Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
NkySpike65

Target, Christmas lights on sale updates.

Well hopefully since a few were 75% off today, tommorow will be the big day. Our target still had a quite a few LED's. I hate even paying $3 for a string of lights but I will do it.

So assuming we get to 75% off here in the next day or two or three ...

Are the $19.99 25' cords which are 15amp (really big) and 3 outlets each ... worth it at $5 each ?

I'm thinking yes, just because that are huge cords and 15amp ...

The 40' 13A green cords are a better deal at $2.25 and I can see more uses for them.

I'd also bite on the 15' indoor cords at 75% off.

I'd also take the 15' 3 outlet green outdoor cords.

Hopefully I get a chance.

My Target went 75% off today. I headed over and returned my "score" of LEDs and got my full money back (Purchased @ 50% off). They wouldn't let me buy them back at Returns, so I went to the Seasonal section and started filling up my cart. The returns lady brought what I just returned, so I pulled it out of her cart and then headed to the register! My Target still has LOTS of LEDs left -- mostly 60ct. faceted M5 Pure White LEDs (few warm white). I cleared out the reds, and somehow like 20 cases of multis went within the past week. Also, we've got lots of C6 blue and some m5 blue (60 ct.) If anyone is interested I could possibly ship some your way if you're willing to pay shipping. Obviously they're Phillips 1/2 wave, but list price is $2.99 and $3.19 after tax.

And for those who have seen 75% off ... what are the extension cords at? It seems that they are on an extra slow discount schedule.

Ok, 75% here in Colorado as well. The extension cords were a whopping 30%, however, so really nothing I wanted even at 75% off. They did have white minis and variety of (mostly white, or pink) LEDs, but nothing I needed. BIg disappointment, since the cords are overpriced to start with.

Our Target went 75% today too - the manager told me "we never know which day, we just find out in an email that morning" - tons of blue/white/multi/pink LEDs - including quite a few net and icicle lights which was cool. I think my total was $400 and at the end the receipt said "You saved $1200 today" (which I guess makes sense, at 75% off). All the extension cords were long gone by clerk's report. If my wife didn't stop me after I filled up the 2nd cart, I probably would have ended up with all of them. Once you start grabbing so hard to stop!! Even had a few of those snowflakes left, added bonus.

Do the Target Phillips lights dim with LOR ok? I'll still use them if they won't dim, but much more fun to just throw them in the mix.

Happy shopping everyone!

Went to multiple Targets..didn't get much, just a few sets of LEDs plus a couple digital timers (& even though i didn't need 'em a couple outdoor cords too)

Some stores had a 30% sign over the Cords but they scanned 75% .. others had went through and price-stickered cords/timers at 75%

@medman2000 I don't have LOR, but Philips LEDs will dim just fine in a stand-alone fader unit.

Edited by XmasLightGuy

My Target went 75% off today. I headed over and returned my "score" of LEDs and got my full money back (Purchased @ 50% off). They wouldn't let me buy them back at Returns, so I went to the Seasonal section and started filling up my cart.

That is a very interesting report. My Target has a sign that says that seasonal clearance items that are returned will be refunded for the current clearance price. Did yours have that sign posted? I would imagine that the policy at mine is to prevent just what you did (which I wish I could do too, so I'm not judging)... buy a bunch of exactly what you early in the season and return it once the major clearance hits and buy it again. Kinda like packing a tote and hiding it in a back-room! I bought a lot of stock at 50% and sure wish I could cut that bill in half now!

ShantaClausSm.png

The extension cords were a whopping 30%, however, so really nothing I wanted even at 75% off.

Again, interesting report. I checked the cords at mine and they weren't marked as being on sale at all. Maybe I will try scanning a couple and see if they just weren't marked.

ShantaClausSm.png

On another note, I began looking at Christmas Light sales back in 2002/3 I purchased light strings for $.75 at 50% off from Kmart when they still had the cheep strings. Well, the next year I noticed after christmas that they were up to $.85. I had purchased tones of things (way before LOR) from many different places and had plenty of lights to do my moms house (living at home then). I took a break from the sales till 2007 when I decided to do LOR.( 4 years or so later) I was shocked to find less of a selection, Kmart no longer had the cheep lights! Martha Stewart had taken over the Christmas Shop :( and prices were crazy! That left us with only Walmart to buy lights at. Luckily I had enough stock from 2002/3 to get me started.

But I'm just amazed by what the prices were and how they changed from year to year.

2003 ... 100 ct mini clear lights @ 50% were .75!(still have the Kmart receipts)

2010... Same lights @ 50% ...$1.25!

Kmart is always on the high end of the price scale. I don't quite remember them having sets that were $1.50 at full price. Maybe those were the indoor sets or something. In any case I remember very well when almost everywhere minis were around $1.99 per box. It was great when Hobby Lobby got down to 90% off. It's hard to beat .19 per box!

TED

while people stood and stared @ what they wanted, i was grabbing cases of LED's. Before anyone knew what him em' I had 2 carts loaded up and heading to the checkout. A lady stops me and says are you really taking all of those?? ummmm, yeah. Snooze and you lose

Don't forget to have a little Christmas Spirit! If something like that happens to me I'll say something like, "You can have some. Take what you want." Then they say, "Oh no that's ok." Most of the time they don't actually want any. They just think for some reason that you shouldn't take them all.

TED

Will Target refund the difference if it goes on sale higher? I thought I saw a sign saying they wouldn't do that if it was clearance.

It will depend on the store. some managers may (I have had one help me out). And you need to have your receipts and it has to be within their window for returns. Meaning, you can't buy something in October and try to return it in January.

They generally don't during clearance sales. I think there were too many unethical people who would buy up stuff early, return it during clearance, and then buy it again at clearance prices as soon as it was put back on the shelf. (The Oct - Jan scam mentioned above.) The stores got wise to it and made new rules. Target in particular used to put up signs (maybe still do) stating that merchandise would only be refunded at the current clearance price. Now if an employee told you (as in Luke's case) that the merchandise would not be reduced to 75% off (wrong of course) you might have a case to ask the store to give you the 75% off price since you were misled.

TED

Edited by TED

My Target has a sign saying if you're returning clearance merchandise for any reason other than it being defective you can only be refunded the current clearance price, even if you have the recipt and paid more.

I think maybe the difference here is that the extension cords aren't necessarily "seasonal" merchandise.

It sounds like you probably bought the cords at full price, so you got the full cost refunded. If you bought them on clearance, then I imagine you'd only get the current clearance price back.

No, you are missing the point. The policy is in place to prevent people from buying up at full price and returning during clearance (for a full price refund) and then buying up the same stuff on clearance. The store loses a lot of money this way. You will only get the current clearance price for a refund regardless of when you purchased or how much you paid.

That is a very interesting report. My Target has a sign that says that seasonal clearance items that are returned will be refunded for the current clearance price. Did yours have that sign posted? I would imagine that the policy at mine is to prevent just what you did (which I wish I could do too, so I'm not judging)... buy a bunch of exactly what you early in the season and return it once the major clearance hits and buy it again. Kinda like packing a tote and hiding it in a back-room! I bought a lot of stock at 50% and sure wish I could cut that bill in half now!

Ok, I wasn't going to say anything but this conversation has reached a point where I feel the need. I apologize if this sounds judgmental. I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone here. My intention is not to be judgmental but rather to insert a reality check into the discussion. I like a good clearance sale. I love getting a good deal. But there is a line that should not be crossed. It is unethical behavior to buy stuff up early in the season for the purpose of trying to return it for full price during clearance and then buy it back at clearance price. It really is just like hiding the stuff in a back room. (NOTE: I know that Shanta was not suggesting or recommending this behavior but rather was just saying it would be nice if we could.) It's like paying full price for half of a purchase and then stealing the other half. This is the entire reason for the policies that stores have put in place where they will only refund the current clearance price. Now those of us who are display enthusiasts who want to give something to our community (whether it is this board or our local community) need to hold ourselves to a higher standard. How can a person feel good about putting up a display to spread the Christmas Spirit with lights that were obtained unethically? We should not allow our enthusiasm for Christmas displays and clearance sales to cloud our judgment or compromise our behavior. A person's integrity is one of the most important things that he or she has. It should not be for sale for a few dollars worth of savings on Christmas lights.

TED

P.S. Also note that as I said before Luke's situation was different in that he made a decision to buy based on misleading information given to him by an employee.

Edited by TED

No, you are missing the point. The policy is in place to prevent people from buying up at full price and returning during clearance (for a full price refund) and then buying up the same stuff on clearance. The store loses a lot of money this way. You will only get the current clearance price for a refund regardless of when you purchased or how much you paid.

As I said above, if this is the case, then their system was busted a few weeks before Christmas. I had gone in to return some extra extension cords (had purchased 40 or so and only needed 30). My purchases were at full price, I returned them and got full price credited back to my Visa. After I returned them, we went into the store to walk around and my dad said he wanted to check out some lights... upon visiting the Christmas light area, I saw the cords were 30% off and we both ended up purchasing a few things at the 30% off price.

I agree with you that doing this intentionally is very unethical and I'm glad they have a system in place to prevent it, but at least on that occasion, the system wasn't working or they would have told me "you can only get the current clearance price" and I would have just kept the cords at that point.

Target in Metro Jackson MS areas went to 75% off. Still had some blue LEDs and multi LEDs in stock. I went for the light clips. They sell a decent one that lasts a couple of seasons.

They generally don't during clearance sales. I think there were too many unethical people who would buy up stuff early, return it during clearance, and then buy it again at clearance prices as soon as it was put back on the shelf. (The Oct - Jan scam mentioned above.) The stores got wise to it and made new rules. Target in particular used to put up signs (maybe still do) stating that merchandise would only be refunded at the current clearance price. Now if an employee told you (as in Luke's case) that the merchandise would not be reduced to 75% off (wrong of course) you might have a case to ask the store to give you the 75% off price since you were misled.

TED

I had gone into a store last year. The day before they were 50% off. The next day they were 75% off. Under the heading of "nothing to lose by asking", I asked for a credit on the previous day's purchase, produced my receipt and got it.

As I stated, it happened once. Don't know if it could ever happen again.

Some stores do a price assurance guarantee where they will refund the difference if another store, or they themselves, reduce the price below the level you bought at. It sounds like some Targets do the same, while others, like mine, specifically post rules against it. Like I said initially, I found it an interesting post.

ShantaClausSm.png

I just got back from my Target, which was 75% off. The only lights they had left were solar powered, which I have no use for.

Couldn't resist the urge to go back again today (75% at Target yesterday). They still had a lot of cool white LED M5 and the pink LED G12. I bought the rest of their blue/warm white/multi LED nets, and somehow had missed some warm white G12/M5 so bought the rest of those. In total, all at 75% off ($3/string - net lights were $4.25 or something like that?):

warm white: G12 - 46, M5 - 10, net (G12 - 90 lights) - 4

pink: G12 - 50

cool white: M5 - 28

multi: G12 - 13, C6 - 11, M5 - 2, net - 8

blue: G12 - 3, C6 - 17, net - 10, and the some 5m 4X6 nets (70 lights) - 15

I left all of the C9 and I think they were G30 size - bigger plastic covering with still just one LED, yuck.

Soooo tempting to go back and get the rest of the cool white, I probably left behind 40 boxes of those.

Happy New Year!