Any electronic device has the possibility of failure. Does it happen often? I don't think so. I've had only one failed channel in 6 years. (And that was due to water getting into a flood light holder, causing an electrical spike on the channel.)

The general consensus is that taping over your plugs is *not* the way to go. Any water that gets past the tape job usually ends up getting stuck there.

GFCI plugs are one of the best things that you can do for your display. Other things you can do include making sure the ends of you light sets are not pointing up. By pointing them down you increase the chances that water will not enter into the plugs.

I have the same problem. After researching I learned this has happened. I talked to someone at LOR concerning the problem, saying it might be a blown Triac. They said to just call when I was ready (after the holiday) and send it back to have it fixed. I luckily have extra channels that I can just jump over to. Also, I have 2 extra boards in case there is a major problem.

Already have done that with the GFCI outlets and pointing plugs down. I guess that I will have to deal with this as it comes along.

Thanks for all the info.

I bought these at Wal-Mart (believe they were in bags of 50), they are outlet safety caps, originally these were white plastic, but I painted them black so they couldn't be seen after dark. I use these on ALL my light strings, both at the male pass through plug and at the end of the string where the female only plug is on many of my light strings. I have weathered at least 4 or 5 very hard, windy rainstorms, no issues with any controllers or light strings using these. I also used them in my Halloween display which also weathered several rainy days. See photo's below. Took these after dark, so the quality is not as good as it could be, but you can see how they are used. I believe the cost was about $2.25-$2.95/bag 50. Well worth the price, they have kept the water and rain out of all my light strings, including those lying on the ground. BTW: these have also passed the lawn sprinkler system test too, as some of my strings are right next to a sprinkler head.

Before I used these I was having constant GFCI trips, tripped circuit breaker every time it rained or the sprinkler system got the strings little wet near the receptacles. These little caps have been a great display saver for me! And they fit very snug too! Hope this helps!

Here's the photo's:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41238[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41235[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41237[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41236[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41239[/ATTACH]

This happened when it rained for 3 days then got very cold. Once it warmed up the problem went away. When it snowed problem has come back. The units a not even a year old. Does this happen alot to these units?

Maybe its a cold soilder joint? Happens on occasion. Living in south florida we rarely have the snow problem...LOL. Just throwing that out there.

Merry Christmas