVEN KNEW WHO DID IT AND THEY GOT FIRED! and that was it.... It was apraised at 50 thousand and we didnt get nearly that either. We hit every pawn shop and all and we really couldnt do anything b/c it was a military move so military had to handle things. It took us years to recover from the lose. Its a damn shame you cant have nice things with some butthead thinking they just going to walk in and take. Get a alarm call adt or what ever. Its better then nothing. That alarm prolly go off every 15 seconds when pets move or have to get up in middle of night and take a whiz but thats what they are there for. Neighbors get over all the noise. I hope everything starts to smooth out. People dont under stand what earns these items blood sweat and tears. Well one thing that kept our spirts up was we have tons of cds and we kept the cases and the cds were in books so they only stole empty cases and trust me there were tons of them They even stole comic books.....We had nothing but what we showed up with in trunk of car....They should cut hands off for things like this. People wonder why they take the law into their own hands well there ya go. When you have a corrupt police department that just dont care what do you do? Not saying all police are evil but theres a few out there....Sucks really

Yeah...it AMAZES me how some people find it OK to steal from others..We had a HUGE rash of thefts from end of October thru December last year...they hit 12 houses in a DAY on week...it was someone getting hit almost DAILY...they were doing it during the day when everyone was at work! Just last week they FINALLY caught them...FIVE of them....3 15 year olds, a 16 year old and a 19 year old. Bail set at 250,000 dollars each....I hope they NEVER GET OUT!

After they started though I put in my own alarm system a Honeywell Lynx Plus system...it is monitored for 12.95 a month! When the thing goes off it is so loud your ears ring and its uncomfortable...the sensors are pet friendly so they don't set them off. I paid a total of 400 bucks for all of it...sensors, alarm, panel. I told some people at our HOA meeting about it and had a smarty pants say..SOME OF US can't afford that...to which my response was..the first time your door is kicked in and they steal something...you'll pay the 400 just to pay for that!