Hoyt and Mel be ready to be blown away!

shawniepooh

Ok so I found these items... kinda. Santa here lives with some people that my roomies grandma knows, she moved into their old house, well they have the most neatest and awesome pre blow mold item. Pictures do NOT do justice for this fine guy... for starters he is HUGE no joke 5 foot at least. He is double sided and the plastic is THICK but light does shine threw (SORRY I didn't get a night pic, I was sooooo busy it blew my mind in a bad way) and he is held together by nuts and bolts and not staples or brad nails, these are bolts! lol. His history is quite neat, he was purchased at an auction in the 60's or 70's... Santa was meant to hang from a street pole (hence his double sidedness) and only a few where made [purchased] and as far as they know he is the only survivor. He was displayed (according to them) mid 30's to the late 50's. Fine pieces of Christmas it is, and no they will NOT sell it, I tried, believe me.

So that was the Santa for Hoyt I know he will drool over it like i did.

Next a gal in a subdivision has these fine candles. Mel, I have no clue who made them I saw the "Seasons Greetings" so I thought Beco or something I don't know. She has two of them, there was a third at an antique store (and had been there for 3 years) but it is badly damaged and for it's over $100 price tag, no thanks. So if you Mel or anyone knows anything about hem chime in... the flame and base are the only things that light up, it looked like a cardboard material or something the way it was broken its not plastic, but it was waaaay high up and couldn't see that well.

post-9005-129571263714_thumb.jpg

post-9005-129571263728_thumb.jpg

post-9005-129571263738_thumb.jpg

post-9005-129571263745_thumb.jpg

Edited by shawniepooh

the unknown candles....

Shawn, it looks to me like those are NOMA candles. They are shown in the NOMA 1950 - 1962 catalogs. They are either NOMA's or a good knock off of them. The catalog description states the candle tube is "fiber glass". Most of those NOMA catalogs are on Mark Podmore's CD that he has on eBay and I think that it is also available on the blow-molded.com website.

Mel

Shawn,

The candles were made by Noma. They are lit with a floodlight bulb in the base pointing upwards to light the rest of the candle. There was also a bracket available for these candles that allowed them to be mounted on a city light pole.

A town about 10 miles from me had the same Santa on their light poles up until 1989 when they got rid of them and went to banners instead. I tried to buy the Santas at the time, but they weren't going to sell them. I found out 2 years later they tossed them out but one survived, the power company supervisor rescued one from the dumpster and took it home with him. In case you're wondering, they had 12 Santas. I never did figure out who made them.

Dave and Mel, thanks a bunch! We figured it was gonna be noma or beco (i thought i saw on ebay somewhere beco made something that said seasons greetings on it... i slept since then).. it makes since Saint Joseph (MO) did have a Noma factory there downtown i think i heard that location went out in the 70s but i could be wrong... we have found GREAT noma items in town. the candle at the mall was about 15 feet up in the air i could not see what it was made out of but it had a good gash in it.. As for the santa i love him i want him lol. Mel, there is no markings what so ever on him i looked at him from hat to toe there is no date, numbers, company or anything... Dave it's good to know they are out there.... the people said they guess anywhere from 10 to 20 of them where made but only one is still around that they know of but the majority of them where trashed. they recently auctioned off street lamps and we found 4 in town (3 displayed one in an antique mall)... too bad i didnt know that lol. too bad they only auctioned off a few santas

Edited by shawniepooh

Shawn, Beco did make a Seasons Greetings lamp post in the early 60's and GenFoam did a remake from the Beco molds. Garrison-Wagner had the Beco ones in their 1963 catalog, they are not shown in their 1964 catalog. I do not know all the years the GenFoam made them, they are in their 1990 catalog and are on the blow-catalog CD, as I recall, you have that CD.

Mel

EDIT: I just did a little more checking and found that Eatons had the Beco "Seasons Greetings" lamp post in their 1964 Christmas catalog. They had white bows with the seasons greetings on them. The ones in the 1963 Garrison Wagner catalog had the white bows also.

Edited by Mel Fischer

Thanks for the shout-out, Shawn. That IS a really cool Santa and I can see how he was meant to be displayed from a light pole. I bet he doesn't look so mean from way up high. The candles are nice, too.

hes not so bad from a distance lit up and not lit up. i figured you and mel would get a kick out of it i know how much you two love the older vaccuform ones i know i do :-)